"offset" And What Does It Mean?

Ratsneve

Brand new to finding more elaborate caches... I need to do some homework before finding a cache. The instructions state that "the actual cache is offset by the following amount..." I am not questioning how to figure out what the offset is BUT rather how does the offset get applied? The original coordinates take you to a sign that directs you to another sign which directs you to a third sign over a couple miles and a couple direction changes. Both the N and W offets are + m.sss type. Specifically, do these offset amounts get added to the original coordinates or are they applied to whatever the coordinates are at the last sign used to provide the offset amounts from? This cache is called "Redmond Zoo #5" listed in the 97756 zip code. I suppose I could try the two possibilities but...I don't really want to. Now that I have typed this whole thing out and thought about it I think the obvious answer is that the offsets must be added to the original coordinates BECAUSE those are the only known coordinates. The coordinates at the last sign where the offset clues are taken from could vary from GPS to GPS which might introduce significant error. Okay, so I'll post this and see what happens. Thank you. <_<

Just to note, I hope the offsets are of the Degree Minutes Decimal Minutes type. You mention "+m.sss" Minutes Seconds - this could really complicate matters. The published original coords are certainly minutes + decimal minutes. If the offsets are indicated as seconds, you need to convert. I'm too lazy to track down the cache page from a zip code. Good luck

I recovered from my laziness and read the cache page Redmond Zoo#5 it actually seems pretty self explanatory You're going to generate a set of coords by following their directions to the third location and doing some alphabet/number conversions to get the final coords. Sounds like a nice tour of the zoo.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
Now that I have typed this whole thing out and thought about it I think the obvious answer is that the offsets must be added to the original coordinates

I think you're right, but the problem with that is, if correct, this would be an Offset (multi) cache -- not a mystery/puzzle cache as labeled. I would either assume it is a multi (like you are doing), or write the owner for clarification.

From the cache description there must be two white signs.

The posted coordinates take you to a white sign
and
find a white sign and record the first row of words
apparently refer to different white signs.
Just to note, I hope the offsets are of the Degree Minutes Decimal Minutes type.  You mention "+m.sss"  Minutes Seconds - this could really complicate matters. The published original coords are certainly minutes + decimal minutes. If the offsets are indicated as seconds, you nee to convert. 

They aren't. This is the cache.

Edited by Thot

This was my 9th cache and overall the hardest, most elaborate, and most fun to accomplish with the puzzle elements, offsets, and the hide itself. I actually had figured out how to apply the offsets correctly the first time through and it all went off without a hitch. The hardest part was actually finding which rock the cache was hidden under or hidden by. There were a dozen rocks in the area that had been disturbed within my 3 foot search radius and I was running out of locations. :ph34r:I used the wrong format in my original post for the offset. I think it should have been +m.mmm (minutes) but I knew what I meant and wasn't confused.

Edited by Ratsneve