Funny Muggle Stories

Humor is in the eye of the beholder.

I don’t see such events as funny since they can unfortunately lead to restrictions and scrutiny against geocaching.

Now I did find the one about how a town hid some object (not sure what it was) and some prize was to be won when it was found. Well short story is the object was not found yet most of the caches went missing. <_<

I agree, stories such as that are not funny. $$ wasted on bringing in the bomb squad, on top of that the weakening in police manpower in the area while it is investigated. Fail to find anything humerous in that.

Now, one of the stories on here I have found funny is the geocacher seeking a cache, who discovered a muggle sitting on the park bench near the cache. The geocacher held the GPS up to their ear and pretended it was a cell phone and walked past, only to notice the 'muggle' doing the same thing--talking to her Etrex Vista! Can't remember who related that story here, but I did find it amusing.

Now, one of the stories on here I have found funny is the geocacher seeking a cache, who discovered a muggle sitting on the park bench near the cache. The geocacher held the GPS up to their ear and pretended it was a cell phone and walked past, only to notice the 'muggle' doing the same thing--talking to her Etrex Vista!

Last year I was going for a ftf in a public park in Wisconsin. After I parked I noticed a suspicious looking guy wandering around the bushes. Having recently been educated on the hazards of caching in a pickle park, I decided to remain in my car and wait him out. he noticed me and casually walked to his car, which was parked a few spaces down from my own. The next 15 minutes were kinda spooky. I'd look at him, he'd look away. He'd look at me and I'd look away. Then another car pulls in and a lady with 2 kids emerged. She pulls out a yellow etrex and off they go into the bushes. Siezing the opportunity to let the guy know I was not a pickle, I got out to join them....as did he. It was pretty awkward there for a moment until we both realized the other was a cacher.

I got a kick out of a log entry by a muggle that said:

I've heard about these things. You should hide it better.

When it was hidden, in the green, green spring after lots of winter rains, the "foliage-covered" cache would have been almost impossible to find. This muggle found it after all the surrounding vegetation had dried up and turned brown.

I got out to join them....as did he. It was pretty awkward there for a moment until we both realized the other was a cacher.

We need to come up with a secret salute, or something. This is part of the reason I put a Geocaching sticker on the back of my vehicle. Instantly recognizable to a fellow cacher, nearly invisible to muggles.

I don’t see such events as funny since they can unfortunately lead to restrictions and scrutiny against geocaching.

I agree that those kinds of things are bad, we don't want geocaching to get a bad name, but it did happen...so come on, have a laugh

That's just it. They DID happen. And as a result of these events, places are putting in tighter rules and regulations, restricting geocaching activity. Ask some of the South Carolina crew what happens when public perception goes south.

We as a community must take event such as this one very seriously. If public opinion sees us as a group that finds 'terrorist scares' funny, we will quickly find ourselves banned from many places. However, if we take events such as this in a serious tone and try to learn from what went wrong each time, we'll have an easier time maintaining positive public image.

So, no, I will not have a laugh at this, and I am disturbed that you chose to.

EDIT to add: Did someone take a shoe off? I smell a sock...

Edited by dkwolf

I was doing a cache in a park and there was an older man mowing. I was at the coords but was still looking for the cache trying not to be too obvious. The man on the mower stopped, and said something about the water (from a nearby hose) wasn't very good to drink, but stopped himself and said. "Oh, your one of them...." he pointed his finger at a nearby tree where the cache (a micro) was sitting in plain sight. He then quoted the hint. My mom (who was out with me) talked with him while I signed the log. He said he just coulent understand that people had nothing better to do than come look for that thing, and that they came after it all the time. :D

<edit for spelling>

Edited by Airmapper

:D You don't seem to understand. :D

The story you started this thread with is not funny, and is nothing to laugh about. I agree with dkwolf:

. . .  I will not have a laugh at this, and I am disturbed that you chose to.

I know people do have funny muggle stories and they will be interesting to read. But, what happened in Idaho was definitely not funny, especially if you were caught in the traffic jam while the road was closed!

Not all muggle encounters have to be bad ones.

I was on the hunt for a cache one evening, following the arrow on my GPSr, which I was holding close to my waist in one hand, and referring to the cache notes I'd written in our notebook, which I was holding in the other hand. The hunt took me past several marinas.

A woman approached me out of nowhere and said "Are you looking for the boat for sale?" The question caught me off guard (why would I be looking for a boat?), and as I was fumbling for a cover story, I began, "No, um, I'm..." The woman interrupted me and said, "I saw your cell phone and your papers and thought you were looking for the boat, too." "No, I'm just enjoying the view," I replied. The woman wandered off, muttering, "I'm sure it's around here somewhere..." I found the cache, and I wonder if the muggle found the boat.

Maybe it's not that funny, but I saw it as one of those unexpected things that happen while geocaching.

My wife & I were out of town and looking for a cache that was placed in a small neighborhood park. After a brief search, and found the cache. We sat down on the edge of a sandbox to sign the log book. While we were there, a man (the muggle) was preparing for children's birthday party. Part of his preparations had him hiding things around the park - on the swings, under the picnic tables, and eventually, he came over to the sandbox. I did my best to keep the cache hidden between my feet while my wife talked to him and tried to distract him from what I was doing. He said he was getting ready for birthday party for his son that had a pirate theme. He was hiding 'buried treasure' all over the park for the kids to find. He said 'They're just little boxes with small toys in them. Things for the kids to get excited about. Not the kind of thing that an adult would look for or be interested in'.

I looked at my wife and almost burst out laughing. A little box with small toys in it, which was still resting between my feet, was the reason we drove over 100 miles to that park. We were interested, we looked, traded a few items, signed the log, and the muggles were none the wiser.

Whew.... that was close :D

Keep on Caching! - Kewaneh

• Upvote 1
My wife & I were out of town and looking for a cache that was placed in a small neighborhood park. After a brief search, and found the cache. We sat down on the edge of a sandbox to sign the log book. While we were there, a man (the muggle) was preparing for children's birthday party. Part of his preparations had him hiding things around the park - on the swings, under the picnic tables, and eventually, he came over to the sandbox. I did my best to keep the cache hidden between my feet while my wife talked to him and tried to distract him from what I was doing. He said he was getting ready for birthday party for his son that had a pirate theme. He was hiding 'buried treasure' all over the park for the kids to find. He said 'They're just little boxes with small toys in them. Things for the kids to get excited about. Not the kind of thing that an adult would look for or be interested in'.

I looked at my wife and almost burst out laughing. A little box with small toys in it, which was still resting between my feet, was the reason we drove over 100 miles to that park. We were interested, we looked, traded a few items, signed the log, and the muggles were none the wiser.

Whew.... that was close :D

Keep on Caching! - Kewaneh

:D:D:D

Copied and pasted from a log I left on a cache....

We started this one at about 10:30 at night after completing Bill's Field. We parked in the area between this and the Benchmark Cache and began our half mile walk. Arriving at the cache site my 14 year old son and I left the trail and began the hunt for the cache while the women stayed on the trail and made fun of us.

After a couple of minutes of searching with our inferior cheapo flash lights I asked my wife to decrypt the hint. About this time we noticed headlights in the vicinity of where we had parked. I told everyone to ignore the head lights, after all it might be another cacher.

About the time my wife got the hint decrypted someone said they saw police lights with those headlights and then a powerful spotlight pierced the dark the whole half mile to us.

BUSTED!!!

We abandoned the hunt for the cache and began walking back towards the cops discussing how we were going to explain this. Let me tell you, that's a long walk.

When we arrived with the cops, I commented "I didn't mean to cause such a big stir" for there were not one but two cops present. They asked us if we were out for a walk and we asked them if they had ever heard of Geocaching. Turns out they hadn't. When we explained it to them, one cop told the other one it sounded like something he would be interested in. Who knows maybe a new Geocacher in the works.

It turns out that the area we parked is a popular place to dump stolen vehicles. They told us we weren't bothering anything but I was too tired by then to make the half mile treck to the cache again. We will definately be back on our next Tulsa trip to try both of these again.

• Upvote 1
e3056142-58e1-47aa-8794-b8394e1524bd.jpg

Found this note in Mouse's tree house.  I have only had one encounter with a non-geocacher, not a good encounter for both of us - a DNF and a smart mouth punk.  I turned the other cheek and came back another day.

I recently did El Jeffe's Cache in Upper Park (GCHGWW) and there were 3 or 4 (can't remember but I think it was 4) log entries from Geology students (non-geocachers) at the local university (California State University, Chico) who had found the cache while checking out the cool strata up on the ridge where it is located.

In each case they had read the logs, made log entries, and replaced the cache. Very cool. :ph34r:

Copied and pasted from a log I left on a cache....

We started this one at about 10:30 at night after completing Bill's Field. We parked in the area between this and the Benchmark Cache and began our half mile walk. Arriving at the cache site my 14 year old son and I left the trail and began the hunt for the cache while the women stayed on the trail and made fun of us.

After a couple of minutes of searching with our inferior cheapo flash lights I asked my wife to decrypt the hint. About this time we noticed headlights in the vicinity of where we had parked. I told everyone to ignore the head lights, after all it might be another cacher.

About the time my wife got the hint decrypted someone said they saw police lights with those headlights and then a powerful spotlight pierced the dark the whole half mile to us.

BUSTED!!!

We abandoned the hunt for the cache and began walking back towards the cops discussing how we were going to explain this. Let me tell you, that's a long walk.

When we arrived with the cops, I commented "I didn't mean to cause such a big stir" for there were not one but two cops present. They asked us if we were out for a walk and we asked them if they had ever heard of Geocaching. Turns out they hadn't. When we explained it to them, one cop told the other one it sounded like something he would be interested in. Who knows maybe a new Geocacher in the works.

It turns out that the area we parked is a popular place to dump stolen vehicles. They told us we weren't bothering anything but I was too tired by then to make the half mile treck to the cache again. We will definately be back on our next Tulsa trip to try both of these again.

I was busted by 3 cops in 2 cars - about 10:00 at night. Suddenly there were LIGHTS. I explained what I was doing, showed them the cache, and replaced it while they watched. I was happy not to be arrested and they were happy not to have to arrest me and do a ton of paperwork.

The "bust" was about half a block from a donut shop that the local cops are known to frequent. Wonder why TWO cars were "in the area" right then. :ph34r:

I was doing a cache last week walking through this great bush. There wasn't a sole in sight and no cars in the parking area. I was probably about half a mile into the trail and decided that this looked like a good place to slide into the bush to start searching. I just got into the cedar trees and look up from my GPS and there is some dude right infront of me standing in the bush! I kinda did the Curly from the 3 stooges "UuUuUugh". He asked what i was doing and i told him geocaching. He was there deer hunting. I told him that i'd be extra quiet for him (fellow hunter), got my cache and split out the back door. Pretty freaky seeing someone in the middle of nowhere when you aren't expecting it.

• Upvote 1
I was happy not to be arrested and they were happy not to have to arrest me and do a ton of paperwork.

Why would you have been arrested? You weren't doing anything wrong or illegal. Is it just me who thinks it's odd that people get really nervous when they see police officers? My friend stiffens and exclaims "Oh s***" when she sees a police car behind her on the road. She is certain they are going to arrest her. For what?

Police aren't out to get you unless you are doing something you shouldn't. They are out to HELP you. I would not mind at all being approached by the police while out geocaching, in fact, I would mind less than having an ordinary muggle come up to me and ask me what I was doing.

*shrug*

• Upvote 1

My g/f (QT) and I were out caching in this little, and I mean little, state gamelands area about a half hour from our house. There were 2 caches there and when we were done and coming out of the woods a guy was walking in to do some hunting. He said, "I'm sorry am I interrupting a "picnic" or something." I just said, "Nope we're all done." Afterwards I realized how that sounded to him but I meant that we were done caching, I just didn't think about that when I answered him. She knew right away how that sounded and could tell by the look on his face what he must've been thinking. Anyway we had a little laugh about that as we were driving away.

Krazymtbr

• Upvote 1
I was happy not to be arrested and they were happy not to have to arrest me and do a ton of paperwork.

Why would you have been arrested? You weren't doing anything wrong or illegal. Is it just me who thinks it's odd that people get really nervous when they see police officers? My friend stiffens and exclaims "Oh s***" when she sees a police car behind her on the road. She is certain they are going to arrest her. For what?

Police aren't out to get you unless you are doing something you shouldn't. They are out to HELP you. I would not mind at all being approached by the police while out geocaching, in fact, I would mind less than having an ordinary muggle come up to me and ask me what I was doing.

*shrug*

I knew I wasn't doing anything illegal and didn't actually believe I might be arrested. I was also glad to see that the police were checking out what they perceived to be suspicious activity. I have no problems with cops. B)

Actually, I was a little surprised these officers hadn't heard of Geocaching before since one of the local PD is a cacher with numerous caches placed.

Here is a cut and paste of a post from one of our local cachers. He posted this in response to someone else saying they had done something embarassing. This one is really bad:

[begin cut and paste]

oh, and yeah, embarassing moments....here's one for ya:

I spent a good 20 minutes this spring sloshing around in the rain

and wet tall grass at a nameless scenic vista up on HWY 70 (with a

nearby benchmark) before making a find. Just as I was getting ready

to leave a vehicle pulled in and this guy jumps out with GPSr around

his neck and dives into bushes near his truck. "Well! his coords

must be way off!" I thought - because the cache was located at least

200ft from where he was looking. So, me being the nice guy guy that

I think I am, I march over to help him out. Now I'm standing at the

edge of the pavement yelling down into the bushes "Hey! What's going

on in there!, You findin' anything! - ha,ha! when he comes wandering

out with this perplexed look on his face. I immediately greet him

like we're old fishing buddies, grab his hand and shake it as I

introduce myself (with my screen name of course). Well, he just

stood there stuttering and stammering as I glanced at the GPSr

around his neck, which at closer inspection, I recognized as a

digital camera! When I looked back up and made eye contact with

him, all he said was "uh, I think my phone is ringing...." and then

he proceeded to, not walk, but run, back to his truck!! Not only

was I little embarassed about our encounter, but I was thoughly

regretting shaking his hand because who knows what he was shaking

just prior.......

[End cut and paste]

My first cache I ever placed was right along side a local canal that is no longer used and somewhat overgrown. It was muggled a month after it was placed and sent swimming with the fishes in the local canal. :) I moved the location a little ways into the woods and replaced it. Middlesex C - Reloaded That cache has been there for a good 6 months and had 75+ finders. :D

I headed out to check on it one weekend and found a college age girl had set up camp within 20 feet of the cache. My dog was not shy and ran up to greet her before I could make an escape undetected. :o She informed us she was visiting friends for the weekend and they had lent her the tent. Now I have had friends that made me sleep on the couch, but out in the woods? These are not even the nicest woods because they are a forgotten track of land behind a ball field.

I told her I was just walking the dog in the woods for exercise. She saw the GPSr I was caring and asked if I was one of those GPSers who was looking for a box in the woods because there was one right behind her. :) So we checked out the box and found it in great condition. I thanked her and left.

Two other geocachers found that box that weekend and commented about the tent, but neither on saw the girl. B) Later that week the tent disappeared, but the cache did not.

Loch Cache

from MASS

Cool story . . . :D

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A couple of days ago we were in a very busy area. I had already found that particular cache, so I stayed in the car while my caching partner walked across the street to find the cache. To avoid all the muggles in the area, she brought the cache back to the car to sign the log.

While she was signing the log, I looked up to see someone standing at the cache location looking at something in his hand. Whoops! :o It was a Geocacher and we had the cache. :)

My friend walked across the street and asked him if he was looking for the cache. He was . . .

It turned out it was his very first cache . . . and it just walked up to him.

That will be the easiest find he ever has. :)

• Upvote 1

My caching partner and I were looking for a micro hidden around an electrical utility box and meter in a small city park. As we're searching, a guy comes up and asks us if we work for the electrical company. He said that he noticed we had electrical current detectors (our gpsr's). He continued on, telling us that the lights in the park have been flickering. My buddy and I look at each other, deciding to go with it. So we explain that we weren't finding any problems with current leakage at the meter but will keep checking other sites. He left satisfied that something was being done and we left after finding the cache shortly thereafter.

• Upvote 1

Here goes: my first post. On one of my first geocaches I was near a marina and lots of boats w/people hanging around. I had to find the cache in a wall covered w/ grapevine and behind a car. A lady asked if I wanted her to move her car. How nice. Later a few people were watching me and one lady asked me what I was doing. I said I was geocaching. She couldn't understand what I was saying so she asked her friend what I said. Her reply? "She's looking for geodes." I still laugh about that. There were a few helpful people here, one helped me out by letting me know what poisonous or biting creatures might be in there "at this latitude"... People are funny, aren't they????

• Upvote 1

I did cache once that was down in a little creek type waterfall in front of a busy place , and when i got there there were kids all over a hundred of them on a field trip so i waited and as they all left i scanned the area and seeing where the cache was i proceeded to figure out how i was gonna get it . I spotted it and it was under a rock below the water line and try as i may i couldnt get the rock to move with my stick i use so much to retreive caches. So i figured it was another case of out of my wheelchair and onto the ground to fetch it . So out i jumped and scooted over to the bank and sat cross legged indian style and retrieved the cache signed the log replaced it and was ready to remount when i hear from behind me a group of people . They turned out to be a group of elderly folks there to see whatever the sites where and then i hear one of the ladies say OH LOOK THAT POOR MAN HAS FALLEN FROM HIS WHEELCHAIR so thinking quick i put my hands (palm up ) on my kness and look to the sky twas then i heard the lady exclaim OH LOOK HE IS MEDITATING WE BETTER LEAVE HIM BE and off they went inside and up i went with the help of a cement turtle for leverage and into my chair and on my way .Thanks to the quick thining i didnt have to resort to the usual foaming at the mouth and mumbling to get them to leave . :lol:

A couple of years ago I was geocaching in Omaha and havig problems deciding on which side of a fence the cache was hidden when a police officer approached. I started to explain what I was dong when he stopped me. He said he knew all about the cache, but had been sworn to secrecy. I started my search again when I noticed a group of teenagers watching me closely. About that time the police officer noticed them and kept them busy until I found and signed the log. :)

I have a cache not far from home. One day I decided to go check up on it, I got to the location and the cache was gone, someone had been clearing out the brush and cutting trees near the cache site. "It was a pill bottle w/ a hook in the end, hanging low on the fence near the base of a tree." I couldnt find the cache anywhere. The cache had gotten wet before and I had to change the log, but this time I didnt place the piece with Geocaching and what it is in the cache, it was just a log. So I returned home from searching, and I gathered materials to go back and re-hide the cache a new way. I got back to the location and my BOOM, there it was the cache was hanging on the fence out in the open for everyone to see. So I open it up and read the logs, they were as follows:

DMflyer

PM_Thumper

narogen

rangerroad

Ladybug44

mtmanva2

petergalembckes

SpongeBob CachePants

Stan Osbourne

I was like what is this person thinking, it wouldnt take an idiot to notice that those arent peoples real names!!! Duh.... The guy signed it and placed it wide out in the open.

At least this was a responsible muggle and he didnt take the cache with him, thats good. But Im just glad I found it before other muggles did.

I had found a cache on a Sunday Morning that was made by the expert in camoing caches in our area. When it is in your hand, there is no explaining away what it is.

I had just pulled it from it's hiding place and around the corner comes two women and their daughters, dressed in their Sunday best. I saw the literature in their hands and they started talking to me- they were Jehova Witnesses. I politely told them I wasn't interested in conversion, when the woman asked "What is that?" I explained geocaching to them and she called over the 10 year-old and said to her- "Hey. you'd be interested in this, you like electronic gagdets."

I eneded up talking to them about caching for 5-10 minutes. Maybe I converted them! :)

Edited by Wacka

I found a cache hidden on a bike trail, not far from where the trail tunnels beneath a busy road. I stood off the path and signed the logsheet. As I was rolling up the logsheet to place it back into the small plastic vial, a woman jogged out of the tunnel. As she jogged by she was grinning at me. I thought "Hey, maybe this hot jogger chick digs me." Then I looked at the rolled up logsheet in my hands and realized it looked just like a joint. So that's why she was giving me a look. :unsure:

The Finned cacher from NJ and I were looking for a FTF in (gasp!) a strip mall's large hedge line.

A couple walked straight towards us, the woman looking straight at me.  I said, "We still haven't found it".

- Non cacher, she veered to the left with the guy, steering clear of the nut job yelling things in the bushes...

That same day I stopped at the grocery store for milk n bread.  A friend/cacher was working in the cooler, and he asked how I did.  I explained the day, along with something important involving him.  Suddenly he just stopped talking.  I said "what the %^*#^.  Why aren't you answering me? This is important."

- Behind me is a well-dressed woman maybe in her seventies, who appears slightly frightened (purse clutched), because she witnessed me yelling at the milk.  Of course laughter coming from behind the glass a couple minutes later...

• Upvote 1

An old thread that isnt quite dead yet, but since I came into the forums looking to see why the site is acting up on me (does the site hate chrome?) I thought I would chime in on this topic. 

Many years ago, we were caching in an isolated area that is well known to have illegals crossing the border. I parked on the shoulder and remained in the car since it was on a hefty slant. Mike got out to find the cache. Border patrol kept passing us. Not a big deal. 

I got tired of waiting for Mike so I honked the horn. 5 border patrol vehicles with 2 agents in each descended on me before I even removed my hand from the horn. 

They were nice and once we explained why we were there, they were fine and moved along. 

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=0ad04931-c9ba-4e4d-92fb-40bda87cb729

• Upvote 1

This experience was when I was hiding a geocache, not finding one. I was walking along the sidewalk that separates a residential street from the park. It's a pretty quiet neighborhood, which is why I was surprised when I heard a car pull up and stop next to where I was walking. I continued to walk along the sidewalk toward the park. I hid the geocache. As I'm walking back to the car, someone says "Excuse me". At first I thought they were going to ask me what I'm doing walking around a park with a container in my hand. But instead, they ask me for directions to a nearby store. I tell them how to get there, and walk back the the car. That's the only experience I've had with a muggle while caching.

Edited by 321geocache