Disagree With Reviewer?

ODragon

I tried searching the knowledge base and the forums as I know I've seen the answer somewhere so I'm hoping someone can markwell the answer to me.

If I disagree with a reviewer not listing my cache, what is the e-mail address I write to about this?

And since this area is about improving the site, maybe adding it to the faq/knowledge base would help.

Thanks.

(To this reviewer and all others, I appreciate your work and don't dislike you, just disagree with your not listing this cache).

Over time I've seen a few things come out of disagreements.

First some reviewers will take a case before all other reviewers. They have their own forums. This gives them feedback from other reviewers. I haven't seen a report of anything changing as a result but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Next the guidelines suggest bringing things to the forums for discussion. The forums are a tough crowd. But if you sell them on your idea after hearing both sides of the issue, you may have something to work with.

Last there is an email to report issues with approvers. However it's really only for reporting abusive reviewers and not really an appeal process for a decision on a cache listing. An appeal will likely see grounspeak support their reviewers decision even if they may have went the other way had they had to review the listing directly.

Keystone: Thanks, I know I read it somewhere. (And I check the box as I've read them. Doesn't mean I read them in a while though...) Either way, thanks for reminding me where it is.

RK: I will contact the reviewer first and explain my side and see where we go from there.

RK: I will contact the reviewer first and explain my side and see where we go from there.

That's really the only thing you can do. While there are supposedly ways to take such an issue to a larger audience, doing so has never* resulted in a reviewer being over-ridden, and generally serves mainly to get abuse heaped on the hider.

*To my knowledge, at least. I would love to see a counter-example, but I seriously doubt one exists.

Thanks to all for the opinions.

I sent the following and we'll see what happens

Dear {reviewer name removed},

As per the guidelines, I am contacting you to explain why I feel my cache meets the guidelines of a webcam. 

The guide lines state:

Webcam Caches

The camera must provide a photo detailed enough to identify the cacher.

I think the area we are having a disagreement in is one single word: identify.  My definition is much less strict than yours appears to be.  I read identify as when you're looking at the picture you can see there is someone in it and they are slightly more than a blob (although, my other cam is barely more than a blob).

I set up a PQ to look at webcams.  (I realize that approved caches are not reason enough to get another cache approved).  There are 102 in a 500 mile radius.  There are some of them that I would consider equal in quality, the vast majority of them are much worse with only few and far between being much better.  I am attempting to increase cache diversity in the area as well as add more caches to a relatively dead area.

While I understand your feelings, I'm hoping you would be willing to re-evaluate this cache.  I've included a picture of a different cacher on the hopes that maybe it was something in my picture and a different one might help.

Additionally, I would like to request two things.  Could you please give me an idea (example would be great) of the picture quality you would require to approve a webcam so I know for next time and don't have to waste anymore of your time.  Additionally, I would request that if you still feel like you are unable to list this cache that you bring it to your reviewers' area and ask them.  While I understand this rarely works, I really believe this webcam falls under the side of approvability.

Thank you for your time,

Ben {full name removed}

ODragon

***No one point me in the way of Waymarkers. At this point, I am trying to get it approved here. If I can't get it approved here, I may think of moving it but at this point, I have no plans to.***

I don't know about you but I could not tell if any one was a geocacher in any of the photos that was shown as an example.

Here in my area, there was a new web cam posted where the cacher would have to identify themselfs by making a human X with their body. This was done because the web cam shot was to far away to identify the cacher. Maybe you could do something like that to help get it approved.

Just a thought. Good luck with the cache.

As much fun as they are, Webcams never seemed like geocaches to me.  Perhaps they fit better as waymarks?
***No one point me in the way of Waymarkers.  At this point, I am trying to get it approved here.  If I can't get it approved here, I may think of moving it but at this point, I have no plans to.***

Everyone plays the game they like. Me, I like them, I like the variety of cache types. Sometimes I like a long hike, sometimes a nice micro, sometimes a webcam/virtual/etc.

A little surprised to see you make that comment seeing as you've logged one plus locationless and virtuals which are essentially the same...

As much fun as they are, Webcams never seemed like geocaches to me.  Perhaps they fit better as waymarks?
***No one point me in the way of Waymarkers.  At this point, I am trying to get it approved here.  If I can't get it approved here, I may think of moving it but at this point, I have no plans to.***

Everyone plays the game they like. Me, I like them, I like the variety of cache types. Sometimes I like a long hike, sometimes a nice micro, sometimes a webcam/virtual/etc.

A little surprised to see you make that comment seeing as you've logged one plus locationless and virtuals which are essentially the same...

Oh, I didn't mean anything by that. Sure, I have found a webcam and some locationless and some virtuals caches.

The webcam was fun and I would log another if I had the opportunity. Same with virtuals and locationless.

As long as they are considered geocaches I will log them if I happen to find them.

All I am saying is that in my opinion they may better fit as waymarks. just like virtuals and locationless. Nothing derogatory intended.

I also like long hikes and drive up caches. I like ammo cans, 5 gal buckets, and micros.

Another opinion, I do not see with virtuals and webcams as "essentially the same".  Virtuals typically have a piece of history to learn.  Webcams are for funny poses and silly antics (which makes them fun).

Arn't all the photos of you funny looking?????

oh burrnnnn

Another opinion, I do not see with virtuals and webcams as "essentially the same".  Virtuals typically have a piece of history to learn.  Webcams are for funny poses and silly antics (which makes them fun).

Arn't all the photos of you funny looking?????

B)

I am proud to be an embarrasment to my daughter!

This webcam cache doesn't have very good quality images.

Another cacher and I both submitted this webcam as a cache within a day of each other - I left him have it. Our admin initially rejected my submission because of the quality issue, but later sent me a note saying it could be approved if the person in the picture did something to identify themselves as a cacher. In this case, the other guy who submitted the cache decided to make everybody hold an upside-down umbrella.