Phone A Friend

Now, I would imagine that most of us have had to resort to Phone a Friend whilst caching for those well hidden boxes.

But would you find it acceptable to have to resort to PAP whilst in the middle of a 5 star rating cache when a clue is given that is so difficult that the only option you have (unless you know the answer, or have internet on your phone) is to phone that friend.

The type of general knowledge question I am thinking about is something like this:-

In what year was René Antoine Ferchault de Réaumur born? Use these four numbers ABCD and insert for your next clue N53.14.AB W001 4C.D36

Unless you were an expert on dear old Rene you would be scrabbling for your Google to get the answer but out in the field it is a different matter.

So, what about it? Is this fair game?

Sometimes it's almost essential to phone a friend. I remember doing a certain series of caches on the Isle of Wight with Pid, where completing a cache in the North, SOuth, East and West allows you to complete a final set of coords for the center. Some of the questions at each part we would had never have known so thank goodsness Mr Pharisee was there to save the day. Personally it kinda does my head in when something so important rest on the answer to a question you just might not know the answer to. What if you have travelled 100 miles, have no phone and to continue you need the answer to a question you have no idea about?

I did a cache like this a couple of years back and had to abandon because one of the numbers we needed to complete the set of coords was 'the meaning of life'? great if your a hitch hikers guide to the galaxy fan but at the time we had no idea and left with our tails between our legs!!!

Oh well - it was only a hunt for a lunchbox after all :D

no problem if i get told before that i might need to.

i'd be rather miffed to have walked miles only to find out that i'd have to go away and find out something then come back.

if it's a complicated puzzle that i'm just unable to solve then that's my problem but if it's an impossible question that's not solvable with the information to hand then.... :ph34r:

The further point worth knowing when you get to the part that requires the PAF proceedure is that friend will have to be primed that you are attempting that cache in the first place.

A bit awkward when you are 5 miles away from where you left your car (yes its going to be one of those) and the friend has decided to go out and is away from the computer.

When you are bowled that sort of googly in the middle you need someone close to google to get the answer.