Event Cache!

Airmapper

I'm thinking of going to an event cache next week. What can I expect? Do you go caching to caches placed for that event, who gets the TB's? I'm just want to know about event caches in general and what to expect when I go to one.

P.S., I'm not sure if I can make this one, my plans are a little up in the air now, but I'd still like to hear about it.

It varies widely depending on the event, but you can plan on meeting a lot of great people. At first you might feel like you're waking into a giant clique because everyone might seem to know everyone else, but at every event I've been to, newcomers have been welcomed enthusiastically. Don't listen to them about the part about rookies having to get up on the table and sing the Geocaching Anthem. There is no need to stand on the table.

Some events do have caches planted just for the event. Many don't. I prefer the latter because you get to socialize more.

At the events I've been to there has been a table or bucket at the door, or near the entrance or registration table (or whatever central point) for people to drop off TBs. Others can just browse through them to see if they can help any on their mission, or just for an interesting one or two to take.

I've been to three Event Caches so far and they have been great fun. It is wonderful to finally put faces to those names you have seen only in logbooks or online logs before. :blink:

Depending on the event, there may, or may not be caches to find, although people use the Event as an excuse to find nearby caches before or afterwards.

The TBs are there for anyone to look at. If someone can help a TB on its goal, they will grab it. Sometimes people who own those rare and special coins, like a Moun10Bike coin, will bring one and let people hold "the precious." ;)

I hope you can make it . . . you will have a great time . . . :blink:

Events have been a blast for Judy & I. We have gone to four this year and we always meet people whos logs we have read and wanted to meet. Everyone always seems to go out of their way to be friendly. The food is always great and more than enough. Usually there is caching around the event. Yesterday we went to one in a small Pennsylvania town and as we drove through town, we saw many people walking around town looking at their hands . It seemed like the whole town was caching. We picked up 20 live caches yesterday and still spent hours at the event. If you get the chance to go, GO!!

It varies widely depending on the event, but you can plan on meeting a lot of great people.  At first you might feel like you're waking into a giant clique because everyone might seem to know everyone else, but at every event I've been to, newcomers have been welcomed enthusiastically.

Yep. Right you are.

You'll feel like an outsider for about 2 seconds. :blink:

I have been to 44 events in 5 states and one thing holds true: Geocachers are the same wherever you go. :blink:

One thing I was concerned with when considering attending my first event was the weirdo factor considering that we are a bunch of folks who, for the most part, met through the internet. The weirdo factor is also very low IMO, but then look who's talkin'. ;)

One thing you can expect at an event cache is spoilers, OR as I like to call them, hints. :lol:

You may also get the inside track on the very best/worst caches in the area.

You'll probably leave having made a whole bunch of new friends.

Edited by Snoogans

The internet factor did cross my mind. I guess I'm just as "wierd" as the rest of you, I wonder around the woods/ parking lots/ parks/ looking at my hand.

(Wierdness is in the eye of the.... muggle)

I'll se about going, calendar is still up in the air though. (It's hard to read it up there in the air like that. ;) )

I put on an event cache with the Iowa Geocachers Org. and was it ever fun!

I got to meet cachers that I had communicated with, but never met.

It worked out great, and lots of TB's changed hands at the event.

I can't wait till I go to or host another one! Event Caches Rock!

Edited by K0BKL
I'm thinking of going to an event cache next week. What can I expect? Do you go caching to caches placed for that event, who gets the TB's? I'm just want to know about event caches in general and what to expect when I go to one.

P.S., I'm not sure if I can make this one, my plans are a little up in the air now, but I'd still like to hear about it.

Which event do you plan to go to? I am having mine in Elizabethtown on the 22 Oct and I am going to the one that KTAG is having in Western Kentucky the next day. It would be great to see you at any of these. The event I am having will have 5 event caches and you will meet a great bunch of folks. As for the one in Western Kentucky. I do not know many folks down in that area, so you will not be alone in being a stranger. Trust me, You will have a great time at what ever event you go to. As far as Travel Bug in my area, you will find that most people around here have had there share of them and we will proably be glad to have someone take a few off our hands.

KTAG3 is the one in question. I've definitely got other plans on the 22nd, so that ones out. (Bummer)

It sounds like a lot of fun, BTW I've never seen so many TB's in one spot, there must be over 30 TB/ Geocoins, and I'm getting watchlist E-mails daily.

Edited by Airmapper

We also plan on attending the KTAG event, it will be my 115th event attended, there is nothing like it, rubbing elbows , swapping geocaching stories and putting faces with folks you have only seen their login name on cache pages on the web. There will be food but they are asking you to bring a covered dish to share, me I am bringing Pieeeeeeeee.

Look forward to meeting you

Joe