Never Saw This 60cs Message Before

I got a strange message on my 60Cs today, "software missing." I had just pushed a button a couple of times in quick succession. I've been having occassional lockups, but I've never seen this before! It worked fine both before and after the incident. Has anyone else seen this? It's as if it couldn't find any firmware. Photo below.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

SoftwareMissing.jpg

I got a strange message on my 60Cs today, "software missing." I had just pushed a button a couple of times in quick succession. I've been having occassional lockups, but I've never seen this before! It worked fine both before and after the incident. Has anyone else seen this? It's as if it couldn't find any firmware. Photo below.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

SoftwareMissing.jpg

Nerer saw it...and hope I never do :0) This kind of thing, along with the compass "free-spinning", the altimiter page locking up, and the horitontal "squigglies" when exiting a marine point, are probably all do to little bugs in the software.

It takes a certain set of conditions or button pushing to cause the problems. The compass spinning requires a master reset for me to get things right...the "squigglies" only require a "power down, then up" to clear the screen, the altimiter problem requires a reset.

Thankfully, the occurences are a rarity...to me it seems there is a conflict in the unit where certain demands on the processor corrupt certain files in the unit. I am decidedly more deliberate (slow) when paging or pushing any buttons and I have to say, since I have "slowed down" I haven't had a single problem in over 2 mos now.....keep in mind I haven't changed any 60CS or Mapsource versions.

A search for "software missing" revealed the following threads:

60c Problem

That one is interesting because this happened when I was working with a route, though not exactly as described in the linked message above. For me, it didn't advance to the next waypoint so I hit "stop" and then hit "navigate" again, which always seems to do the trick. They come up in the same location on the screen, so I did two clicks very quickly.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. It appears to be a brief aberration that I thought was worth sharing.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

The problem for me, is when I have Off Route Recalculation set to Automatic,and when I try to stop it from recalculating, it LOCKS UP, so I swiched it to Prompted.

Also I think it is a good idea to Stop Navigation, before adding to, or changing your Route, then restart the autoroute after you do the changes to your Route.

Not a good Idea to have it automatically recalculate your route, when you want to sidetrack off of your Route, to buy some sandwitches for instance, also then when your parked, and autorouting STOPPED, then make the changes to your Route.

Edited by GOT GPS?