.10 Mile Rule

olbluesguy

The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) of another cache may not be listed on the site.

Does this apply only to the actual location of each cache.or does it apply to each leg of a multi.

A cache popped up only 365 feet from my home coordinates,and blew me away.

I live near a small park...[across my back fence]...and I have a multi placed there.

I went out this evening to check things out, and the new cache is 200 feet from the first stage of my multi.

Now I'm not complaining at all, I just want to know for my own future referance.

Is It cache to cache distance , or cache to Leg waypoint distance?

It applies between two caches or two cache parts (when the two parts are not parts of the same multi).

example:

Two traditionals should be at least 528ft apart

A traditional and any part of multi should be at least 528ft apart

any part of a multi and any part of a different multi should be at least 528ft apart

any part of a multi can be within 528ft of other parts of that multi (no nothing else)

It might be that there the other cache owner was able to pursade the reviewer it was ok that they were this close for some reason.

Or maybe the reviewer didn't know the other part(s) of the multi were there for whatever reason (like it was an old multi that didn't have the stages recorded in a reviewer note).

or maybe the reviewer is just overworked and didn't notice how close the other cache is.

hope this helps

Cache Saturation

The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) of another cache may not be listed on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, but the ultimate goal is to reduce the number of caches hidden in a particular area and to reduce confusion that might otherwise result when one cache is found while looking for another.

On the same note, don't go cache crazy and hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. If you want to create a series of caches, the reviewer may require you to create a multi-cache, if the waypoints are close together.

I don't think there will be a problem because there are not two cache containers in the same vicinity.

I went out this evening to check things out, and the new cache is 200 feet from the first stage of my multi.

Now I'm not complaining at all, I just want to know for my own future referance.

The .1 mile rule is in effect for stages of multis also. Its possible that your approver just missed this one. They do make mistakes now and then.

Remember, the 0.1 mile rule is not hard & fast.

I have a cache <0.1 mile from another cache, as the crow flies, but it is >>0.1 by the trails (or one helluva bushwack). There is little chance that either cache will be found accidentally by a searcher of one of the caches.

Also, with regard to distances between stages of a multi, I got approval of a multi final that was much closer than 0.1 miles from *2* other multi-stages. The other two stages were "information gathering" stages with no physical container. There is little (no?) chance that hunters for these other caches will find my well camo'ed micro while out looking at signs.

"??? - I looked at all 3 of your multis, and none of them have another cache that close to the posted coordinates (i.e, the 1st stage). "

Prime, I could stand at part one of THE BOG and throw a baseball to someone standing at the new cache. And that's from an old Guy who throws nothing but B.S.these days.

just click "find nearest caches'

The page will say.1 mile,but standing at part one my Gpsr says 200 feet.

Like I said before,I don't mind the new cache.I just wanted to be clear on the distance from a multi stage to a new cache.

"??? - I looked at all 3 of your multis, and none of them have another cache that close to the posted coordinates (i.e, the 1st stage). "

Prime, I could stand at part one of THE BOG and throw a baseball to someone standing at the new cache. And that's from an old Guy who throws nothing but B.S.these days.

just click "find nearest caches'

The page will say.1 mile,but standing at part one my Gpsr says 200 feet.

Like I said before,I don't mind the new cache.I just wanted to be clear on the distance from a multi stage to a new cache.

So... even though you've listed N 41° 16.138 W 075° 50.129 as the first stage of your multi, it's somehow not? And you're wondering why the other cache got approved?

Actually it's even closer to the second part of the multi than it is to the first .

Exactly the distance from the left field fence to first base on a LL field.

I may have jumped the gun a little on my first post because I found later I enterd the last few digits wrong on the Westerly, and it made it closer to my start point than it realy was. I had not found it at that time. I was just going by the numbers

Which I messed up.

Tossed sallad your numbers look about right.

My reasons for posting the Question were not to Question the approver or The cache placer.I simply wanted to know if the .10 rule applied to stages of a multi as well as the final location of a cache.

OBG

What I find stange is that I am setting up a cache that can only be done at night. Before I submitted my cache some one got a regular cache approved were is was going have my Night cache start from. I had to relocate my starting point even though there would not be anything to find there that hadanything to do woth my cache. It worked out because I found a safer place for people to park they sill just have to do I little more walking. The cache itself is about 1/2 mile from the starting point. My reviewerso far has not problem with my new cache so it should be good to go in a few days. I just have to get over a small injury and stay off my feet for a few days ;) before I finish placing the fire tacks for the cache.

I just find it stange that you cannot recomend a starting point less than .10 miles from another cache, there are lots of regular cache that someone may have to park close to in order to find another cache. With a night cache the person has to look for a fire tack refector that may be 200 or 300 feet away, and these are reflectors that cannot be seen durring daylight hours.

Like a lot of requirements that gc.com enforces, the 0.1 mile rule is a "guideline". But good luck trying to get a reviewer to work around that. It does apply to any part of one cache to any part of another cache, including reference points that have no cache!

We have one cache in this area that was a two part multi. I see that the first part was removed when that spot was devloped so the cache was changed to a puzzle cache. But the obsolete coordinates are still listed, so no one can put a cache within 0.1 miles of a non-cache in this case.

I remember a thread where a hider was not able to provide a coordinate for a trail head because it was too close to an existing cache. She explained very clearly that this was just a starting point for the walk, there was nothing there to look for. But the reviewer would not give on the 528 rule. So clearly this is not just a "guideline", unless you can figure out how to talk them out of it, it is a RULE! Just like the commercial cache guildline, they make exceptions, but good luck figuring out what they base execptions on.

One way around the starting point issue could be to verbally describe how to reach a coordinate that *is* 528 feet from the other cache. I know this is a silly thing to have to do, but it should work. Or perhaps if you include the starting point in the description of the cache rather than the listed coordinates it won't count. Then it is like the parking coordinates. I don't think parking coordinates are checked in the 528 rule are they?

tossedsalad, could you please provide a link to the thread you're referring to. If it was the one debating about the starting point of a reflector trail for a night cache, then the trailhead coordinates are indeed relevant to the cache. With puzzle caches, reviewers do not test against any "bogus" coordinates, like something in the middle of a lake or with lots of zeros. But if the posted coordinates are for a location that's relevant to finding the cache, then the proximity test is applied to those coordinates.