Non-cache Items Found Along The Way?

_BBQ_

I've recently found some interesting things while caching and they gave me the idea for this post. My recent unique finds include some shed deer antlers, a Hemingray glass telephone resistor, and this guy that I found in the spot where I thought I'd find the cache I was looking for.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...9a&LID=10747283

Anyone else have any unique non-cache finds?

I have found two twenty dollar bills, a garbage bag full of womens wigs, an unopened case of beer, a large folding knife, a wallet (my own..dropped it on the way in), a Forever Flashlight, a man and a woman getting their freak on, a huge box of Matchbox/Hotwheels cars, my father (he was out walking in the area not far from home), two baby kittens and a mother cat, they all live with me now. Thats about it so far.

While out with my son we found a deer skull. My son wanted it so we took it to the ranger station. He told us it was probably poacked and someone just cut off the antlers and left the rest of the deer for the animals. On the way to another I found several pairs of undergarments, mens and ladies, and beer cans can't imagine what was going on there.

On October 7th I found a woman's purse. It had been gone through and the money and driver's license taken. It had her kid's pictures, car keys, HMO cards, and 3 social security cards - her's and one for each of her kids. I turned it in to the Sherriff and got a call later that evening telling me he had found the owner and she was extremely happy to get her stuff back.

I also found a totally empty man's wallet, a nudie book, a bunch of spent shotgun shells and the headless, skinless carcass of a dog or maybe a small deer under the bridge near the same cache.

One of my favorite parts of caching is all the animals we find. My daughter loves it. I've been pretty surprised at the number of live turtles we find crawling around the woods. She thinks their great.

Seen plenty of dead things too, but I don't think I've seen any poached animals yet.

There was one cache that I was on that wandered by a billboard along side I-95. I've never seen so much trash in the open as on this site. There must have been 500 empty cans of budweiser. Non of the junk was unique by itself, but definitely the quantity was something to see. It would have taken a small army of cachers doing a CITO to clean up.

I do like the remote control airplane found by Moose Mob. That's pretty sweet!

I have found two twenty dollar bills, a garbage bag full of womens wigs, an unopened case of beer, a large folding knife, a wallet (my own..dropped it on the way in), a Forever Flashlight, a man and a woman getting their freak on, a huge box of Matchbox/Hotwheels cars, my father (he was out walking in the area not far from home), two baby kittens and a mother cat, they all live with me now. Thats about it so far.

Do the man and woman live with you now too?

This guy was pretty cool. Actually there were three of them within a few feet of each other:

8d8b97a8-2226-4036-ab8b-3d78be6c475e.jpg

I remember finding this abandoned, two seater outhouse near a cache. What was the point of the two seats? I mean do you sit there and have a conversation? "So Joe, how about ths pfffffffft weather?" "Been pretty brrrrrrrrap rainy lately Zeke". "Hey can I have the sports page when you're done?"

817b841a-afd3-43e5-bca2-e1e0f7db7702.jpg

And of course, being New Jersey, now can you not help but find one of these from time to time. It was deep in the woods at least a mile from any home.

4e05d2db-825d-4143-a616-695b25911702.jpg

Then there is this old guy:

da071f69-0e9b-49bc-80e8-43e7724cffc8.jpg

Then there were these houses near Lake Erie. No the area isn't flooded. The houses are actually out there on the river. People take boats to get to them.

065240c3-feb7-453d-8225-aff0a2a1d631.jpg

Edited by briansnat

We found a shrine to someone near the Paulinskill Viaduct cache in Blairstown, NJ.

Team Crab's photo in the log depicts a weird mural painted on the viaduct that says "He sleeps with the fishes". The shrine itself was a photo of the deceased man, who looked to us to be about 35, and several little thingies nailed to a tree and lovingly placed underneath. Sort of like those makeshift shrines you see along the highway for people who were presumably killed in car accidents. He apparently was big on fishing.

The man, whose name escapes me at the moment, apparently committed suicide by jumping off the viaduct. It made an already creepy site far creepier, especially in the rapidly fading daylight.

57eb8e37-fff0-4ca2-8872-76d2ce14b6e8.jpg

Do the man and woman live with you now too?

No, I did not stay around and make friends. This is the log entry:

"I went after this one at night. I parked at the base of the trail and hiked up to the cache. After finding the cache I explored the whole area. I was not alone though. I walked right into a man and woman...uh...doing the "horizontal mambo" if you know what I mean. I apologized and went quickly on my way. Thanks for a cache I will not soon forget. Haha!"

Here is an iron door near one of my caches. An iron door in the side of the mountian in the middle of the woods, but it doesn't go anywhere. Just a small room behind it. It's bit of a local tourist attraction and has been featured in local newspapers and magazines. The odd look on my wife's face is because she heard a voice inside the instant I snapped the photo. A fraction of a second later she was running away.

6ed0a318-0767-4ed1-a305-da890b493685.jpg

Then there is this. I'm sure some of you read books by Albert Payson Terhune when younger. "Lad, a Dog" was a famous one. I discovered Lad's grave on the way to a cache. Yep it is the real Lad.

621965_300.jpg

Edited by briansnat

The oddest -- and scariest -- thing we have found so far was a guy sound asleep in a sleeping bag right where the cache should have been, in Calgary, Alb. That cache, which appeared to have been overtaken as an ecampment by some homeless people, was archived soo thereafter.

The oddest -- and scariest -- thing we have found so far was a guy sound asleep in a sleeping bag right where the cache should have been, in Calgary, Alb. That cache, which appeared to have been overtaken as an ecampment by some homeless people, was archived soo thereafter.

You didn't wake him up did you. :):D;)

I haven't found anything interesting other than the cache. I guess I don't get out enough. But according to the things I'm hearing, I won't get in any hurry to go look for anything.

Edited by Airmapper
I remember finding this abandoned, two seater outhouse near a cache. What was the point of the two seats? I mean do you sit there and have a conversation? "So Joe, how about ths pfffffffft weather?" "Been pretty brrrrrrrrap rainy lately Zeke". "Hey can I have the sports page when you're done?"

817b841a-afd3-43e5-bca2-e1e0f7db7702.jpg

Never seen a full pit then have you...

I have not found anything interesting. In my area, that is good. At least 2 local cachers have found a suicide victim and a murder victim. That kind of excitement I can do without. (The cacher who found the murder victim also had his kids along for that find.)

I take that back. At one cache, we saw a triple arch rainbow, full arches across the sky with colors so bright it hurt my eyes. One of the most beautiful things I have seen.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

they *ALL* live with you now? :(:(:D

dadgum, I should read a whole thread first before answering... this already has been asked *sigh*

Edited by V-I-cacher
4731ba63-d0cf-428a-8372-efe5f41b69ee.jpg

We might be neighbors. I see those guys all the time. I've eaten me share of those webs while staring at all the sweet features of my Garmin 60CS and walking at the same time. Getting one of those guys crawling on you mug can provide you with an impressive burst of energy even after a long hike. It can also make a grown man dance like my grandmother seeing a mouse. :(

We might be neighbors. I see those guys all the time. I've eaten me share of those webs while staring at all the sweet features of my Garmin 60CS and walking at the same time. Getting one of those guys crawling on you mug can provide you with an impressive burst of energy even after a long hike. It can also make a grown man dance like my grandmother seeing a mouse. :(

That picture actually belonged to grumpy in Virgina. Our critters typically have fangs.

08bcfbde-830c-4ca4-92c7-38c24453a845.jpg

Edited by Moose Mob

They all live with you...thats strange :(

I just started geocaching, but I've been shed hunting (looking for cast deer antlers) for years, my site is actually devoted to shed hunting. This topic comes up quite often actually in the hunting community in shed hunting forums and I've actually devoted a section of my site to it some of the pics were taken by me, a lot were not though:

http://www.shedantlers.net/other_finds.htm

Just a quick bit of warning, most of these pages are pics of dead deer that died of natural causes, some are in advanced states of decay so if you have a weak stomach you might wanna avoid it.

(note the pic of the buck found dead with a piece of electrical wire caught in it's antlers, not something you see everyday!)

So far have not found anything interesting while caching, just a lot of junk.

I just started geocaching, but I've been shed hunting (looking for cast deer antlers) for years, my site is actually devoted to shed hunting. This topic comes up quite often actually in the hunting community in shed hunting forums and I've actually devoted a section of my site to it some of the pics were taken by me, a lot were not though:

Wow, so if I found something like that in a state that it was legal to keep them, how do you clean it, so that I could display it? Bleach bath?

Wow, so if I found something like that in a state that it was legal to keep them, how do you clean it, so that I could display it? Bleach bath?

I bleached skull last year. Basically what I did was put the whole skull in a pot of water and burned a fire under, the water wasn't quite boiling, but it was pretty close. It took several times to get a lot of hide off of it. Then I did a lot of scraping, and finally I soaked it in the same pot with lots of liquid soap and a whole bunch of baking soda. Do a google search on European Mounts and you should get a lot of pages with more info on preserving the skulls of game animals. Overall, you might not wanna try this yourself unless you have a nice open area to boil it since it really stinks when you do it, and scraping extra flesh off, and trying to get all the crap out of every little crevice in the skull is extremely difficult. It is quite a time-consuming, and disgusting process if the skull is in the shape the one I did is. If I was to do it all over again I would have used a propane stove and a water/liquid soap/baking soda mix.

Here's the skull I'm talking about as I found it:

http://www.shedantlers.net/images/P3230036.jpg

After a LOT of work however it makes a very nice piece on my dresser:

http://www.shedantlers.net/images/P2100144.JPG

Occassionally when you find something like this you might get lucky and it's already been bleached out by the sun, but usually one like that is heavily damaged and can be very brittle.

That reminds me, make sure it's legal to pick up before you do take them. In some states you have to get a salvage tag from the DNR in order to keep them.

Edited by Tsmola

My daughter and her boyfriend saw a tiger! Luckily it was in a cage. They were looking for a micro in a city park. They were off the main path when this animal rescue truck pulled up. He was looking for an injured eagle that someone had reported. Eventdently he takes large animals for rides in when he can, because the facility is not very large. (and to think the day before I was excited about seeing a rabbit in a city park!)