Saturation Point?

The Golem

I intend to create a number of new caches but I'm curious whether it's possible to have too many in one area. I live just outside Keswick and a quick search shows a couple of dozen within 10 miles of home. Is there always room for another one?

Your thoughts please....

Edited by The Golem

Hi, this topic has been covered a few times actually. I think the general consensus is that if a cache has something individual to offer then there is usually room for it. Personally the only time when I think an area is 'saturated' is when there are loads and loads of similar caches with nothing of great value to offer the finder.

Think of an interesting way to hide it, create some funky camouflage or make it cryptic, something that will make it stand out, this way I doubt you will receive any complaints. :P

I agree with Rocky, its a good idea to put a bit of thought into your hides, rather than just a pile of sticks at the base of a tree.

But on the other hand, as you live in Keswick then you can't go wrong, flood the area with caches

I need any excuse that i can to get up to the lakes.

i have 60 caches under 10 miles from my home coords around Northwich in cheshire, and this area isn't flooded yet,

Check out the caches map at G:uk to see how your area compares with say,Bucks.

The area north of keswick and cockermouth upto carlisle does seem to be a bit of a cache dessert or is it desert?

It is indeed!

Shame, as I have an annual trip up there with a few mates to try the local Jennings! :P

With regards to "too many caches" so long as they are interesting in their own right or are used to create a trail or good multi, then I see no problem :P

Do you have any tools like Memory Map or Garmin Map Source? If so you can download all the caches in the UK from G:UK and import them into the application. From there you will be able to see the cache deserts and clusters. It would give you an idea of where all the caches are.

Milton

The Golem wrote:

Nope!

The page loads up but the map isn't displayed - it just comes up with the outline of a box with a little cross and the word "map"!

I think you need to be registered with GCUK and logged in for the map to work. At least, I've just tried it from that link and I got no map and I was shown as not logged in. I then used a bookmark to go there already logged in, and the map displayed.

I think you need to be registered with GCUK and logged in for the map to work. At least, I've just tried it from that link and I got no map and I was shown as not logged in. I then used a bookmark to go there already logged in, and the map displayed.

Yes that did it! The map jumps around all over the place and it's a bit slow to update but it works....thanks for the help guys :D

Now another thing to spend hours in front of instead of doing something useful... :bad:

I've just done a search and there are 220 within 20 miles of my home (again Northwich, but on the other side!!)

We are still really eager for new caches, and so I would say...

If there's a lovely place, something interesting, somewhere special, get a cache into it if you can get permission.

Keswick... we too have an annual jaunt up there, and there are a million more places for caches!!! I think the Smileys had better have a busy winter!!!

The area north of keswick and cockermouth upto carlisle does seem to be a bit of a cache dessert or is it desert?

I had a good look at the map yesterday and to be honest there don't seem to be very many interesting places to stash a cache. The area is mainly agricultural although there are one or two places like Allonby and Bewaldeth that are a possibility....

I think I'll concentrate on the area nearer home. I've just been out to my cache today (freezing on that lake) and there are number of likely looking spots just around Derwentwater. :)

Watch this space - just don't expect me to tell you about it... :D

Edited by The Golem