Garmin 60cs + City Select V7

av8ndv8

You guys pushed me over the edge to buy a 60CS and I've been pretty happy with it but now I'm really impressed!

Finally got my travel package with car mounts and City Select and used it for the first time today. WOW, what a fantastic combination. We found five diverse caches in an hour and a half and not once did I have to chastize my reluctant, map-reading/directional/instruction challenged navigator. :bad:

It was fantastic to just set a GoTo to the next cache, tell it to use streets and follow the prompts and li'l arrows. It beeped, I said "Yes Dear" and we were on our way! And once we got as close as possible to the cache I'd set the GoTo to off-road and just follow the arrow. I almost hate to log those caches it was so easy. But I will.....

I don't need this locally, I've lived here 20 years but it was a real pleasure to sit back and enjoy the trip without reading street signs. This is a must-have!

And kudos to Garmin - I ordered the update DVD to v7 just after I ordered the package from Amazon. It was here and waiting when the Amazon package arrived. Registering and updating was painless.

For fun I set a trip to a little piece of land my brother owns in the middle of nowhere just north of Study Butte, TX at Terlingua Ranch. It guides me within a quarter mile of their piece of nowhere. Very impressive!

One question, can I delete the install of City Select v6 now that I've got v7 installed?

B

Yes, But you will probably have to reinstall V7 to get everything to work right.

Putting the cart before the course - you can uninstall V6 BUT if/when you re-install V7 since it is an UPDATE version you will have to re-install V6.

Not too clear :bad: - removing V6 will cause no problems. If you ever need to reinstall a V7 update - V6 will have to be installed - SO don't lose your V6.

Tom

Gainesville, Mo.

I kept V6 installed after upgrading to 7 because 7 stripped away a lot of minor street detail in my area in order to add more POI data.

For example the roads in the huge Cemeteries near me are missing in 7 as well as the roads in most of the state forests.

THe trend seems to be to add more POI information and sacrifice map detail as needed. Which is understandable I suppose.

Anyway I like the option of comparing the different maps sets in Mapsource.

Gotcha, thanks guys.

B

I'll drink to that. I had to do the same thing one generation back after a computer crash (why do they do that anyhow?). Well, my original version was scratched (possibly my fault for faulty storage technique) and I called Garmin and they looked up the fact that I have version 5 and UPDATE version 6. They sent me a fresh version 6. GREAT Company that Garmin.

I kept V6 installed after upgrading to 7 because 7 stripped away a lot of minor street detail in my area in order to add more POI data.

THe trend seems to be to add more POI information and sacrifice map detail as needed. Which is understandable I suppose.

Hmm, guess I'll have to do a little comparing in my area too, thanks for the insight. Sadly, I'm not surprised.

Now why the heck leave out streets to add POIs? I don't think they get paid for including them, do they? There are some real hole-in-the-wall places listed here that wouldn't pay $5 to be included or even comprehend what it is.

And it's good to know Garmin still stands behind their product. They had battery contact issues years ago on the II+ and they fixed out of warranty units without a quibble. Very nice.

B