Is It Ok For Cache Owners To Delete Logs?

dorkfish

Log a virtual coin? What does that mean? You can log a coin you've never actually found? For what purpose?

This whole coin thing is getting damnn stupid.

True. When people started passing them around at events so you could get the tracking number, I thought it was a bit odd. I figure you were at an event cache and did 'find" the coin there, so technically you could log it as found. Still, I personally decided not the play the game that way. If I find a coin in a cache, I take it, log it and move it along. If someone shows me a coin at an event, it admire it and give it back.

But the idea of trading tracking numbers and logging coins that you never even saw? That's just plain bizzare.

Log a virtual coin?  What does that mean?  You can log a coin you've never actually found?  For what purpose?

This whole coin thing is getting damnn stupid.

True. When people started passing them around at events so you could get the tracking number, I thought it was a bit odd. I figure you were at an event cache and did 'find" the coin there, so technically you could log it as found. Still, I personally decided not the play the game that way. If I find a coin in a cache, I take it, log it and move it along. If someone shows me a coin at an event, it admire it and give it back.

But the idea of trading tracking numbers and logging coins that you never even saw? That's just plain bizzare.

I actually saw an event posted a while back where the tracking numbers of a couple of coins were listed in one of the logs for anyone to log. That's pretty dang cheesy to say the least.

On topic, i know we are only getting one side of the story here. Still, i cannot think of any valid reason for deleting a person's log entry,,, that is if they followed the cache owner's rules, found the cache, and signed the log!

I had never heard of "virtual" TB's but I did find one and log it into a cache in another country. It shows up on my stat page. Kind of weird. In the case of the one I found, I guess the TB owner just wants the TB to move around even though the original bug is missing? Interesting, but I feel I must not be getting something about virtual TB's. I guess I helped this TB owner in his mission for his virtual TB, but it's not something I would be interested in again.

on edit: I felt so weird about this whole idea of virtual TB's that I went back and deleted my logs for the one referenced above. Hope the owner is not upset, but I just don't like the idea.

Edited by Cheminer Will

Aren't a lot of coins held by the owner? If you log that coin it means you met the person, right? I mean you aren't going to find it in a cache, but if you've held it and seen it, can you log it as such? It seems to me to be a morph of the game.

BTW, I don't really agree with "virtual" TB's or Geocoins. There needs to be an actual object to hold, and it must be in the place it's logged.

OK, but at an event at least you touched the coin. But log them via email? The only thing more lame than that is logging a "find" when you never found the cache or signed the book.

What is this game becoming?

Not these coins. The tracking numbers were submitted into a log on the cache page stating that anyone (whether you attended the Event or not) could log them. Besides that, the coins were never gonna be at the event in the first place!

Passing a coin around at an Event to be logged by various cachers is fine in my book. The thing is, you need to actually hold the coin in your hand or at least lay eyes on it, before claiming it as a find.

OK, but at an event at least you touched the coin.  But log them via email?  The only thing more lame than that is logging a "find" when you never found the cache or signed the book. 

What is this game becoming?

Not these coins. The tracking numbers were submitted into a log on the cache page stating that anyone (whether you attended the Event or not) could log them. Besides that, the coins were never gonna be at the event in the first place!

Passing a coin around at an Event to be logged by various cachers is fine in my book. The thing is, you need to actually hold the coin in your hand or at least lay eyes on it, before claiming it as a find.

I don't have a problem with personal geocoins or TBs, but how many of these things are there? On some cache event pages, I see a hundred or more "log-ables" listed for events that were attended by perhaps 25 people? And each and every attendee logged every "log-able." (A couple of people have told me that at one such event, the host handed out pre-printed sheets containing the numbers of all the "log-ables." No muss; no fuss.)

Except for the personal TBs/geocoins (which should be a separate category), I think that people shouldn't log TBs/geocoins unless they are going to personally move them to a new location. Most TBs/geocoins were intended to travel from cache-to-cache via "natural circulation"; their owners didn't intend for them to languish in a box inside somebody's car trunk until the next cache event. I can understand when those TB/geocoin owners delete all the logs and send the item(s) to the graveyard.

Edited by Skovar
Aren't a lot of coins held by the owner? If you log that coin it means you met the person, right? I mean you aren't going to find it in a cache, but if you've held it and seen it, can you log it as such? It seems to me to be a morph of the game.

BTW, I don't really agree with "virtual" TB's or Geocoins. There needs to be an actual object to hold, and it must be in the place it's logged.

I think so (collectors), but how many of these are activated trackable ones that you would notice are being held?

It means you got a correct number somwhere. Maybe you guessed it, maybe you read it somewhere that someone left and shouldn't have, maybe someone (owner or otherwise) sent you the numbers, maybe you did actually meet someone who showed you their collection/personal coin so you could log it, maybe somehow you like won the lotto and found an actual traveling coin in a cache. Since they all show up as icons and numbers the same way it's hard to know the source.

This is like asking can I log a cache I could see but not sign? or the park was closed but I'm sure I would have found the cache so can I log it anyways? If the owner has a problem with it they can and will delete your logs, but otherwise you're able to come up with whatever strange logic makes sense to you and log things however you like.

Um, dorkfish ... I would forget the dork and move on. If you belong to a local geocaching group, you could ask a leader within that group to contact the individual in order to resolve your issue. Otherwise, move on ... If it gets worse and becomes a bigger issue, call the police.

PS-You could enlist the services of the geocaching mafia. For a small fee I would be happy to submit your case to the godfather. However, the last I heard he was caching for micros on the New Jersey beaches ... <_<

It is up to the cache owner what to do with a log. In the situation described, I don't agree with the deletion of the logs. But, there's 2 sides to every story.

I've deleted 2 logs so far. The first was when I was out with a fellow cacher and they logged a find on a cache we didn't visit. I told them they didn't find it and after a week of it not being removed, I deleted their log. The second log I deleted was by a new cacher who disclosed what the cache container was. It was a new style of hide for my area and I asked them to remove the description of what the container was. After 2 days of no reply to the e-mail to remove that portion of their log, I deleted it. The day after I deleted it, they mailed me back apologizing and re-logged it without giving away the cache.

Unfortunately we can run into unreasonable people. I hope the pettyness that you're encountering comes to an end soon and you can all enjoy the game.

My, how times change!  As I alluded to above, one of the greatest pleasures of the caching experience used to be opening up the logbook and reading the stories it contained.  (Sometimes, the most interesting parts were unwritten:  Look at that handwriting!  Man, that guy was in shock! ... Look how that guy's log is smeared from his sweat, after he climbed up to the cache on a 100 degree day!  ... Look!  That guy didn't have a pen, so he signed the log with a mud-dipped twig ... and that guy signed with the ashes from his cigar! .... Oh, look!  That guy's dog left a muddy paw print in the logbook! ... And sometimes, the best part was written, but must be read firsthand in order to properly be "shared":  Hey, that guy left a marriage proposal to his girfriend in the logbook; she found the cache a few days later, read his log and left her response:  YES!)

I've personally witnessed every one of the preceding situations/events in logbooks...

You have witnessed all that in three caches? ;)B)

I just noticed that Skovar has been banned.

I've heard of geocaching feuds where notes have been deleted... (Play nice guys and gals!) I've had two logs deleted. One for saying what I thought about the cache (something about needles in haystacks, and coords being 170' off) (Okay, so I can be outspoken....) . The other was a misunderstanding on a virtual. Problem rectified, cache relogged.

I've asked a few people to change their logs. Notably for a Webcam cache that they did not have the photo for. Sorry, but being somewhere in the vicinity does not qualify as a find. Deleted one there. Another for someone who posted that they had not signed the log at a cache. He didn't like the neighborhood. Oh, well.

Oh yes, there are spiteful and mean members who come down on others for small and petty things. They go around and monitor others stats because they have nothing better to do, and then they wait. They will pounce throwing everything you ever did or even didn't do against you.

Don't worry these people can be found anywhere, and geocaching has a few of them. The name of the "group" is not one that is appropriate enough to be said here, but we all know what they're called.

Ignore them. Plain and simple, there are more nice and welcoming people in this game that you could be talking to.

If these people become so infatuated with "stalking" your stats and what you do, go ahead and let them. Don't feed into them although, if you just ignore them, and play nice...they'll either give up on doing it because it doesn't bother you, or they'll find another person to "geo-stalk".

Do cache owners have the right to delete log posts on the geocaching website just because they don’t like the person who visited their cache? Here’s a very  brief description of what happened.

My two cents is that it is unethical for a log owner to delete a log post just because he or she doesn't like you. That's petty and immature. It doesn't matter if he has the right to or not, it's still wrong.

Regarding others' comments that you shouldn't be thinking this guy is watching you, that's for you to decide and proceed as you see fit. Personally, I would be more cautious and stay away from this person. I say this from experience as early on in my geocaching experience, I started to receive EXTREMELY harrassing emails from someone via the geocaching website and started to become very worried that this person might be tracking me in person. He seemed to know info about me that wasn't on my profile and said things that really freaked me out. I went to great lengths to report him to the geocaching admin and Hotmail. The harrassment eventually stopped, but it certainly made me a LOT more cautious about how do I things when geocaching and how much I report online.