Icon Collecting

flask

I'd be rather disappointed if I planned cache outing around finding a coin and it turned out to be a photocopy.

On the other hand, I have photocopies of the MiGO Winter and Fall coins and would trade for Spring and Summer photocopies...

I have my photocopy coins listed with the term "Simulated" in the title and an explanation on their page that they aren't the actual coin but just a pic with the tracking number. Hopefully if potential cachers see the description it won't be too big a disappointment that there's not an actual coin for them to take home with them for their collection. At any rate I don't think it's as big a disappointment as looking through a couple of thousand caches within a 100 mile radius with no coins in any of them.

Geocoins are like $2 bills or $1 coins. People just won't move them once they get them. They seem to be much more willing to move the photocopies.

I'm only doing this with GC trackable coins. It really would be lame to do this with personal coins or non-trackable coins. I think it would be good too if people who are hoarding the Jeep travel bugs would at least put something representative of them with the tracking number back out in caches so people would have SOMETHING of interest to look for. Why should events be the only way to get credit for a Jeep travel bug or a geocoin?

I'm only doing this with GC trackable coins. It really would be lame to do this with personal coins or non-trackable coins. I think it would be good too if people who are hoarding the Jeep travel bugs would at least put something representative of them with the tracking number back out in caches so people would have SOMETHING of interest to look for. Why should events be the only way to get credit for a Jeep travel bug or a geocoin?

I think you can do whatever you want with your own TBs and coins, but changing someone else's TB sounds lame. Maybe next time I find a USA geocoin I should keep it and attach a quarter? ;)

I think you can do whatever you want with your own TBs and coins, but changing someone else's TB sounds lame. Maybe next time I find a USA geocoin I should keep it and attach a quarter? ;)

Huh??

I'm only talking about making copies of GC trackable coins that I actually own, not anybody else's. I'm not suggesting altering anybody else's travel bugs or coins. I'm just pointing out that people who take trackable items out of circulation contrary to the owner's wishes spoil the game for everyone else and I was trying to find a way to prevent it from happening.

Edited by Cache-bert
I'll get new icons for my stats the hard way, thanks - but can anyone tell me where the custom icons come from and how I can make a TB with a custom icon?  Thanks --- Brad.

You have to pay gc.com money and you have to be an organization.

...or a company / person with enough money to buy 1000 numbers at a shot. I also thought they had to be organizations but the compass rose has its own icon (I believe that is Aaron Charles). CC has its own icon so it must go beyond organizations...

Edited by Rupert2

I have listed some of my coins as FTF coins...When I place a cache. I put a laminated paper in the cache with a picture of both sides of the coin and the tracking numbers, Along with directions to take it as a FTF prize..

If I am FTF on some else's cache then I e-mail them and give them their choice or FTFcoins (Maryland Michigan,New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee and more to come)

I use it as a way of thanking other cachers for placing the cache and for showing an interest in my caches....

I've only gotten one minor complaint so far ...Most cachers seem to like the idea and as more local cachers are aware of my FTFcoins...I suspect more caches will be popping up closer to home!!!!! ;)

Works for everyone

This is the problem with coins. Because they are desirable, people want to collect them, but in collecting them, they become selfish. "I found a coin, it's mine" is the wrong way to use coins. If If they are trackable, like white or yellow jeeps and travel bugs, they should be tracked, not hoarded. Who gave the "finder" the right to take one of these out of circulation? Unless the trackable coin is meant to be a finder's gift and states such, it should be released for someone else to share in the thrill of finding it, instead of another cache filled with lame McDonald's swag.

I have held a M10 coin in my hand at an event. I also logged a facsimile coin (Chez Moi) whose owner was frustrated because the original coin was stolen. I'm not all at ease about the facsimile coin icon in my profile. I purchased five MD coins and released the first one last week with explicit traveling instructions. The person who keeps it is, in effect, a thief. Whether it goes in a collection, or on ebay, the finder is still a thief.

All of my coins will be marked to travel to allow geocachers all over to truly possess a geocoin for a while before passing it on. Also, all coins, travel bugs and jeeps I find will be moved on.

Sharing is a far greater virtue than greed.

This is the problem with coins. Because they are desirable, people want to collect them, but in collecting them, they become selfish. "I found a coin, it's mine" is the wrong way to use coins. If If they are trackable, like white or yellow jeeps and travel bugs, they should be tracked, not hoarded. Who gave the "finder" the right to take one of these out of circulation? Unless the trackable coin is meant to be a finder's gift and states such, it should be released for someone else to share in the thrill of finding it, instead of another cache filled with lame McDonald's swag.

I have held a M10 coin in my hand at an event. I also logged a facsimile coin (Chez Moi) whose owner was frustrated because the original coin was stolen. I'm not all at ease about the facsimile coin icon in my profile. I purchased five MD coins and released the first one last week with explicit traveling instructions. The person who keeps it is, in effect, a thief. Whether it goes in a collection, or on ebay, the finder is still a thief.

All of my coins will be marked to travel to allow geocachers all over to truly possess a geocoin for a while before passing it on. Also, all coins, travel bugs and jeeps I find will be moved on.

Please realize that most of the coins that are collected are purchased not taken from a cache. That is not to say that some people still are not taking the coins from a cache and keeping them. However this was being done prior to the Coin Craze, the only differance is now there is more than just a USA Geocoin at stake.

I agree with the above statement, however since I have purchased all mine the only way that I can share is by allowing others to log my activated coins for there icons ( another hot topic in another thread ), after all I am sharing <_<

however since I have purchased all mine the only way that I can share is by allowing others to log my activated coins for there icons ( another hot topic in another thread ), after all I am sharing 

Would you feel the same about someone logging your cache without actually visiting it?

Please realize that most of the coins that are collected are purchased not taken from a cache. That is not to say that some people still are not taking the coins from a cache and keeping them. However this was being done prior to the Coin Craze, the only differance is now there is more than just a USA Geocoin at stake.

Yes probably most coins are purchased, but I'd hazard to say that most caches with coin icons on the cache page (like jeeps) don't hold the coins inside them. Someone is putting them in their collections. Whether it was done before or after the "Coin Craze" doesn't make it any more or less right. If the coin was intended to travel, it should travel, not a facsimile of it. Numbers traded without possession of the coin is the same.

however since I have purchased all mine the only way that I can share is by allowing others to log my activated coins for there icons ( another hot topic in another thread ), after all I am sharing 

Would you feel the same about someone logging your cache without actually visiting it?

You missed the whole point about the icon side of Geocoins <_< . There is not a new icon added on a daily basis for a new style of Geocache container. nor do you have to search for my coins and sign a log :o . So the answer to your question is no, but there is no doubt in my mind that caches get logged without the person actually finding it :P .

As I see it the numbers and icons on your stats page are there to record how many of each the item you've found, whether the icon is for regular caches, multis, WJTBs, geocoins or whatever.

I personally think the idea of "counting coup" on coins and travel bugs at events is silly, but at least the person actually saw the item and likely touched it. I guess technically you can say you "found it" at the event,so even though I wouldn't do it, I can see why someone would think its fine to do.

But would someone please explain to me why anyone would want an icon for something they've never even seen? What does that prove? That you can read an e-mail? Its no different from logging caches you haven't found.

Hey there is a Project A.P.E. cache about 30 miles from where I'm working. I'd like to have that A.P.E. icon. Why should I even bother lookiing for it? I know about where it is and I know some people who have actually found it. So why don't I just log it as found so I can get the icon? Its no different than logging geocoins and TBs I've never found.

Please file this practice along with NASCAR, pro wrestlng and opera as things that I just don't get.

I don't police what others do. I just set my own personal rules. For me, I don't like to log a coin or travel bug that I didn't actually move. On a few ocassions I have logged a friend's personal bug or coin when I met them at an event and they personally asked me to log it and I already had the icon. I don't have a ton of coin icons because I have not moved a bunch of coins. With the exception of a mount10bike coin that was personally given to me to keep, I have not logged any of my coins kept for collection. I would rather get the icons by moving one. If I buy/find/trade for one and put it in a cache, then I will activate it and log it first. That way I easily keep track of only the coins that I moved.

I don't really care what others do, although I do get uncomfortable at times when people at events actually urge that I log a bunch of coin or travel bug numbers. I don't love having others push that on me. I usually end up writing the numbers down to be polite with no intention to log them. That is easier than explaining why I am not going to log the numbers.

Edited by carleenp
I found this one recently, already converted to a Traveler's Tag Wooden Nickel. If you "feel cheap or sleazy" doing virtual icon collecting, you can redeem yourself by helping out a historic USA Geocoin in need.  :D

Helping what?? conjure up a missing coin?? ;)

(when was that nickel activated?)

(edited for clearity)

Edited by welch

Oh grow up you guys.

In this day and age of email enundation don't you know how to make filters and folders. I have all logs of my caches and TB's go into a folder called GeoFound, and I never need to look at those messages, I can just look at the cache of TB pages themselves. All mail sent to other cachers goes into a folder called GeoSent, this is just for my reference. All mail from other cachers goes into GeoContacting, and I read these few messages regularily. I have to add to my filters to get Waymarking to also go to these folders but I think Waymarking is going to go the way of the DoDo bird.

I hope to be able to log EVERY coin icon in existance, and at a recent event a person handed out a list of his 50 different coin types with their serial numbers to at least 200 people. I guess he is smart like me and doesn't worry about the emails. If he wants to see the logs he looks at the coin pages maybe a few weeks after the event when everyone is done logging them. I looked at each and every one of those coins in his 20 pound notebook before I went away, and in the week it took me to log them all I said something about each and every one of them. And of course I'm not content with having just one of each coin, if I see another coin of a type that I already have I will still log it. My only problems are knowing which coins I have seen already (a small crib sheet suffices) and not logging a TB or coin that I had already handled.

If you want to stop this practice then why don't you also only allow traditional caches, get rid of those pesky Multis and Mysteries and Earth and Event and Webcam and Letterbox and Project APE? and especially Virtuals just like you got rid of Reverse locationless.

Geez, for something that is supposed to be fun, seems a lot of people get worked up over how others derive pleasure from this "game".

I've got a few coins, "bought and paid or got in trade". I've found ONE coin in a cache for moving along, and seen listings for two others. needless to say, not many icons on my page.

Personally, I look at the icons as being pretty neat artwork. Our local group has "traded" icons for missions completed. My own trade was a caching-related, homemade pic had to be uploaded. It has led to some very interesting drawings so far, AND some good natured ribbing among members. I don't feel at all guilty about giving or getting the icon.

I won't take a randomly dropped number for the icon though. Whats the difference ? Beats the heck outta me- I just dont want to. Don't care how someone else gets theirs though. It doesn't deprive me of anything at all.

Play how you want to. Who gives a crap what the next guy is doing ?

We had a momentary lapse of reason and logged a bunch of vitrtual coins that we had not ever seen, just to get the icons. We then legitimatley found a coin and it was a lot better to earn the icon, so we deleted all of our virtual coin logs. Our criteria now is that we have to actually see and hold the coin (this also allows us to log ones we see at an event (that don't get released). We've never come accross a photocopy, but we would not log it...want to see the real thing.

Just wait for the day when they start selling the icons in the gc store.

You'll just log on to the site, transmit your $3 payment via paypal, and

your new coin icon (so many to choose from!) suddenly appears on your

stats list. Quick and easy, no petrol required, and potentially quite

profitable for gc since these icons seem so desired by some :huh:

:huh: