Singapore Geocachers

chengsing

Hi, aushiker

Hope you have a good trip to singapore!

3 hours - does that include travelling time? Cos travelling to and from town would take a good 2 hours by public transport!

You can start searching on geocaching google maps with I thought I saw a crocodile (GCY5BQ) and see which caches suit you best. Easily accessible ones which are a short hike from main roads that buses ply are Quarry's End and Rock Climbing Cave.

We're not sure what bus service goes there but you can ask hotel staff for directions to the Rail Mall along Upper Bukit Timah Road. Or take a cab.

Then again, there are lots of urban caches within walking distance of your hotel, mostly micros tho.

Good luck!

G'day

Visiting Singapore for a quick visit over the weekend. Will be here mainly for work (teaching) but hope to get maybe three hours in geocaching/walking Saturday morning.

Would like to visit a reserve (walk trails) and maybe do a few caches (not micros) in the reserve. Any suggestions?

I will be staying in Coleman Street (near the Raffles) so ideas on getting to the reserve and back would be appreciated as well.

Finally will have a few coins with me for possible release.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

How about casurina land.... it is not as far as the hotel than bukit timah.... and it is a fairly large cache....

Hello,

We are looking to move a travel bug that belongs to some good caching friends of ours, The Tikibirds. The travel bug, BUJTB, is in a race with 3 other TBs to accumulate as many miles as it can before Midnight, December 31st, 2007. The Cache team who moves the winning TB the furthest wins a prize. The TB DOES NOT have to return home to win.

We are looking for a cacher in Singapore that we can mail the TB to. All we ask is that you put it in a cache in your area, hopefully a Travel Bug Hotel. We will pay for all shipping costs. All we need is your mailing address. Please feel free to contact us through our GC profile.

Thanks,

Deane & Linda

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI USA

soryy for my out-of-topic reply..

im fr singapore too..so juz wann ask if any1 using nokia n95 for geocaching? if so how to use the coordinates?

im newbie..never try b4..but interested..so actually how to go abt geocaching? i read tat expensive hi-end gps set r not necessary..so my n95 might fit the bill..but trees n tall building might affect my signal...

eg.if get the coordinates of cache..den wat can i do with it? wat can i do with waypoints?or n95 need other software to input the points?

Heading to the States mid-June happy to take any TB's needing to head back to North America. Also, if anyone wants Groundspeak paraphanelia carried back, I can give you a mailing address and will be happy to carry it for you. Will be arriving back about 2 August.

I placed Cessna at ToaPayoh. :)

I will give the paraphanalia a pass....

I got more than enough with me... 40 TBs and lots of other items... anyone wants to get one? :(

thanks for the offer... :mad:

Edited by helicraz

im fr singapore too..so juz wann ask if any1 using nokia n95 for geocaching? if so how to use the coordinates?

im newbie..never try b4..but interested..so actually how to go abt geocaching? i read tat expensive hi-end gps set r not necessary..so my n95 might fit the bill..but trees n tall building might affect my signal...

eg.if get the coordinates of cache..den wat can i do with it? wat can i do with waypoints?or n95 need other software to input the points?

Welcome to the geocaching community.

As long as you have it GPS.. it is will be easier. Just give the GPSes some error buffer... and comb the area, starting from GZ, slowly expanding the search zone. Even if you are holding a super-dooper-top-of-the-line GPS, it doesn't mean the person who hide the cache owns one and provided a to-the-millimeter accurate co-ordinates.

Make good use of Google earth too... though it may not point you to the right location, but at least near by. At times it is very accurate. Ask sirhcoey, he started geocaching without GPS, armed only with google map.

Read the FAQ: http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

Start with the easier caches... those that are marked difficulty:1, terrian:1, and with containers that are not medium/large. Once you get an idea of what is it all about...

And use your "lifelines": "Email the owner/friend", "Call the owner/friend", "tag along a expert cacher".

As long as you have it GPS.. it is will be easier. Just give the GPSes some error buffer... and comb the area, starting from GZ, slowly expanding the search zone. Even if you are holding a super-dooper-top-of-the-line GPS, it doesn't mean the person who hide the cache owns one and provided a to-the-millimeter accurate co-ordinates.

Make good use of Google earth too... though it may not point you to the right location, but at least near by. At times it is very accurate. Ask sirhcoey, he started geocaching without GPS, armed only with google map.

Start with the easier caches... those that are marked difficulty:1, terrian:1, and with containers that are not medium/large. Once you get an idea of what is it all about...

And use your "lifelines": "Email the owner/friend", "Call the owner/friend", "tag along a expert cacher".

i read thru the faq already... not very clear ....GZ means?

ground zero.

sorry for the double post...

wanted to edit but some1 got some error.. coz i need to ask another question..

i dun understand y a gps is needed for tis sport?

since coordinates r given in tis sports.. wat we can do is search for the location via google earth..get the location down..den go to site..so no need gps rite?

so just wanna noe how helpful is a gps to this sport when we can search on internet 1st den go down to site?

since coordinates r given in tis sports.. wat we can do is search for the location via google earth..get the location down..den go to site..so no need gps rite?

so just wanna noe how helpful is a gps to this sport when we can search on internet 1st den go down to site?

- google earth may not be as accurate as the newer gps when u get to the site.

- no need to try to look from top down, worst when u get under some trees

- have u check out the google earth images of jurong west+vacinity? ;-)

- some cache are multi stages, that is you need to solve vaious 'waypoints' or puzzle to get to the final location. if you rely purely on google earth, you might incur lots of phone bill accessing at the field.

yes, there are indeed some like 'no looking back' where gps is not needed at the final location.

try out some simple cache like emily rose, hole in one, lifeless root, rip. you will understand better. then go for the other extreme like dongzhi, contact, opus...

or many get rough out type in ubin, bt timah, various water catchments and even some accessible via canoe

- google earth may not be as accurate as the newer gps when u get to the site.

- no need to try to look from top down, worst when u get under some trees

- have u check out the google earth images of jurong west+vacinity? ;-)

- some cache are multi stages, that is you need to solve vaious 'waypoints' or puzzle to get to the final location. if you rely purely on google earth, you might incur lots of phone bill accessing at the field.

yes, there are indeed some like 'no looking back' where gps is not needed at the final location.

try out some simple cache like emily rose, hole in one, lifeless root, rip. you will understand better. then go for the other extreme like dongzhi, contact, opus...

or many get rough out type in ubin, bt timah, various water catchments and even some accessible via canoe

Hi DeadBench,

I'm new to geocaching too. Just started a while back. You can learn more about geocaching from the net. Just search: eg: http://www.geocacher-u.com/101/index.html for a really good tutorial for your first hunt. Wikipedia:Geocaching tells you more about geocaching.

Start with an easy cache: difficulty 1/1 and just learn as you go. It's incredibly fun.

Cheers!

p.s. I've been doing a bit of geocaching without a GPS, but not all caches can be done that way. Pls see: http://sirhcoey.googlepages.com/geocachingwithoutagps

What are some of the ways you use to disguise your geocaching activities when there are muggles about?

I've brought my dog - great for parks. I've held a camera - pretended to photograph a statue. I've bought an ice cream and ate it while standing beside the cache. I've also read that you can put on earphones and people just think that the GPSr that you're holding is a mp3 player.

I discovered a new way yesterday when looking for Around The Corner, which is in a public place. I simply looked around as if I'm supposed to meet someone but who hasn't arrived yet. Then I took out my handphone, pretended to dial, then put it to my ear. I then walked around and absent-mindedly poked around for the cache. It just looks like I'm walking around talking to somebody.

What other methods have you tried?

What are some of the ways you use to disguise your geocaching activities when there are muggles about?

I've brought my dog - great for parks. I've held a camera - pretended to photograph a statue. I've bought an ice cream and ate it while standing beside the cache. I've also read that you can put on earphones and people just think that the GPSr that you're holding is a mp3 player.

I discovered a new way yesterday when looking for Around The Corner, which is in a public place. I simply looked around as if I'm supposed to meet someone but who hasn't arrived yet. Then I took out my handphone, pretended to dial, then put it to my ear. I then walked around and absent-mindedly poked around for the cache. It just looks like I'm walking around talking to somebody.

What other methods have you tried?

take out my stylus.. start punching my PDA...

if wearing business attire:

- looks business like... like some kind of stat board staff on official duty taking notes.

if casual

- looks a little bored.. and pretend playing game on the PDA

if caught coming out behind some tree... actually no one really bother... they just thought I went there for a leak.. and look disgusted at me.... ;)

now im using only n95..tat's my only gps source.. so i finally gotta a weeny bit idea on this thingy..

so if im not wrong.. u guys just import the loc file to ur gps.. and when u r out somewhere and happen to be near 1 of the cache..u can see via ur map..

so i successfully requested (trial)viewranger from the author which is a nice piece of software for gps specially for n95..however no singapore maps at the moment but i am able to import loc files... so im quite stuck here since i dun haf a singapore map to load in.. tried malsing,ofg2 ..not compatible.. it reads vrc format.

actually there are many cachers who look at what they want to do from the web, key in the coordinates into the GPS, print out the clue, print out the top down view from Google earth, then head to the location and search for it.

Not "happen to be near 1 of the cache..u can see via ur map.."

There are also some die-hard cachers who subscribe to the Groundspeak membership, get notified immediately when there is a new cache.. and head out there (even late at night) to search for it...

just remember that the GPS is part of the game... not all of it. Solving the clue is one part, searching at the actual location is another. Being stealth could be fun to some too... and most important of all, enjoy the location itself... it will bring you to many nice places.

Edited by helicraz

actually there are many cachers who look at what they want to do from the web, key in the coordinates into the GPS, print out the clue, print out the top down view from Google earth, then head to the location and search for it.

There are also some die-hard cachers who subscribe to the Groundspeak membership, get notified immediately when there is a new cache.. and head out there (even late at night) to search for it...

just remember that the GPS is part of the game... not all of it. Solving the clue is one part, searching at the actual location is another. Being stealth could be fun to some too... and most important of all, enjoy the location itself... it will bring you to many nice places.

ermm..suddenly see ur nick like the 1 i see in daddyhobby.. u dun happen to be the same person do u? anyway out of topic liao.. still looking for a symbian software tat can help me with geocaching.. i have downloaded the rail for viewranger ..its good.. but no singapore maps and format is in .vrc ..still tinking of way to convert..say malsing maps to this format.. maybe someday we can go geocache together..

ermm..suddenly see ur nick like the 1 i see in daddyhobby.. u dun happen to be the same person do u? anyway out of topic liao.. still looking for a symbian software tat can help me with geocaching.. i have downloaded the rail for viewranger ..its good.. but no singapore maps and format is in .vrc ..still tinking of way to convert..say malsing maps to this format.. maybe someday we can go geocache together..

Hi u might want to try this link http://www.nhgps.com/

I'm using nhgps for my symbian Sonyerricsson P910, very userfrenly....cheers!

Hi u might want to try this link http://www.nhgps.com/

I'm using nhgps for my symbian Sonyerricsson P910, very userfrenly....cheers!

Oops, juz found out that N95 is not UIQ phone...so dun think can dl nhgps, sorry.

deadbench,

Try mapviewGPS is free or a 14 days free trial smartcomGPS. Maps you can downloaded from malsingmaps.com. Hope you like it.

I was a nhGPS user, it still the best for outdoor activities like tracking in the forest & geocaching etc. It have all the function like a standalone Garmin GPS.

Hope you enjoy geocaching.

deadbench,

Try mapviewGPS is free or a 14 days free trial smartcomGPS. Maps you can downloaded from malsingmaps.com. Hope you like it.

I was a nhGPS user, it still the best for outdoor activities like tracking in the forest & geocaching etc. It have all the function like a standalone Garmin GPS.

thanks but unfortuately im using n95..and mapviewgps only support external gps and not internal..

deadbench,

smartcomgps/mapwiew was working on Motorola A920, A1000 with in built GPS. I think it should work with N95 as well.

Hey Singaporean Geocachers

I have started a series of geocoins : for every country where I find or hide a geocache, I publish a geocoin.

It's no longer a secret : my fifth country is Singapore, and I have just issued a coin featuring the Merlion

Check my website here !

Hope you like it , and if you want to buy one (or more) just click on This link

Here is the design.

Cheers

Ellandel (aka Luc)

Singapore%203.gif

I wonder if I might for ask some Singapoeran-geocacher help.

I'm coming over next week (from the UK), and am bringing a TB that's heading East. However, it's not small - it is paperback book size.

Can anybody recommend a cache which isn't too difficult, and is big enough to accept it? I've had a good look at the caches, and many of them seem to be micro's...and I'm not sure of the practicalities of getting miles away from CBD (I'm staying on Sentosa).

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Ray

Edited by Ray Fleming

Hi Ray,

We hope you'll enjoy your stay. As for big caches in Singapore.... hmmmm... We've been cracking our heads to think of some, but they are few and far between. Off hand, there's GC1824D By the Botanic Gardens. But it's a complicated multi-cache that takes you all over the Gardens. We took two weekends to do it. Still, don't miss the Gardens even if you don't do the cache.

The other cache we can recall is our own, Happy Birthday IJ2 (GCY778). But you'd have to take a bus to National University Hospital and then hike up along the road to it.

There's one on Sentosa called Cliffhanger, but we can't recall the size of the box.

Hope that helps. And good luck!

I wonder if I might for ask some Singapoeran-geocacher help.

I'm coming over next week (from the UK), and am bringing a TB that's heading East. However, it's not small - it is paperback book size.

Can anybody recommend a cache which isn't too difficult, and is big enough to accept it? I've had a good look at the caches, and many of them seem to be micro's...and I'm not sure of the practicalities of getting miles away from CBD (I'm staying on Sentosa).

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Ray

Hi...!! We will be taking part in the OCBC Cycle Singapore on 22 Feb 2009. If you are keen on cycling AND geocaching, we could form a geocachers contingent at the event! You could attach your GPS to your bike as a sure sign that you're 'one of us'! Haha... :) Hope to see some geocachers there!! Hmm... wonder if there are any caches we could grab along the way...

Hi...!! We will be taking part in the OCBC Cycle Singapore on 22 Feb 2009. If you are keen on cycling AND geocaching, we could form a geocachers contingent at the event! You could attach your GPS to your bike as a sure sign that you're 'one of us'! Haha... :D Hope to see some geocachers there!! Hmm... wonder if there are any caches we could grab along the way...

Sure, I'm signed up for the 40km (individual), while singaporegirl is signed for the 20km (in a team)

Not sure whether I can change my individual entry to a team entry now, but if we get 4 cachers doing the 40km I could try... (but I think teams are supposed to be from a company or such? didn't really read all that mumbo-jumbo...)

And I have problems taking my GPS *off the bike*, if you know what I mean

If we get a geocacher's team together, there will be surefire way to identify us: stopping at every cache along the route to log ... :-)