Oldest Puzzle Cache In Canada

wavector

I am going to have become a Premium Member soon just so that I can avoid the searches that a mere Member has to do to try and get some answers to general questions. I have been looking at puzzle caches having recently placed my first and I think that this cache, Gutter's Cache may be the oldest puzzle cache in Canada.

It is the only puzzle cache in Lethbridge but Poor Doggie is very close and was created just four months later in 2002. There haven't been any puzzle caches placed in Lethbridge since. Medicine Hat has never had a Puzzle cache before and I am thinking I might place a second one that is easier than my first. It is difficult to gauge the level of challenge with no feedback other than "impossible to find" which is what non-geocachers tell me when they see my cache.

It is interesting to note that the only mystery involved in Gutters Cache is why there is no log book. Every last bit of paper in the cache is signed, the cache container itself is completely signed inside and it continues. I am going to put a new sharpie in there on my next visit rather than a logbook. ;) Maybe I will take some pictures of the cache itself as well.

So can some kindly Premium Member tell if Gutter's Cache is the Oldest Puzzle Cache in Canada ?

Thanks Blue Quasar

I see that cache is archived, that makes it very hard to find if you are scanning lists (member queries), I can only see active caches when I look in each province.

How about active puzzle caches ?

Gutter's Cache has ben ownerless for a while though Gutter did check into the site earlier this year. He announced he was moving to the other side of Canada a long time ago.

Does anyone know of any active puzzle cache older than Gutters's Cache in Lethbridge, Alberta.

What is the longest solve time on a puzzle cache ? Are there unsolved Puzzle Caches that are months old, years ?

Ballgame Oct 20/01

and

The Great Canadian Book Exchange Oct 27/01

are both listed as Mystery caches

Yup, you're right. Both are listed as Mystery caches. Mystery??? Hardly! And most definitely not Puzzles! Why they're listed this way I'll probably never know. The first is for finding a golfball in a park. The second is a simple book exchange. The real mystery here is how these ended up being listed as Mystery caches!

I am going to have become a Premium Member soon just so that I can avoid the searches that a mere Member has to do to try and get some answers to general questions. I have been looking at puzzle caches having recently placed my first and I think that this cache, Gutter's Cache may be the oldest puzzle cache in Canada.

It is the only puzzle cache in Lethbridge but Poor Doggie is very close and was created just four months later in 2002. There haven't been any puzzle caches placed in Lethbridge since. Medicine Hat has never had a Puzzle cache before and I am thinking I might place a second one that is easier than my first. It is difficult to gauge the level of challenge with no feedback other than "impossible to find" which is what non-geocachers tell me when they see my cache.

It is interesting to note that the only mystery involved in Gutters Cache is why there is no log book. Every last bit of paper in the cache is signed, the cache container itself is completely signed inside and it continues. I am going to put a new sharpie in there on my next visit rather than a logbook. :blink:  Maybe  I will take some pictures of the cache itself as well.

So can some kindly Premium Member tell if Gutter's Cache is the Oldest Puzzle Cache in Canada ?

I'm confused. More than usual.

Your own cache sure appear to have all the normal features of a puzzle cache.

• Cache is not at the listed coordinates
  • Have to do a bunch of jiggery-pokery to figure out where it is

But how do the others you listed fit the bill. They just look like normal caches to me.

Same thing with the one BQ mentioned. How is this a puzzle? Where's the brain-bending challenge? I think there's a big difference between a mystery cache and a puzzle cache. I wish they had different icons.

Trimbles Trek:

Same thing with the one BQ mentioned. How is this a puzzle? Where's the brain-bending challenge? I think there's a big difference between a mystery cache and a puzzle cache. I wish they had different icons.

I did not actually READ the cache, I only sorted my database by date.

For me, an not to be off topic.. I don't like the terms "Unknown Cache" or "Mystery Cache". Too vague, flimsy

I do like "Puzzle Cache" as long as they actually are puzzles. The only thing I don't like about Puzzle Caches is that the co-ords can impact other caches due to proximity or list areas that are unrelated (I'm guilty of doing this too... my mistake)

But as for the one I posted... it is the oldest cache in Ontario that was listed as a ? icon. That is, to my knowledge.

:blink: The Blue Quasar

The oldest active"real puzzle" cache may be Decrypt+Math=Pennies! by Buddy11 in Ontario.

Hi Peter and Gloria

Thanks for the information, I appreciate the help.

It appears many early puzzle caches were not really puzzles.

The trend in Alberta is that many offset caches are being listed as puzzles. The placers ask a few simple questions like What number is found where ? and then use the numbers to indicate the location of the cache.

We have multis listed as traditionals as well, placers figure they will just make the cache a Traditional even if it isn't because more people will visit, it is very annoying to those who arrive with co-ords only to find it is a multi, the cache listing is required to do the caclulations.

Thanks for the information on the oldest Puzzle? caches, it looks like Gutter's Cache is the third oldest Puzzle cache in Canada. Now there is a reason to cache in Lethbridge !!