Geocoins Are Guaranteed Money Makers

Cav Scout

Remember the grassroots of geocaching? :lol:

I am finding myself buying all the geocoins I can get my hands on without ever

taking a look at just who I'm buying a coin from... I'm addicted :blink:

There was once a time not to long ago if you found a metal geocoin it was from a cacher who had been a cacher for a while or from someone who had a decent number of finds to have cause to make a geocoin to leave in caches :blink: .

I am noticing new coins coming out from just about anyone now days. It seems more of a money thing now with personal geocoins and its caused us to fight and call each other bad things. Very seldom do you actually find a cacher who only trades coins and sticks by that rule :lol: . Looks like it has gotten to a point that if I want to make money all I have to do is get a profile, have about ten cache finds and thats that, I'm now ready to mass produce a thousand coins and make money.

I love collecting geocoins just as much as I love geocaching, but is it just me or are people are starting to worry about how many geocoins they have now compared to their cache finds that its causing them to buy every available geocoin in the geo world?

One of these days someone will catch onto this market and start making personal geocoins for each profile they can make up and start making a profit from the real geocachers with good intentions and sell us all the coins they can produce.

I'm not putting down geocoins because I love geocoins just as much as the rest of you.

Just pointing out a fact. Watch down the road and see what happens. Its already started... ;)

One of these days someone will catch onto this market and start making personal geocoins for each profile they can make up and start making a profit from the real geocachers with good intentions and sell us all the coins they can produce.

You mean like trying to produce a State Geocoin when you don't live in that State, even though their local organizations are already working on one?

You mean like trying to produce a State Geocoin when you don't live in that State, even though their local organizations are already working on one?

Ouch <_<:o !

So... Is that any different than New Mexico or North Dakota? How is that any different than the USA geocoin? I did not get to vote on that one.

Who cares. The last I checked there were no exclusive rights to be had on state geocoins.

CavScout has done a GREAT job with every coin he has designed thus far. I cannot wait to see what he does with Illinois.

Since the geocoin forums were opened, there has not been any nasty or derogatory remarks made to posters. It has been very enjoyable not to have to wade through the crap that lives in the regular forums. Is it really necessary to turn the geocoin forums into a place where the negative and derogatory remarks fly freely?

Edited by LadeBear68

I think there are easier ways to make a buck. Let's say someone gets a coin made for $3.50 which they sell 1000 of for $7. PayPal surcharges will take ~$300 of that. There will be a minimum of $600 postage (not including insurance) and $50-$100 for padded envelops. That leaves about $2500 "profit." Say about 200 hours are involved in design coordination, e-mail and forum monitoring, order tracking and database management, packaging, and mailing, the hourly return is about $12.50/hour. I doubt anyone is doubling the price of their coin, so the hourly return is even less than that.

The Alaska geocoin project ended up about $150-$300 to the good spread across 400 orders and 1900 total (brass, silver, gold relief) coins, so IF I were keeping all the proceeds, I made about $1/hour. The funds remain in a stand-alone account as seed money for when Alaska gets an organization up and running. Hence my comment again that there are easier ways to make a buck.

Well....it's sure to happen at some point. Folks will see money and try to make it. I suspect, however, that the wider audience of eBay will be used. A false scarcity can be created (100 coins minted), they can be released to eBay slowly and generate 4-6X (or more) over the cost of production.

The only response -- stop trying to get EVERY coin. I know I was and have since stopped. I cannot justify spending $100-$300 on the coins each month and have, instead, concentrated on placing coins in caches and trading with folks that create their own coin.

I may even follow the lead of John Lacey on my next batch of geobones, where you have to meet me to get one. However, I have also met a lot of nice people "virtually" and wouldn't want to not allow them a chance at one.

It's a tough idea, but I hope most folks follow at least a 50/50 rule where they place half their coins in caches and maybe trade half.

Although not an excuse, I have a 5 month old and a 4 year old and cannot always get out to find caches. Hence my placed caches are 70% of my found cache totals! and I have three unique geocoins to each found cache! That will change soon enough! I really enjoy placing the coins in caches I place. I also place unactivated TB's, Geocaching patches, pins, and legitimate outdoor gear. I just figure that nobody wants anther plush toy.

Copied from Cav Scout's profile. Currently serving a one year tour in Iraq. See you all soon!!!

I will restrain myself from telling junglehair EXACTLY what I think of her post. But I want to make sure nobody else misses why he can't be in Illinois right now.

In Junglehair defence I think she's refering to the fact that Cav Scout doesn't live in Illinois, it's just his home state. I don't think being in Iraq has anything to do with it.

I don't really care either way. I say make 2 state coins. Even then I might not even buy either of them. <_<

That's not the topic of this thread, though, so I'll drop it now.

Copied from Cav Scout's profile. Currently serving a one year tour in Iraq. See you all soon!!!

I will restrain myself from telling junglehair EXACTLY what I think of her post. But I want to make sure nobody else misses why he can't be in Illinois right now.

If you look back CR, you'll see that he currently resides in AK (and WA before that). That is, when he isn't getting free room and board from Uncle Sam in some exotic locale <_<

What an amazing world we live in when a guy can make sure Iraqi's get a chance to vote during his work hours and communicate with us via email and forums regarding the geocoin designs he's working on!

I think the obvious thing to do is not to buy coins you don't like or want. Unless you are very wealthy there is no way to get every coin that will ever be made.

I enjoy collecting the various state and country geocoins, and even the holiday ones I like. I think those will be nice to give out as little presents to my family who geocache and friends as well. They will also be nice for events.

Personal coins are another story for me... I like the idea of collecting the personal coins of people who I have met. Or what I consider "famous" geocachers (yes I know that is extremely corny) I would like to have a moun10bike coin or a CCCooper coin (if there was one.) I think that is neat. I don't need a coin from a total stranger unless I think it is REALLY cool.

As far as Mass produced coins, which already exsist, if that is your cup of tea, go for it. I don't think we need to be hurling insults around at each other over coins. If you want them, buy them, if you don't... Then find something else to worry about.

I just know that I don't NEED to buy every coin out there. Just the ones I like. :-)

Edited by OurWoods
And is just me, or do most of the haters on this forum come from NY?

No, just myself. Maybe Junglehair, too. I don't know if she should be considered a hater, though. <_<

On second thought I just know what I like and what I think is ridiculous. No hating going on there, just personal opinion.

Edited by Vargseld? ™

My hubbie, Passing Wind, has logged 300+ caches since this May. We've got a 3yo and 4 month old. I started designing coins and pins. This is my way of getting involved in his hobby. In protest to his over-caching I may choose never to log one myself.

Making a coin or pin takes a lot of time, e-mail and space on the credit card. It's financial gamble and we're not in the position to give it away at cost. Cav Scout has an amazing portfolio going for him all while in Iraq. Say hi to my buddy Bobby if you see him.

There's a demand for what we do. I personally won't over step my bounds by producing coins for state clubs that won't request them. Designing is what I do for a living and I'm gonna keep on keeping on.

...Who cares. The last I checked there were no exclusive rights to be had on state geocoins....

Cav Scout touched on a valid issue. The pie is only so big, the market is finite. It's a fair question to ask if ever Tom Dick and Harry who can create a GC.com account can sell a personal coin, or should it be reserved for cachers with some time or finds under their belt? It's also a fair question to ask how many state coins we need and if it should be someone like Cav Scout or the IL groups.

As you have pointed out there are commercial coins out there now. My coin group voted and commercial coins got a thumbs down for the type we are interested in. Others buy them, but when the wallets are stretched thin are those same people going to buy a state coin or are they going to stand by the commecial coins?

Is there an exclusive right on challenge coins? I don't recall seeing that amendement to the constitution, but odds are I can't go make one and have it be official, or accepted. Geocoins need to be hashed out.

Cav Scout is a wonderful person and there is never any need to be bashing anyone.

The Oklahoma coin is not being done by Oklahoma, but it is being done with their premission, I see nothing wrong with that.

There is going be an actual Kansas coin done. Does anybody not notice the coin being done now is personalized? When is a personal coin a state coin? I will admit I was upset to see the "Kansas" coin be personlized and I myself do not, and never will see it as their state coin. I am glad somebody else is stepping up to make another one.

People can sit here all day and never be happy with what other people are doing.

That's life. <_<

I wish there were more Cav Scouts in the world. I served a brief stint as active duty, though never anywhere combat. Anyone who fights for our nation while helping the geocaching community and giving geocoins to veterans and other active duty personnel can produce any state coin he wants. Thanks for the service Cav Scout!!!

I hope there aren't people out there just trying to make money on goecachers, but as many others have stated, if you don't want to buy, dont buy.

...I will restrain myself from telling junglehair EXACTLY what I think of her post. But I want to make sure nobody else misses why he can't be in Illinois right now.

It's a fair opinion that the IL coin should come from:

1) The IL Groups.

2) An IL Resident.

3) A former IL Resident.

4) Some random person.

In about that order. Iraq doesn't make someone automatically better qualified to make a coin. Cav Scout is perfectly capable of having stayed current in the IL group of his choice just as he's stayed current in making coins. He could have participated in the coin that way or even lead the coin effort for his IL group. He didn't and instead brought it up in the forums.

What Junglehair has pointed out is perfectly fair given the topic.

...Anyone who fights for our nation while helping the geocaching community and giving geocoins to veterans and other active duty personnel can produce any state coin he wants. ...

Someone else bought those coins for veterans. My hat is off to them. Cav Scout had the idea for the coin, and it was something that had not been done. That was a good niche.

Credit where credit is due.

I'm really not a hater, and typically not a flamer either. I was just shocked to see that Cav Scout was the one that posted this message. I had to double check and see if that really was the same guy that was posting about the Illinois coin just last week.

I like to collect the state coins and I don't mind when the profits go back to the state organizations. I don't think joe blow geocacher should be the one that profits from the sale of a so called State coin though. Even if they sell the coins at cost, that could make it difficult for the actual state organizations to compete price-wise if they try putting out a coin.

I don't mean to imply that Cav Scout is out to get rich quick over the sale of geocoins. His original post on the Illinois coin was a fair question. I disagreed with him after several posts that the local organizations were working on a coin and his response was basically "I can do mine first". I was happy to see that he eventually backed down from that and will let the local groups do their own coin.

I am noticing new coins coming out from just about anyone now days. It seems more of a money thing now with personal geocoins and its caused us to fight and call each other bad things. Very seldom do you actually find a cacher who only trades coins and sticks by that rule signalmad.gif . Looks like it has gotten to a point that if I want to make money all I have to do is get a profile, have about ten cache finds and thats that, I'm now ready to mass produce a thousand coins and make money.

Being as I'm too cheap to worry about actually amassing a large geocoin collection I may have missed some things that would make sense, but as it is I don't understand what your saying.

Are there people that are making personal coins purely to sell? or are you talking about qusi-'groups' that are making coins and selling (at a large profit?)?? <_<

or some third thing I've missed?

I don't mean to imply that Cav Scout is out to get rich quick over the sale of geocoins. His original post on the Illinois coin was a fair question.  I disagreed with him after several posts that the local organizations were working on a coin and his response was basically "I can do mine first".  I was happy to see that he eventually backed down from that and will let the local groups do their own coin.

If you look back at the forums, you'll see that the only discussion that could be found on the creation of an Illinois coin was whether to make them trackable and which numbers everybody wanted. And this was after 3 months of discussions. So that's why Cav Scout said that he could get it done quicker, because he could. And Cav Scout backed off when somebody from the groups said that they were past that stage but it just hadn't been posted in the forums.

I am producing my coin as a signiture item and was never done for a profit. I did sell some of them to help with the costs and to get some to the collectors, but never planned on selling them all. I wanted some to put into special caches and as first to finds. In all actuality, I am paying for over half of this coins production. They are still limited and not everyone could buy one. Hopefully that will keep them as a nice find for some people. I don't have a lot of logged caches, but I was caching before I had a computer to be able to log them all. I enjoy this sport and plan to keep going.

The fact is, I did not make them for a profit, nor did I even come close to making one.

As far as someone else doing it, that remains to be seen.

I live in NY, but I designed the AL coin... flame away.  <_<

It's not a matter of who designs the coin, it's a matter of who profits from the coin. At least that's my take on things.

I only know a of few coins where there was actually a profit. Most of them are sold at cost (which includes gc tracking, paypal fees and sometimes shippping too).

Edited by AtlantaGal

I'm born and raised in Pekin, Illinois.... <_< Graduated HS there, My two sons are born there, my family lives there, my home of record for my military files say Illinois, my driver license says Illinois.

You must have me mistaken for someone else.

Edited by Cav Scout
Cav Scout is perfectly capable of having stayed current in the IL group of his choice just as he's stayed current in making coins. He could have participated in the coin that way or even lead the coin effort for his IL group. He didn't and instead brought it up in the forums.

What Junglehair has pointed out is perfectly fair given the topic.

I never mentioned anything about state geocoins in this thread (go to the first thread) I am just talking about mass produced personal geocoins.

The state geocoins are great! <_<

Someone else bought those coins for veterans.  My hat is off to them.  Cav Scout had the idea for the coin, and it was something that had not been done.  That was a good niche.

I designed the OIFGA coin with my own hands and placed the order for the coin. A kind and generous cacher, after several emails back and forth came up with the idea of purchasing the Gold OIFGA geocoin for the Military geocachers.

Please don't cheapen the meaning of the OIFGA coin by posting note like that in this thread please.

Edited by Cav Scout

I do not think that coin production at current prices can be profitable. The retail cost would need to be at least $10 or more on a pretty lackluster coin (in terms of production quality).

I know this from the experience of the geobone and the new Red-Handed coin (which I now know is going to COST me money to provide to others -- not much, but certainly no profit).

I think that any topic or subject is fair game for a coin for anyone. If I make my own Canada coin -- who will stop me? I live here and have my own perspective on what is "Canadian" -- so I make a coin.

These things are NOT legal tender or even geocaching "tender". Just buy those coins that have the combination of price, quality and personal appeal. Although there will be certain issues that could generate a profit, I think if this occurs it will be short-lived. We all know the approximate production cost and demand is not likley to rise beyond a certain level except for a few issues.

The larger question is: "Do you care if someone is selling geocoins at a profit?" Does it change the "spirit" of what the coin is intended to be? I see the coins as cache items and personal "calling cards". How many people see these as collectibles -- investments? Hard to tell. I guess like the game itself, we all just have to play the way that derives pleasure for us personally.

Please read the forum guidelines:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

The geocoins seem to have become a craze, like beanie babies and cabbage patch dolls. If you don't want to buy them, don't . If you do, then do, If you only want to trade, then trade. If you only want to be suckered into paying way more on ebay, then go that route. But keep your flames to yourself.

Can someone make money from selling coins? Yes

Is it worth the time? Yes, only if they always sell high number of coins.

I wanted to make my own personal coin to drop in caches but due to my design, the cost of the coin was as much as creating a coin that was trackable on GC.com.

I could reduce the cost of the coin by increasing the number I ordered. Hence I opened up for sales to help cut the cost. Bellow is what the amount I made.

coin $1,269.00

envelops $41.32

total $1,310.32

total cost $1,310.32

number coins 181

cost per coin $7.24

Sale price 5.25

$ collected 950.25

% fee 2.755725

flat fee 54.3

$ total 893.194275

Profit -$417.13

That -$417.13 is the cost to ME to make the coin.

I also charged s/h which some thought was costly. I took four coins put them in an envelope and took it to the post office and asked how much to send this envelop 1st class with tracking to 32526 from 54656. So, that established my cost for shipping 1-4 coins. The higher quantities were based on flat fees from USPS service.

So, I might come ahead .25 -.75 cents on some coin orders that were only 1-3 coins by $16.00. This won’t even get close to covering the -$417.13 I had to pay to get the # of coins I wanted.

I just putting this out so people know that the small numbers of coin orders are hard to make profit on. Now those running into the 500+ can make money and I personally have no problem if someone or an organization manages to create a coin that has such demand.

Did I get 300+caches? NO. I was never in a position until recently to pay out a lot of money for a GPS unit when I first heard about GC.com. So, I had to sit around a few years tell GPS units came down in price.

Does this or should this prevent me from spending MY own money to make a coin? Nope.

Does this or should this prevent me from selling or trading my own coin? Nope.

As many have said people just need to buy what they like and skip those that seem to be made by those trying to make some money or like mine just trying to reduce the cost of percoin by increasing qty made.

I do believe that there will be someone or some company that will try to make money off the geocaching. But they only can make money if you buy. <_<

There are many neat coins out there and many that are typical but each means a lot to the person that made it.

Someone else bought those coins for veterans.  My hat is off to them.  Cav Scout had the idea for the coin, and it was something that had not been done.  That was a good niche.

...Please don't cheapen the meaning of the OIFGA coin by posting note like that in this thread please.

The purpose of my post was to make sure the person who paid for the coins for the vetrans got credit for their gift. I also pointed out that your coin idea was original and that you had developed a niche.

Quite frankly I could have stopped after pointing out that someone else paid for the coins, but I thought it fair to recognize a good idea, after the IL coin had so much controversy.

Nothing in that post was as you indicated.

coin  $1,269.00     

envelops  $41.32     

total $1,310.32     

total cost                $1,310.32     

number coins  181     

cost per coin  $7.24

Sale price 5.25

$ collected 950.25

% fee 2.755725

flat fee 54.3

$ total 893.194275

Profit -$417.13

Let's see... the coins COST you $7.24/coin to make... and you decided to sell them for $5.25/coin.....

Hmmm I wonder why you ended up eating a $417+ loss?!?!? :D

The purpose of my post was to make sure the person who paid for the coins for the vetrans got credit for their gift. 

Everyone who paid for a OIFGA coin at the OIFGA web site had a opportunity to read in bold letters a special thank you to the geocacher who paid for the Gold OIFGA coins. Recognition and credit was never left out for them... I am asking to please leave the OIFGA coins out of this thread.

Edited by Cav Scout

coin  $1,269.00     

envelops  $41.32     

total $1,310.32     

total cost                $1,310.32     

number coins  181     

cost per coin  $7.24

Sale price 5.25

$ collected 950.25

% fee 2.755725

flat fee 54.3

$ total 893.194275

Profit -$417.13

Let's see... the coins COST you $7.24/coin to make... and you decided to sell them for $5.25/coin.....

Hmmm I wonder why you ended up eating a $417+ loss?!?!? :D

Thats a really odd number of coins to have made....

or is the thread to make a coin, then sell enough of them that 'yours' are free ??

Everyone and their mother is making coins now, some for profit. Some have nothing really related to geocaching on them. Some are being made by people that have only just started caching, or people with more coins than finds.

But all of that is ok. There is a major coin collecting mania going on now, which may or may not last, so pretty much anything will sell hundreds if not thousands of coins.

I decided that the only really healthy way for me to continue my collecting was to just worry about myself, and collect the coins I want, and not have a need to get every coin. I've passed on several personal and other coins I could have easily gotten, including the now-ubiquitous "special limited edition metals". I'm much happier with being selective, and oddly enough it feels almost as good to pass on some coins as it does to buy or trade for others.

For me, geocoins are secondary to geocaching. If the coins reflect geocaching, I'll probably want them, but if they're created for another agenda - profit, geocoin trade-bait, whatever - I'll often skip them.

To answer Cav Scout's orginal post, I believe that geocoins are more important than geocaching to some of collectors, but they are a minority overall and if it makes them happy then that's fine. Don't worry about that though, just collect what makes *you* happy.

I do think it's unfortunate that Groundspeak have decided to create a policy of allowing so many geocoin icons, some of which are assigned to for-profit groups, but I can't bash them for supporting their commercial self-interest *too* much.

The $417 was my cost to keep the number of coins that I wanted to have.

To break even all I had to do was sell off what I kept or charge people more per coin to pay for mine.

Personally I'm against someone selling X# of coins and getting others to pay for what they are keeping. (Hope I stated that correctly.) If someone decides to do that then that is their choice and I hold nothing against them.

Short point is not much profit in small orders unless high markup or large qty. (Typical finances)

The $417 was my cost to keep the number of coins that I wanted to have. ...Personally I'm against someone selling X# of coins and getting others to pay for what they are keeping. ...

I agree. I've got a coin in the works and made the decision early on that I'd pay for my share of the coins I'm keeping. It limits the coins in my posession, but it seems the fairest way since the die fees etc. are already shared among a lot more coins.

Come on people, it's simple Economics 101. Supply and Demand. If I make it, they will buy. I did design my own coin and had so much fun with it, I thought I would try it again with a Holiday series of coins. I had no shortage of buyers which made the venture almost risk free. As far as profit goes, I will admit at one time I had thought about selling 200 of my personal coins to pay for all 300 I had purchased, but backed down from that idea early on, as I came to my senses about selling my personal coin. I did however sell a few at cost to several cachers in Scotland, who didn't have the opportunity to trade because of lack of their own coins.

The Christmas Coin is a different matter. When I started designing and planning the coin, I set an estimated price of $8.50 to include shipping, not knowing what the final value of each would be. Let me say it was close, but not a loss. I also decided that since I was doing this for the enjoyment of making coins and all that goes with that, that the profit would go to charity (Make-a-Wish). This put to rest to alot of people the notion that I was out to make money off my fellow cachers, which is not the case and I surely do not want to be labeled in such a way.

If you don't want a coin, don't buy. There will always be others on a waiting list who do want the coin. I really don't care for rap music, but I don't go on their forums and tell them how ridiculous I think they are for making it, buying, etc.

This area of geocaching is new and taking off fast, and if we keep up the honest and ethical way of doing things it'll continue in a good light. But, if we allow (by our actions, i.e. purchasing) a few people to start making obscene profits, then no one is to blame but ourselves. Demand and supply, capitalism at it's best.

Looks whats happening on Ebay. Geocoin made from a meteorite!!! This is fine example of money making at its best. What is the future of geocoins?

Right now is the future of geocoins. It is happening as we speak. More people are making them, trading them, selling them, and putting them into caches.

And logging them. With or without touching them.

It is not possible to control what the "future" of geocoins is, just get in and do what works for you: make them, trade them, collect them, sell them, log them, don't log them, or put them into caches.

It all makes geocaching more popular!

--Marc

October 19, 2005 @ 10:05 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Edited by SilverMarc

I live in michigan and I am thinking of making a IL geocoin. Go ahead and try and stop me.

You could boycott my coin but I am confident that will not work. There is way to many coin whores out there that would buy one regardless of who is selling and and where the profits (if any) would go.

I guess my point is who owns the right to create a state geocoin?

Is it so bad if a state has more than one coin?

I think it would be great if IL had 10 different coins

Keep in mind the more coins there are, the more chances all you coin junkies will get a fix collecting them.