Paperless Caching

Today was my first day of paperless, and let me tell you. I will probably never use paper again. It was awesome to go to one cache and do a "nearby" search on the Garmin and in cachemate and just go from there. Then for logging having times, took, left, and being able to filter by found. Wow. Makes it so much easier.

Anyways for the information:

I created PQ's in the two areas and drag the file from Zip into a Cache Folder

Then Download GSAK from resource page. Creat a database, File>Open>then browse for the file you just DLed. It will open up all the Waypoints in that window

Then get Cachemate and upload it to your PDA.

Hook up your GPS and PDA to your computer.

GPS > Send Waypoints to send to GPS

FILE > Export > Cachemate PDB File it will automatically queue it in your Hot Sync list.

Hot Sync.

All the points are now on your GPS and PDA.

Go CAche

You could use my method of paperless caching, involving nothing more complicated than my GPSr.  :bad:

I've gotten to where I only use my GPSr as well. Once I download the .loc and open it in EasyGPS, I just edit the waypoint and make the description a quick description, using abbreviations and shorthand(basically). If I need extra info that won't fit, I have a spiral notebook that I write down the info in and then take with me in the car.

I've gotten to where I only use my GPSr as well. Once I download the .loc and open it in EasyGPS, I just edit the waypoint and make the description a quick description, using abbreviations and shorthand(basically). If I need extra info that won't fit, I have a spiral notebook that I write down the info in and then take with me in the car.

I am glad to see I am not the only insane one out there. I did neglect to mention that I add to the GC waypoint name some shorthand information.

After the GCXXXX, I believe I have about 5 more figures. If the cache is a traditional standard size (ammo can or such), nothing is added to that name. If the cache is a micro, and a film canister, then I put in something like GCXXXXMF, indicating micro film. If a multi, then GCXXXXMMFRT (which would mean Multi, first leg Micro Film, final Regular Tupperware). Like you, for offset or mystery/puzzle caches, I take notes.

Hints? If the cache looks nasty, I put an H in there that a hint exists. I either call for someone to decode for me and tell me on the phone, or tough luck for me on that cache if I cannot find it. I go home if a DNF and look at the hint, and if the location was worthy of a return, I have the hint stored in my neurons to assist me. The two times I have DNFed a cache with a hint, the hint did not really assist in the find anyhow. The first was one where knowing where not to look (already covered many hiding spots) assisted more than a hint to where to look (under a rock... in a field of rocks...gee, thanks for the hint), and the second today, where telephone back-up gave me the hint, and I still could not find the cache. :bad: I generally tend to remember the cache description from reading the listing, which is facilitated by my record day being 17 finds, and my average finds in a day (other than drive-by opportunity caching of new local caches) is 8 or 9. Again, this is by design to fit my style.

This method does not necessarily lend to racking up numbers quickly, and some folks are appalled that I could consider caching this way. However, I tend to stop and smell the flowers in the area, and appreciate why the hider has brought me to the location. If I DNF, and the area has no intrinsic value and is a long distance from my caching HQ, then I ignore (gasp!) that cache.

For the most part I stopped using printouts. I will copy the name, coordinates, anything usefull in the descrption, and the hint onto a word document and print out five or six caches on one page. For more than that I save the page and its map to my laptop and take it with me in the truck. I want to get a better laptop with wireless internet so I can log finds as I go, but that expensive.

If I need extra info that won't fit, I have a spiral notebook that I write down the info in and then take with me in the car.

If you use a spiral notebook, how is it paperless caching?

T.

Well, it's not completely paperless-although the notebook is basically my PDA-I use it to put notes on anything I do in it. I also get about 11 or 12 listings per page(depending on how small I write), so I use 1 full page(front/back) for a couple dozen caches, instead of a couple dozen sheets of printer paper. Saves in printer ink too(which ain't cheap!).

Jeep Dog -

If you put your PDA in a hard case, it won't turn itself on. :)

There - paperless again! ;)

Oh! I guess I could have done that! I had not thought of that. I suppose you operate with more RAM than I do. If I was a light bulb, I would probably only be in the 20 watt range. :) If I was a GPSr, I would probably be a Magellan... :D

Actually, on one outing I had PDA issues, I continued hunting with just coordinates in the GPSr. I found that method more challenging and/or fun (more surprise in the hunt), so I stuck with it. :D

I forgot my Palm one day and "sort of" enjoyed the hunt. :)

I have GSAK create "smart names" for the waypoints in my GPSr, so at least I knew if I was looking for a Micro or a Regular, Traditional or Multi.

I have a hard case for my Palm M500 . . . oh, and my Palm turns itself off automatically if I forget to turn it off myself . . . :D

There are many caches out there that require information included in the description to find them. I never used to let it bother me when I found that I was trying to hunt such a cache with only the GPSr. But it is far more satisfying, knowing that I now have at my fingertips all the info that is required to find even these caches.

Cachemate rocks!

i use easygps, but i always read threads like these in which people rave about cachemate and gsak. what can you do with cachemate and gsak, that you can't do with easygps? i'm curious about what i may be missing. (i use an ipaq)

Cachemate is a program for Palm pilots that allows you take the cache webpage with you, including description, hints and past logs and some other cool feature such as search for nearest caches.

Gsak is basically the same as easygps with a lot more features. GSAK stands for "Geocaching Swiss army knife" so a good comparison is that Easygps is a regular pocket knife. B)

i use easygps, but i always read threads like these in which people rave about cachemate and gsak.  what can you do with cachemate and gsak, that you can't do with easygps?  i'm curious about what i may be missing.  (i use an ipaq)

I, too, used EasyGPS. It was great. GSAK is sooo.. much better. Even if you never use it to send data to a PDA. GSAK has filters that help eliminate caches that you don't want to look for (DNFs, archived, Terrain of 5+, you get the idea). GSAK also gives lots of extra info about each cache. The program can also send your cache waypoints to other programs such as Map Source, Streets and Trips, etc. and also send the waypoints to your GPSr.

Glad that this forum turned me on to it.

RV'er

Edited by RV'er

I just started using my BlackBerry today for caching. By using the wireless website I was able to query and log finds in real time. Pretty cool. I posted a request on the website topics forum to see if they could add some additional information to the pages so they are more useful. But you could use them on any wireless web device whether it be a BlackBerry or cell phone.

what can you do with cachemate and gsak, that you can't do with easygps?

I use a combination of Google Maps, gpsbabel, and GSAK to give me a completely free way to do "caches on a route". This page:

http://www.alancurry.com/gpsbabel/route3.php

has instructions for using Google Maps and gpsbabel to create an ARC file from driving directions, and then you can use GSAK to filter your cache listings based on distance from that ARC. The worst part is generating a bunch of PQs to cover your route, but until gc.com adds features for this type of thing, you're stuck in that boat no matter what your solution for caches on a route. The upside is that other than your premium membership, this can be a totally free way to do caches on a route!

Also, I agree with the other poster to say that the filtering capabilities of GSAK are very powerful. I've used those capabilities to define filters for kid-friendly caches, caches containing Jeep TBs, etc.