Help Planing A Journey To Portugal

This isn't really geocaching related other than I will be doing a couple when i'm over there but I have reached a dead end and I thought who better to ask than a bunch of folks who like getting out and about.

I'm trying to plan a trip to the Algarve in portugal next year. This would be pretty easy apart from the fact I don't do flying :(

I have searched and searched for ferry links to anywhere in portugal and I have hit a brick wall. Does anyone out there know if ferries even go to portugal from the Uk or if I could get one to spain then portugal? I would drive down from Santander in Northern Spain, but I really don't think I could handle driving on the wrong side of the road for 18 hours!!!!

Any help greatly appreciated! :(

i think the nearest you'll get is to bilboa on northern spainsh coast. dadgum long time on the boat though.

I have to say I would try to make a holiday of the trip. Why not go via train? Paris then down to Spain then Portugal. Take longer but you'll have better views than the ferry.

Or try and find a cruise liner that'll take you, some cargo boats will take passengers.

You don't say why you "don't do flying" but if it's because you have a phobia about flying, then it might be an idea to try to overcome that fear so that the whole world becomes open to you :o

I recently overcame my phobia of spiders and, whilst it wasn't particularly debilitating, I feel like a weight has been lifted. I can now deal with those big black hairy ones in the bath without the use of a large tupperware and rubber gloves or coming out in a cold sweat with heart palpitations! :D

You don't say why you "don't do flying" but if it's because you have a phobia about flying, then it might be an idea to try to overcome that fear so that the whole world becomes open to you ;)

And having heard my parents' reports of their trips across the Bay of Biscay, I would think you're safer flying... sitting next to Osama.

And probably a lot cheaper off too, thanks to Mr. B.M.I. EasyRyanair & co.