Any Recommendations For Rino 120?

knlcox

I got a Rino 120 last winter with no manual and no accessories except a wrist strap. It has taken me a while to actually sit down and learn how to use it. The settings were all jacked up. Now that it's actually working, and I'm moving ahead for Geocaching... what can this thing really do or not do? What programs or accessories does any and everyone recommend? Any and all inputs on the Rino 120 accepted. Thanks!!

I have a couple of 120's, so here's a small sample of what you might need...

• Rubber bashguards from Garmin. A pack of two of these cost about $20US and absorb many of the bruises your GPS will get. My wife took the bashguard off her Rino this weekend and promptly dropped it on a rock giving it a nasty scratch.
  • Garmin US TOPO or Garmin Metroguide software. These are maps to download to the GPS depending on whether you want roads or terrain. Metroguide is pretty good. The TOPO maps are the 1:100000 scale, so they aren't great for going in the back country. Other Garmin software like City Select will work, but will be overkill because the Rino 120 doesn't do autorouting.
  • Energizer 2500 Nimh rechargable AA's with a Maha 204 charger. I've had exceptional luck ordering from Thomas Distributing, btw.
  • Another Rino to talk to and exchange location information. I'm serioiusly considering the new Rino 530.

Good luck and welcome.

-E

Hmm, I thought I'd typed a reply to this once already this afternoon... maybe it didn't go threw??

anyways, what I said was something like:

If you want the manuel, download it free from garmin Here.

And that you should try and get a cable for you gps. Its needed to transfer waypoints, and to load/reload mapsource maps. The cables seem to be a little hard to get and a little more costly, if this is because their seem to be relatively few rinos, or the cable end only fits a couple units, the rinos (the etrex cable seriously fits like 20 units) or maybe both??

anyways for the unit itself:

Its ok

gps, good as any gpsr

radio, good as any frs (frs is kinda sucky as an actual radio but they require tests or liceneses)

I have a 120 I use at events where its obvisiouly there will be someone to talk to. If there wasn't I would probably disable the radio part to save battery power.

The polling feature (two or more rino users can send there locations to each to distance range and direction) sounds good. Theres not many rino users around, even at events, so I have gotten a chance to play with this feature, but it sounds cool.

Yes, I read that the radio isn't that great, but I got it for free... so I'm not complaining. I've begun to immediately turn it off when I turn on the unit to save on the batteries. So far my coords have gotten me within about 5-7 feet of the few caches I've found, so that's good too. I just talked a friend into buying a eTrex Legend yesterday though after showing him what Geocaching is all about.