Any Mtbers?

MajorMajor

When I ride, I usually like to map out where I'm going ahead of time, so I don't use the GPS to track myself. However, I have taken the bike out specifically to go caching, and have met with mixed success. I even had plans to make some bike specific hides, but instead ended up moving recently and am thus farther away from any place suitable - - located more in central Jersey now, where the riding isn't as fun or challenging, and a bike specific hide becomes that much more difficult to plan.

I've been a mountain biker for about 7 years now. Just got into geocaching at the end of March this year. Never went mountain biking to find a cache yet but I plan to. I'm getting my g/f(QT) into biking and I want her to be more comfortable on tougher terrain before we go out caching on our bikes. I have a few caches picked out already and I know what the terrain is like to get to them.

Krazymtbr

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1f-85539994a539

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e2-08635d38330e

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2b-2da95f15d865

Were all suburban caches designed to be best done bybicycle. None too difficult. For the older fatter fat tire set.

I also recommend that BrianSnat's Goat House and Bear Swamp Lake, Cleveland Bridge be done by bicycle. Park on Ramapo Valley Road, there is a small turnoff , just north of Bear Swamp Road. Geet on and ride up to the top on Bear Swamp Road do the caches and ride down , nothing to them for a jersey boy. :)

Edited by Packanack

I take my GPS almost everywhere, certainly on my bike rides. Having the maps on board is a great help when on the road, tracking your ride, etc. I don't ride that much off-road but have done a couple of Packanack caches by bike. I also did a number of "suburban" caches via early Sunday morning rides. Off the Velocipide Trail in Ramsey is a great one to do by bike, much better than driving from stage to stage.

While on vacation on Cape Cod during the summer, I did a number of Caches by bike, all near to the famed Cape Cod Rail Trail. If you should ever get the chance, it is great. There is one 100 Miles to Boston, which is literally a few feet off the trail, and precisely 100 miles to Boston. traversed by thousands per week that if you are not looking for it you would never notice, such is the camo.

There is one Chester Depot Cache on the delightful Orange County Heritage Trail in between Goshen and Monroe NY, which is a great bike cache. Orange County trail is home to several more. Great foliage bike ride also.

I also recommend that BrianSnat's Goat House and Bear Swamp Lake, Cleveland Bridge be done by bicycle. Park on Ramapo Valley Road, there is a small turnoff , just north of Bear Swamp Road. Geet on and ride up to the top on Bear Swamp Road do the caches and ride down, nothing to them for a jersey boy

That is mostly Bergen County property and they ban mountain bikes there. I'm sure you do see bikes there, but they are there illegally.

Bergen County property and they ban mountain bikes there

Bike Ride to Bear Swamp Lake.

I will have to check that and recommend that anyone else do the same, before making the ride. I asked and was specifically told by the Bergen County Parks Department that bikes are allowed only on "paved surfaces" which I took to mean on the roadway itself only, not to be taken off road. Several Mountain Bike sites carry it as a ride.

http://www.schmidt.as/biking.htm

More Bike Ride Caches can be found in the Saddle River Park, which runs from Wild Duck Pond Ridgewood down to Saddle Brook and includes the great SCRAT1 and SCRAT II Caches, along with Bergen County Parks among many other fine caches.

Central Park Caches can also be done as bicycle caches, and I intend to do them as such in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Packanack
I will have to check that and recommend that anyone else do the same, before making the ride. I asked and was specifically told by the Bergen County Parks Department that bikes are allowed only on "paved surfaces" which I took to mean on the roadway itself only, not to be taken off road

I guess Bear Swamp Road itself is fine, but the area trails are not, including a small portion of the ride you linked to.

Edited by briansnat

An excellent mountain bike appropriate cache is "Aye Caramba!!". Good ride (about 8-10 miles), great singletrack and some fun downhills. Just watch the bears (see my log). I didn't finish so if anyone wants to go for a ride, I'll go.

If you are still interested, I'm thinking of going in April. I have to dust off the mountain bike but I think it's still in good shape.

Edited by Straatmaker 5

An excellent mountain bike appropriate cache is "Aye Caramba!!". Good ride (about 8-10 miles), great singletrack and some fun downhills. Just watch the bears (see my log). I didn't finish so if anyone wants to go for a ride, I'll go.

If you are still interested, I'm thinking of going in April. I have to dust off the mountain bike but I think it's still in good shape.

I'm still game. It's a great ride.