Welcome

We have lots of threads congratulating cachers on their mile stones. So I thought how about showing newbies that this is a freindly sport and encourage them in the fine art that is caching.

So here goes Welcome to

Da Rubber Chicken :P

MaZaRoO :P

Nazinator :o

centaur bowman :P

and well lets face it she giving it a good go and we all make mistakes when placing caches from time to time

Welcome Lesley & Kipper :P:P

That is a very good idea - and that is from one who has been critical of the number of congratulation threads.

I try to send an email to each newcomer who logs his first find on one of my caches and also suggest to him/her that they may find this forum useful.

So I add my welcome to "ncl" if he follows my suggestion and reads this. :bad:

John Stead wrote:

I try to send an email to each newcomer who logs his first find on one of my caches and also suggest to him/her that they may find this forum useful.

Yes, I do that too, and include links to this forum, GAGB and GCUK.

Edit: Oops, nearly forgot - welcome to all the above! :bad:

Edited by Bill D (wwh)

Thanks for your kind words of welcome!

Thought you might like to know how we found out about Geocaching...

Some friends were visiting us at New Year from the US and we were planning a walk to test a new kite I was given for Christmas. Well, our friend said: "Well we could just go for a walk or we could..." and produced an Etrex from their suitcase.

Sure enough print out of notes in hand we set off - starting point: Beverley Minster.

Unfortunately, a brisk January wind whisked the print out and all the information it contained out of his hand and into an inaccesible area guarded by high iron fencing! Thus ended our first trip.

We didn't forget about Geocashing but my wife was reminded about it by a recent article in The Independent (?). With my birthday just round the corner, a gps gizmo seemd like the perfect thing!

The whole treasure hunt thing is great but I am really looking forward to getting the kids (3 boys) out in the fresh air as often as possible!

Already planning an itinerary for this weekend...

:D Welcome to all who have joined, i always email new cachers when they visit my caches..i would also like to welcome the Notnigaps...they are flying along and seem to be a force that might make NO;1 in the COTM in the future..... :o...i must find more to stop this from happening B)

And welcome to the following cachers who all found their first cache in the last 7 days!

** Frenchman **
aamtodd
ajam
alderseyj
alexball
alixir
Andyglass
Andy_Darlz
arnier
Aumhur
B0ulder
Badge436
Ballyharry
Bar Sinister
Bassrock
bcnorwich
Beth1007
BikerKats
Boba&Jango Fett
bobbowden
bobonacus
bohpilot
Burn Farm Bandits
cgbpete
Chalice
charliebravo
Chubbin' Tippers
clever cats
cvhq
cynthiatown
davetheflute
derwent
Dicjos
diggerman
Dreamer1969
DrFootleg
Dr_newtron
Felix11
Finnbar
gadjusek
geojudge
geokid75
glitzymitzy
gnj
goyalily
GPS Moose
Greenadiers
Groovy Gilmours
grouch and bossy
guypracy
Hedgehunters
hissingcyd
hpde
Inka
IvarT
jibbercluck
jonesrg5
kellspants
kizbut1
l.e.o
ljay
Mad GIT
madders
McPlum
mgravestock
Mif
Minefield
Minkie's Mate
MrSporty
Nine Elms Navigators
oconnellmark425
omnicache
Pa en Ma Beer
paul999
Pete'n'Sue
peteblight
pkel
Pony Pirates
pooleorch
RDKPLF
rig07
RiSaRd
rizdebski
robwall
Roving Rangers
scubadoos
Seat2 Table1
Sentosa
Shrubbery Man
simtrekking
SL&A
Slowryde
SpecialKays
stephenoldham
Syrius Black
T&B&Patch
Team Giblert
Team James
tervulf
The Barrington Squad
The Bean Family
The Buckets
The Freelanders
The Gladstone Gang
The Hibberts
The Jamesies
The Madd House
The Medlars
TheBryans
TheWeston's
Tilly Tall Hair
Tinsel
Trove
ukamerican
Walker Boh
Wet Herby
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
xBadgerbobby
xrboyuk
zenafa

Not bad for one week, eh?

Now, at this point, we usually have a heated debate about whether congratulations should all be done in a single thread, or as one thread per person. Who's gonna start us off?! :);):lol:

Now, at this point, we usually have a heated debate about whether congratulations should all be done in a single thread, or as one thread per person.  Who's gonna start us off?!  :)  ;)  :lol:

I'll take the bait! :)

I do think these congratualation threads clutter up the forum, especially as there is a pinned thread specifically for them....

Why don't people use it? It's not as if anyone ever says anything particularly useful in them anyway....

Please note that this moan is not aimed at anyone in particular. :)

Edited by The Golem

Now, at this point, we usually have a heated debate about whether congratulations should all be done in a single thread, or as one thread per person.  Who's gonna start us off?!  :)  ;)  :lol:

I do think these congratulation threads clutter up the forum, especially as there is a pinned thread specifically for them....

Why don't people use it? It's not as if anyone ever says anything particularly useful in them anyway....

Please note that this moan is not aimed at anyone in particular. :)

Well I will admit that I have been guilty of congratulating others outside of the pinned thread; but yes there are far too many of these congratulation threads and it really makes it hard for people to filter out the interesting new topics / mails of the day as the bright envelopes do shine out with the rest. I just find myself opening and closing them to get them out of my list. Can we please, please, please not have any more congratulation threads and use the one Lactodorum pinned at the top.

Milton (aka Moote)

Now I guess that I will get slaughtered for this :D

Edited by Moote

Now, at this point, we usually have a heated debate about whether congratulations should all be done in a single thread, or as one thread per person. Who's gonna start us off?! :);):lol:

Milton (aka Moote)

Now I guess that I will get slaughtered for this :)

No mate that's your personal choice :D , after a informal vote on this issue the majority who expressed an opinion preferred to carry on posting congratulations in the main threads. Comments about the pinned thread being cluttered and it is hard to find a specific person were mentioned as reasons why.

Dave

Personally, I can see the arguments for both sides. I suppose I tend to come down on the side of new threads, almost entirely for Dave's good reason above, that its can be hard to find particular names. However, I agree that it can make for some cluttered forums.

I suppose, in general, if individual congrats threads are well labelled as such (as they usually are), then its not too hard to either ignore them, or do what I do which is open and then back up, to mark them as read. Just my humble opinion, which I appreciate sounds completely hipocritical after sobbing at my own lack of congrats!! :lol:;) In the long run, with most people having some kind of free internet access (I appreciate not all) it doesn't really cost much in time or money!

I repeat my suggestion made when this was previously discussed - post congratulations here so people can know that milestones have been passed then close the topic and follow up congratulation can be posted on the pinned topic.

That way proper recognition can be given and those of us who get fed up every Monday ploughing through congratulations which keep being bumped to the top will be able to find the items of general interest as well.

As this originally started out as a "welcome" thread I'd like to drag it back on line and say

Welcome to the Huwbies!

They've been cachers for about a month here in South Wales and they deserve a mention today because they've just achieved a FTF on our new Ghostly cache.

(And if I let them know about this post maybe they'll drop in to the Forum :cool: )

Mrs B