I Found A New Bug

I placed a lot of waymarks overnight. I noticed that at no time was I getting notified that I was within a mile of another waymark when I tried to post my new waymark. I know I was within a mile of at least a dozen waymarks, since I placed them to begin with. This will be a problem for people placing new waymarks, especially once the site opens to everyone.

(Jokingly wonders if finding bugs could be a new waymark category.)

I placed a lot of waymarks overnight. I noticed that at no time was I getting notified that I was within a mile of another waymark when I tried to post my new waymark. I know I was within a mile of at least a dozen waymarks, since I placed them to begin with.

I doubt if anyone has more experience creating waymarks than you, so I hesitate to even suggest this, but ....

In the past, when I created a waymark that was within a mile of another waymark

in the same category, I would get a proximity warning. But not if the waymarks were in different categories.

I see that some of the waymarks you created yesterday are in the same category (i.e. Ginormous Everyday Objects), but not all of them.

Could this be related to what you are experiencing?

I also noticed this when I mass-waymarked a bunch of Pennsylvania Historic Markers in downtown Pittsburgh. I created the pages, but didn't approve them (I am the category manager) until I went back later and uploaded all the photos. Because they were all unapproved, I did NOT receive proximity warnings. A few days later, after the initial batch of waymarks were approved, I created some more pages for a few other downtown makers where I wanted to do some research first. Those two waymarks DID flag the other downtown historic markers.

So, I believe the answer is this: the proximity alert is only functional with respect to APPROVED waymarks in the same category.

As a wishlist item, I wish that the category manager had a link on the review/approve waymark page, to bring up a list of nearby waymarks in the same category.

The proximity warning is actually at .1 mile IIRC, and yes, it only goes off if there are waymarks close by in the same category.

As a wishlist item, I wish that the category manager had a link on the review/approve waymark page, to bring up a list of nearby waymarks in the same category.

I like this idea, Lep. I'll run it by Sean early next week.

Many of the waymarks were in the same category. I found a lot of guitar statues in a small area. Not one of those I placed triggered the proximity warning.

And I found a park that had five Pennsylvania Historic Markers, all lined up 20 feet apart from one another. Waymarking heaven. The equivalent of a Nashville Shopping Center, in geocaching terms. :(

So, I believe the answer is this: the proximity alert is only functional with respect to APPROVED waymarks in the same category.

I think this is correct. Back when I waymarked a couple of McDonalds, on opposite sides of the same road, no proximity warning. When I accidentally resubmitted one that had already been approved (bootron was approving them while I was submitting them :blink:) I got the proximity warning.