Event Cache's

Are event caches one time caches or are they typically left behind afer the event?

I went to a site today and was literally standing in the middle of a huge park with nothing around for 80-90 feet in any direction from the coordinates!

If the caches are removed after the event.... why do the caches remain active on the geocache web site.

This was only my second hunt. but really... there wasnt anything around me ...not even a tree or rock.......Just me... in the middle of a huge dang park!

The coords are most likely just the ones to the location of the event--there wasn't a physical cache there, the event was the cache. The event stays on the site for some time so that folks can log their attendence, move travel bugs in and out, etc. After some amount of time, the person who held the event will archive the event so it will go off the page.

Some (Most?) events also have a handful of event caches that folks can hunt while they are at the event. Those will not have their own GC numbers, and you get the cords from someone while you are at the event. They are usually taken away after the event, although I have seen some good ones that work our so well that the owner decides to submit to try to turn into regular caches.

You aren't the only cacher to ever try and find an event after the day it was held, Team Rubicons. I just had an email from a caching family that drove quite a distance to my last event "cache" hoping to retrieve a coin in it. They did realize after wandering around the pavillion that perhaps there wasn't a big box with all those coins, but contacted me hoping I'd give them coords to "maybe another location in the park" where all the coins and bugs were, "or did you have to attend the event to get those coords?"

You aren't the only cacher to ever try and find an event after the day it was held, Team Rubicons. I just had an email from a caching family that drove quite a distance to my last event "cache" hoping to retrieve a coin in it. They did realize after wandering around the pavillion that perhaps there wasn't a big box with all those coins, but contacted me hoping I'd give them coords to "maybe another location in the park" where all the coins and bugs were, "or did you have to attend the event to get those coords?"

No the cache staed that it had one of the White Jeeps and a coin still in it. Nobody ever got back to me about it when I was following up with the status of this cache. I blackballed the cacher for future caches too.

I do have to say... I was suspect going into it!

Cache Site