Attaching Tag To Tb

Squadtech

Hi,

I am relatively new to geocaching and have quickly become addicted! I just recieved my TB Tags in the mail and want to put a couple out into the world. My question is, what do you all recommend as a preferred means of attachment. They came with the adjustable chains, but all of the TB's I have seen so far have used a key ring to attach the tag to the bug. What are your experiences?

Thanks!

I've used the included chain (usually cut down quite a bit), key rings, and even quick ties.

For "directions/goals" I use GBC "SelfSeal Repositinable" laminating pouches (they become permanent in 24 hours). They are about $5-7 for 10. I will sometimes nopt include an info tag if the bug just wants to travel around with no particular goal.

I went to the hardware store and had them cut me short lengths of thin cable. I then put the cable through the hole in my bug and through the TB tag and then put the ends into the "whatever you call it" that you smash to connect the ends. They sell those in the same section as the cable. I smash it in my vise and it works well. Here is what I'm talking about:

ac528a75-145c-4457-882a-8c0ab577855d.jpg

Keep It Cool TB

5f809122-71ee-462b-bbed-58a91327e020.jpg

Thanks For The Memory TB

My favorite are keyrings that are hinged on one side and open in half (not the kind you thread through, because that just won't work for many bug shapes). They proved somewhat difficult to find, but I finally located a stock in a little hardware store just down the street. At $.69 each, I bought the lot.

I have released bugs using the chain they come with, though. Not super sturdy, but I haven't had problems with those bugs that I know of. I usually snip them to the shortest plausible length (you can break them anywhere) and use a double strand of it.

Being a fisherwoman, this type of set-up comes to mind, but I buy the leader material, and these little things called sleeves (no epoxy) and you put the steel leader through the sleeve, attaching your bug in place of the hook, run it back to the sleeve, making a loop to hold the bug, and bring the end through the sleeve and clamp it down with crimping pliers. Do the same for the other end to attach the tag. It's not very expensive if you are making more than one. you can get a really strong one say 30lb test, or lighter - 5lb test. The one I found online was way more than I ever paid for it. Try your local tackle shop if they supply tackle for big fish.

Cable ties, ball and chain, embedded in epoxy, riveted, keyrings, there's all kinds of ways. :bad:

I've used the included chain (usually cut down quite a bit), key rings, and even quick ties.

For "directions/goals" I use GBC "SelfSeal Repositinable" laminating pouches (they become permanent in 24 hours). They are about $5-7 for 10. I will sometimes nopt include an info tag if the bug just wants to travel around with no particular goal.

I was looking for these self-laminating pouches and I found some. The ones that were business card size (perfect for TB goals) were like $10 CDN for a 10-pack, which seemd a little bit expensive for me. They were not "repositionable" though. Then they had the "repositionable" ones you are talking about, but the size was 4x6 " I think. They were a couple of bux more expensive.

My question is: can you cut those bigger ones into smaller pieces and use them for laminating smaller, i.e. business card pieces of paper?

For my most recent TB - Bartzilla - I went to Office Depot and bought the business card sized laminating tags. I put my TB info into the laminating plastic and then put that into the cardboard sleeve that you are supposed to run through your laminating machine. I placed THAT inside a washcloth and ironed it with the regular clothes iron on the high setting. I ironed one side and then turned the entire thing over and ironed the other side. Aside from a very flat wash cloth I ended up with a perfectly laminated travel bug info card. A simple hole punch later and I was ready to affix it to the TB along with the numbered dog tags. I used my standard 5" long skinny cable (I think it's 1/16" cable but can't remember for sure) from the hardware store that I showed in my above post. The cable is NOT coming off accidentally.

I'd recommend this for anybody who wants a nicely laminated info tag and doesn't want to drop $89 or so for a low end laminating machine.

Edited by thrak
For my most recent TB - Bartzilla - I went to Office Depot and bought the business card sized laminating tags. I put my TB info into the laminating plastic and then put that into the cardboard sleeve that you are supposed to run through your laminating machine. I placed THAT inside a washcloth and ironed it with the regular clothes iron on the high setting. I ironed one side and then turned the entire thing over and ironed the other side. Aside from a very flat wash cloth I ended up with a perfectly laminated travel bug info card. A simple hole punch later and I was ready to affix it to the TB along with the numbered dog tags. I used my standard 5" long skinny cable (I think it's 1/16" cable but can't remember for sure) from the hardware store that I showed in my above post. The cable is NOT coming off accidentally.

I'd recommend this for anybody who wants a nicely laminated info tag and doesn't want to drop $89 or so for a low end laminating machine.

Wow. Thanks for the advice thrak! Although I don't really know what cardboard sleeve you are talking about (I'm not really familiar with laminating), but the iron thing sounds like a very good idea.

I was insipred by you with the cable (yes, I got some 1/16" cable today along with the aluminium sleeves for joining the cable together). Question: do you use pliers or a hammer to join the cable together?

BTW: I know laminating machines are expensive, but I saw one at walmart today for like $30 CDN. That's not a bad price if you do a lot of laminating (which I don't).

I like to use self laminating sheets you get two of them and stick them together a pack of ten is about 2 dollars and they are the size of regular notebook paper and their easy to cut down and make any size. You can find them in the computer paper section of any walmart. As for the conection to the bug it self I like to use keychains!! :(:D

Nothing like that in our Walmart. :(

I like to use self laminating sheets you get two of them and stick them together a pack of ten is about 2 dollars and they are the size of regular notebook paper and their easy to cut down and make any size.  You can find them in the computer paper section of any walmart. As for the conection to the bug it self I like to use keychains!! :(  :D

How many do you need? I can send you some at cost and the price of a stamp.

Heck, I'll send you one for free. (just you, of course) Send me an email.

I like to use self laminating sheets you get two of them and stick them together a pack of ten is about 2 dollars and they are the size of regular notebook paper and their easy to cut down and make any size.  You can find them in the computer paper section of any walmart. As for the conection to the bug it self I like to use keychains!! :D  :D

How many do you need? I can send you some at cost and the price of a stamp.

Heck, I'll send you one for free. (just you, of course) Send me an email.

I sent you an e-mail. :(