"surprise" Cache?

suz55tbird

While reading the "offset caches" thread here, I was reminded of something I've encountered...what do you think of going to a traditional cache, and amongst the contents, there's a bag of little papers that contain a puzzle which, when solved, lead you to another unlisted cache nearby? There's nothing on the cache page that would indicate that such a "surprise" existed. I really enjoyed this, but other cachers in the area just ignore it because it wouldn't result in a "find".

I would find the new cache... Sounds like that would be fun. Of course, is the surprise cache just another cache of the same stuff, or is there a reason to find the surprise cache?

If you're going to go to the trouble of hiding an unlisted cache and sending people to it, there should be a reason. Otherwise, why not just make it a multi-cache or two traditionals?

That's a great idea. I would love that!

We did one recently with that sort of surprise. We thought we were looking for a regular cache, and at the coordinates, found a film can with a little note in it with instructions to find the cache. We had to find the lone representative of a certain kind of tree, and the cache was under that tree.

I love that idea, it's a great, kid-friendly, fun thing to do. :P

I like the idea and already found one of those. I was supposed to look for a micro in the woods. There I found a key and the coordinates for the "real" cache. It was a nice surprise to see the "largest" micro ever :P I was already in the woods and didn't mind the little additional walk.

However, I wouldn't like the surprise at a place were I wouldn't expect to spend time a bit. E.g. when you expect a fast grab on the way through town and then you wouldn't be able to finish it as fast as the webpage implies.

However, I wouldn't like the surprise at a place were I wouldn't expect to spend time a bit. E.g. when you expect a fast grab on the way through town and then you wouldn't be able to finish it as fast as the webpage implies.

Yah, but unless the page says grab-and-go, you can't really expect it to be grab-and-go. Obviously, that is a claim you wouldn't be able to make for a surprise cache. Sometimes there have been caches that took longer than I expected, but that was just poor planning on my part, I guess - not a misleading cache page.

There's a cache series in my area a little like this.

GCNMNY

It consists of a series of 11 caches where the first 10 each contain part of a puzzle that must be solved in order to determine the coordinates of the 11th. All eleven caches are posted and logable (but its not about the numbers)

The OP's idea could be done something like this:

List the final cache with bogus coordinates and simply tell people that the REAL coordinates can be found in another cache in the area. Just don't tell WHICH cache. If you want to be a little kinder, give them a radius to limit their search, or some other clues. Then, either cooperate with another cache owner in the area to put the coordinates in their cache, or place another cache of your own, that contains the coordinates. (It might be a little obvious if you get 2 caches approved at the same time and one of them is the mystery cache, however)

While reading the "offset caches" thread here, I was reminded of something I've encountered...what do you think of going to a traditional cache, and amongst the contents, there's a bag of little papers that contain a puzzle which, when solved, lead you to another unlisted cache nearby? There's nothing on the cache page that would indicate that such a "surprise" existed. I really enjoyed this, but other cachers in the area just ignore it because it wouldn't result in a "find".

I would go for it, "find smilie" or not! Especially if the "surprise" was a take-what-you-like but do not feel obligated to leave anything (since someone may not have swag with them for the micro).

I like the idea, and think it would be fun, especially on a day with a long string of micros, for a change of pace. Yet, I could see many cachers who would indeed ignore it since it would not help their "numbers." :P

I know someone who was a FTF at a cache. The FTF prize was a nice spinning reel with an 1858 (something like that) half dollar hooked to it. There was an additional FTF of a set of coordinates that led to the rod that matched the reel. It was meant for one person only - just the FTF.

I know someone who was a FTF at a cache. The FTF prize was a nice spinning reel with an 1858 (something like that) half dollar hooked to it. There was an additional FTF of a set of coordinates that led to the rod that matched the reel. It was meant for one person only - just the FTF.

Now thats a great FTF!

Here is a cache that I did that is similar to what you are talking about:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...22-a5c5e3eef003

I'm thinking you might be able to modify this a bit. List the cache saying the location is located in another cache, but don't list that cache. This allows both the "surprise" factor to the cache that contains the coordinates and the cacher gets a smiley.

Now would it be possible to get it approved?