Search By Variable Needed

With Canadian Benchmarks, I have setup a variable to track the type of Benchmark (the agency responsible for it). The problem is that there is no way that I can see to search for a benchmark by its variable type. So if you want to see all the Canadian Base Network types you cannot search for them distinctly. All you can get is ALL benchmarks and then you have to open each one and scroll to the bottom to see its variable. Originally, I hoped to set up sub-categories of Canadian Benchmarks so that each type had its own category. But then I thought by using the variables I could classify each one by its variable type and then be able to look them up by the variable but I cannot. What to do?

You've hit on the greater purpose of variables, but that is detailed functionality that won't be available until more basic features are implemented. It's important to start using the variables now, though, since any categories that use them will be able to take advantage of future functionality.

I am hoping for this kind of thing for U.S. benchmarks as well. Currently, I'd favor just 3 types; from-NGS, USGS-not-in-NGS, and not-from-NGS-and-not-USGS. We currently only have the one type; from-NGS.

With benchmarks, there are many possible dimensions of "type" that could be used, but your use seems to be based on source-of-database, which is what from-NGS versus not-from-NGS is.

I would hesitate to subcategorize the not-from-NGS ones by monumenting agency beyond USGS (the most numerous by far) because we currently have a list of 337 types, and that is just for the disk type of monument! However, the distinction: from-NGS versus not-from-NGS is seems very important right now.

On the other hand, I'm not aware of why anyone (except maybe the NGS or the USGS themselves) would want to filter such types. If I'm going to be in an area, I'd just as soon know of ANY type of benchmark that would be nearby.

One problem with benchmarks and Waymarking is that there are perfectly valid benchmarks inches or less from one another. Hopefully the proximity ban (?) will not be applied to benchmarks.

I don't know where it is right now, but a while back someone had posted two benchmark disks that were mounted so closely that the disks overlapped. As I recall, one was from-NGS and the other was not, but they were both valid geodetic disks.