Singapore Geocachers

chengsing

Hi, guys and gals,

Any1 wants to play host to a visiting geocacher this weekend? He sent an email. GC name is AlienFF, email address is t.hoeppner@insightbb.com. Told him IJs just lazing around, waiting for new caches to be planted

!

Tom's email here:

Hello,

My name is Tom Hoeppner and I'm here in SG on business through Saturday 11 Nov. I'm staying at the Traders Hotel on Cuscaden Rd. I had hoped to get out and grab a couple of caches but don't know my way around. I picked your user name randomly from the cache pages I found to see if I could find someone to go cache with. Please pass this message, along with my e-mail address to anyone else that might be interested in going caching on Thursday or Friday evening or Saturday morning and wouldn't mind if I tagged along.

Contact me via e-mail or leave a message for me at the hotel.

http://www.sbstransit.com.sg/ - for more information about our public transport.

www.streetdirectory.com is also helpful to plan your routes

i am thinking the Esplanade's Glutton's Bay is not a bad idea as it is quite accessible

1) City hall mrt linked to esplanade

2) In the City where its more convenient for everybody.

Hi All,

That sounds good to me. Thanks for the links that should help me plan some of my cache raids.

Sorry to report I can't work out that Contact puzzle ;) Maybe some of the locals have some clues.

I will be offline soon, as we are have to pack up our computer for the big move south.

Is this going to be an event or just a get together, either way I will be there once we have all decided on a location and a time.

Looking forward to getting back to Singapore and finding some caches :D

See ya...Gary and Margaret

Ok.. Can we have a confirmation of who will be there on 2 Dec 8pm Glutton's Bay (@ The Esplanade Makansutra hawker centre)"? It would be easier to 'chope' / reserve seats if we know how many people will be turning up.

I am assuming the following will be present. Please copy and change the latest whole list in your replies. Remove the question marks if you are coming. Remove your name if you are NOT coming! :unsure:

Hope more people can make it!

1. KiwiGary

2. ChengSing

3. IndianaJanes (2 of us - Mag & Viv)

4. DragonLass

5. WhiteWizard

6. fkuan

7. Spasusi (?)

8. Javamama (?)

9. vinlpp (?)

10. thsalbert (?)

Ok.. Can we have a confirmation of who will be there on 2 Dec 8pm Glutton's Bay (@ The Esplanade Makansutra hawker centre)"? It would be easier to 'chope' / reserve seats if we know how many people will be turning up.

I am assuming the following will be present. Please copy and change the latest whole list in your replies. Remove the question marks if you are coming. Remove your name if you are NOT coming! :unsure:

Hope more people can make it!

1. KiwiGary

2. ChengSing

3. IndianaJanes (2 of us - Mag & Viv)

4. DragonLass

5. WhiteWizard

6. fkuan

7. Spasusi (?)

8. Javamama (?)

9. vinlpp (?)

10. thsalbert (?)

Yep. I'm in! Really looking forward to meeting you all. :ph34r:

Dinner shouldn't be a problem for nations & me. But make sure 'chope' one space for Baby Chloe.

As for the location, its funny coz that's where we met Javamama & spa susi for the first!

Anyway y don't make it an event cache so those who attend can write about their experience later and also log the find...cheers

Dinner shouldn't be a problem for nations & me. But make sure 'chope' one space for Baby Chloe.

As for the location, its funny coz that's where we met Javamama & spa susi for the first!

Anyway y don't make it an event cache so those who attend can write about their experience later and also log the find...cheers

Sounds great to us as well, it would be good to make it an event so people can also place some trackables into the event before hand.

If you need a hand setting up the page, drop me a line.

Also what are the co-ordinates of the location for the dinner?

Me and KiwiTulip (Margaret) will be there, looking forward to meeting you all.

See ya...Gary and Margarey

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...29-81b5b9c5bf9a

the event is visible on GC.com already..

thanks for fkuan's effort and the mod for publishing it early for us

Howde everyone...

ok... in case u've not seen the event page.... please do!

BUT please take note of something! The coordinates will bring you close to event. However due to the unpredictable nature of weather and seating availability.... the exact FINAL Coordinates will be posted in the event page coordinate. btw... its a micro. :wub: So in a way... we're adding a twist & fun to the event. :anicute:

On another note, I've established 2-3 event cache runs. just very nearby. Hmmm... I'll think of a game to go with the whole event. Anyone got any prizes to donate will be great!?!?!

Many apologies but I won't be able to make the Event meeting tomorrow evening. I have a family commitment which I cannot get out of. I was very much looking forward to meeting you all and can only hope that there will be another meet in the near future. I hope you all have great fun and that Kiwi Gary enjoys his stay here. All the best - DragonLass

The event was a big success.. thanks everybody for ya support!

Glad to hear your event went okay, but as the owner of a coin that went to the event I am a little disappointed to see it is, along with awhole lot of others, still not logged out of the event <_< .

So I am posting here as well as in the event page and via an email directly to WhiteWizard in an attempt to at least track down my own coin which went to the event. The coin is Aushiker Visits Singapore Geocoin.

Can anyone help in with locating who took the coin from the event? I would really like to see it moving along as per its objectives.

It would be very disappointing to see this coin, net alone all the trackables showing as being in the event, to have gone missing icon_smile_sad.gif.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

Hi Singapore Geocachers,

I have obtain dealership to bring in Geocaching products (from Groundspeak) into Singapore. For the time being, I am supplying to Singapore only. I am interested to find out what kind of products do you want me to bring into Singapore.

Please do drop me an email (and tell me what to bring in): shop@helicraz.info

You can preview the shop at http://shop.helicraz.info

Stock availabilty is expected to be in late Jan/Feb 07.

Cheers

Nic

Edited by helicraz

Hi Singapore Geocachers,

I have obtain dealership to bring in Geocaching products (from Groundspeak) into Singapore. For the time being, I am supplying to Singapore only. I am interested to find out what kind of products do you want me to bring into Singapore.

Please do drop me an email (and tell me what to bring in): shop@helicraz.info

You can preview the shop at http://shop.helicraz.info

Stock availabilty is expected to be in late Jan/Feb 07.

Cheers

Nic

Hi Singapore Geocachers...

Happy New Year. Latest update: I will receive the stocks tomorrow.

My shop is open for ordering now.

http://shop.helicraz.info

As I have very limited quantity in this shipment, don't wait too long if there is something you are eyeing at...

Cheers.

Woo Hoo... got my PDA back. Wasn't working when the company bus driver returned it to me... (3wks later) and the fact that I found some fish scales lodge between the cover and the PDA. Had the unit sent for servicing... and it's as good as new. :ph34r:

Anyways... does anyone out there know which is Singapore's 1st cache? As I was down at Alexander to fix my PDA, I saw 3 nearby caches and one of them named "Hidden Beauty Spot" seemed like the answer. Can any one verify? If so.... the last event at Makan sutra was SGC's 5yrs anniversary. :wub:

Woo Hoo... got my PDA back. Wasn't working when the company bus driver returned it to me... (3wks later) and the fact that I found some fish scales lodge between the cover and the PDA. Had the unit sent for servicing... and it's as good as new. :laughing:

Anyways... does anyone out there know which is Singapore's 1st cache? As I was down at Alexander to fix my PDA, I saw 3 nearby caches and one of them named "Hidden Beauty Spot" seemed like the answer. Can any one verify? If so.... the last event at Makan sutra was SGC's 5yrs anniversary. :blink:

Great stuff Fkuan, glad to hear that your PDA has been returned to you and the Geocaching game is back on.

Thanks again for arranging the great event in Singapore on our way home a couple of months back.

See ya...Gary and Margaret

Hi!

I'm new to the geocaching scene. Hope to get to know some of the cool people here.

I don't have a GPS receiver, but am just using printouts from google maps to find my way.

After logging more caches, I hope to share with the community some of my favourite hidden spots in Singapore. I have a few ideas up my sleeve already..

Cheers!

Hi!

I'm new to the geocaching scene. Hope to get to know some of the cool people here.

I don't have a GPS receiver, but am just using printouts from google maps to find my way.

After logging more caches, I hope to share with the community some of my favourite hidden spots in Singapore. I have a few ideas up my sleeve already..

Cheers!

Welcome to the GeoCaching community in Singapore.

Yup.. seen your finds.. you are certainly doing much better than I do... <_<

Hi!

Cheers!

You are doing VERY WELL indeed! Google maps at times have deviations by as much as 20m. Suggest you get a GPS... a basic one would probably cost you around 90USD. If you have a PDA... you can also get a Bluetooth GPS receiver, while using your PDA as your navigator. :blink:

Hi!

Cheers!

You are doing VERY WELL indeed! Google maps at times have deviations by as much as 20m. Suggest you get a GPS... a basic one would probably cost you around 90USD. If you have a PDA... you can also get a Bluetooth GPS receiver, while using your PDA as your navigator. :blink:

Thanks! So far the maps have pointed me to within 5 metres from the cache, so I'll see how many I can find this way. Printer ink is expensive though and I think I'll have to get a GPSr sometime.. but not yet! :(

Hi Helicraz. Thanks for the encouragement. <_<

I have some questions that I hope someone can answer:

1. Anyone knows where I can go for a list of the best geocaches in Singapore? Shouldn't someone post a list so that new geocachers can be 'introduced' to the best and most interesting caches? Choosing from over a hundred is sometimes a little hit and miss.

2. About placing my own cache, I want to ask about the element of danger. If suppose a waypoint brings you near a cliff, and you give a clear warning and set it as a high difficulty - would that be acceptable?

Thanks!

Hi Helicraz. Thanks for the encouragement. :huh:

1. Anyone knows where I can go for a list of the best geocaches in Singapore? Shouldn't someone post a list so that new geocachers can be 'introduced' to the best and most interesting caches? Choosing from over a hundred is sometimes a little hit and miss.

2. About placing my own cache, I want to ask about the element of danger. If suppose a waypoint brings you near a cliff, and you give a clear warning and set it as a high difficulty - would that be acceptable?

Thanks!

There is this notification alert thing that you can subscribe to as a premium member. With it, you will get notifiied for any cache found... I find it useful as it is easier to find a cache that is recently receive more traffic...

There are various filters you can set (to get alerts) after being a premium member, .. ;-)

Cannot comment much about placing a cache.. as I only placed a very simple hide so far, but I think it don't get much traffic because it is a multi-cache....

Hi, sirhcoey,

Welcome to the game. There are no Oscars of geocaches because, as you will soon learn, you will want to do all of them. Sooner or later, you'll run out of caches to find in Singapore. All of them have their own merits - adventure, brain-teaser, tricky hides, interesting spot you'd wouldn't hv visited otherwise, place where TBs can hitch a ride to other countries, etc.

How to tackle them? It depends. Sometimes we set aside a whole day to cover all the caches in one area; at other times, we look for them because we happen to be in the area. It also depends on your mood. If you want to make yourself feel good after days of DNF, you may want to go for the "easy" ones, if you feel like a good workout, you'd do the ones that require a lot of walking.

On hiding a cache, we'd really recommend you get a GPSr first. Why? Because GC-ers can be very fussy about accuracy. It would be worse if you hide the cache in a hard to access place with just approximate coordinates. Nobody appreciates going on a wild goose chase and may avoid your cache altogether. We have found caches that are right where the GPSr said they would be and their owners get two thumbs up from us!

On placing a cache in a dangerous place: Well, let's just say you shouldn't complain if your cache is poorly visited.

Hi Helicraz. Thanks for the encouragement. :huh:

Thanks!

On hiding a cache, we'd really recommend you get a GPSr first. Why? Because GC-ers can be very fussy about accuracy. It would be worse if you hide the cache in a hard to access place with just approximate coordinates. Nobody appreciates going on a wild goose chase and may avoid your cache altogether. We have found caches that are right where the GPSr said they would be and their owners get two thumbs up from us!

imho, the accuracy of the co-ordinates can alter the enjoyment of the search and 'make or break' a cache. while we can all accept some degree of variance, an accurate reading is very much appreciated.

Hi Singapore Cachers,

I will be on a 3 day stopover on my way to Australia in late May.

Looking for a few pointers.

I am traveling with the whole of my family..

Me, my wife, my 9yr old son and 13yr old daughter.

I have visited Singapore twice before on business so I know the general layout of the CBD and have visited the Night Safari and Sentosa on both previous trips.

I am looking fro suggestions of suitable high quality caches to do whilst bearing in mind that although my son is a cacher niether of the girls care for it at all...in fact the wife hates it with a passion. :(

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Parkview. So I have earmarked Presidents palace for a starter.

The virtual on Sentosa I can get away with without even declaring it to the Mrs. :(

I have a car booked for one whole day and intend to travel up to Bukit Timah 1.

Any more I shouldn't miss...please avoid complex multi's and puzzles as I can't have people standing about for ages whilst I keep keying in coords etc.

Many thanks

Dave

I am looking fro suggestions of suitable high quality caches to do whilst bearing in mind that although my son is a cacher niether of the girls care for it at all...in fact the wife hates it with a passion. :wub:

Any more I shouldn't miss...please avoid complex multi's and puzzles as I can't have people standing about for ages whilst I keep keying in coords etc.

Hi Dave,

Thought we should give others a chance to reply first, but guess they're all too busy with Chinese New Year! So here's our 2 cents' worth....

President's Palace is a good one to start with and you will even get to see the Istana (which is just across the street). Just look out for the Poggles ("men-in-blue") when you get the clues.

There are THREE caches on Sentosa - aren't you going to try them ALL ?? :wub:

Around the Orchard Road area are :

Emily Rose - it's nearby and in a nice quiet park. There's a Hangout Hotel nearby with the best little restaurant called Wild Rocket (check out their website) with great Chocolate Fondant...

Sculpture Square (by metrohomme) - easy one except for muggles.

No Looking Back - easy one done inside aircon comfort and your bored kid can go read books while u look for the clues.

The Two Old Trees (by thsalbert) - near Little India, another touristy spot.

Santa Klutz - on the other side of Orchard Road but still in town - a cache frequented by overseas cachers, it's becoming a little TB hotel.

If you have time :

The Story of a Migrant (by metrohomme) - is a great one for sightseeing around the Chinatown area.

Up and Out (by Spa Susi and Javamama) - It's a 2-part cache but if you want to see some creative caches, this is it!

It's a pity you don't want to try the multi's because we highly recommend "Shaken, not Stirred". Very creative hiding again (by Spa Susi and Javamama) and a really pleasant area to visit. The first clue might stump you already although it is very near Orchard Road!! One of the waypoints of this multi is actually a quaint little restaurant where your wife can sit and have a drink while you continue with your quest!!

PLUS, our very own "P.S. I Love You" is in the same area!

OK.. Now for Bukit Timah. It's great that you are trying some of our 'jungle' caches. Too few overseas cachers have time for them and they are really fun! Do bring LOTS of mozzie repellent though. And strong shoes in case it gets muddy if it rains.

If you are doing Bukit Timah 1, you must do

- Cache in, Cash out

- Bukit Timah 2

And also, you may attempt "I thought I saw a crocodile" is a super fun & creative cache again.

"ESCAPE From The Jungle" is also easy to get to and very creative cache. "End of the Woods" is not far from there.

You probably noticed by now that whenever I say "creative cache", they refer to Spa Susi/Javamama caches.

If you want an easy grab and go cache, "Safety Inside" is the one.

Should I recommend another restaurant again?? haha.. What's geocaching without food, right? :wub:

It's just a short drive, very near Safety Inside. Here are the approx coords to Galbiati Italian Deli - N01° 21.463 E103° 46.061

AND FINALLY.... you really should download the routable malsingmaps (http://www.malsingmaps.com) mentioned in some of the previous posts. It will really help in navigation because all the nature trails are marked in detail.

Hmmmm... I see you have an ENIGMA cache!!! Sooo... rubberdad's "Puzzle In, Game Out! " shouldn't be too hard for you!! I'm sure you can handle the cryptic crossword in a breeze. :rolleyes: It's a very fun but challenging multi but you can work on the codes at home before coming here.

Have Fun !

IndianaJanes (Viv & Mag)

Edited by IndianaJanes

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a while but would like to get started with Geocaching now.

Was wondering if anyone knows the price of a Garmin Etrex?

Try going over to malsingmaps.com 's wiki. There is an article there listing the latest prices of various stores in Singapore. You can download the free Singapore map there too.

I am looking fro suggestions of suitable high quality caches to do whilst bearing in mind that although my son is a cacher niether of the girls care for it at all...in fact the wife hates it with a passion. :P

Hi Dave,

Thought we should give others a chance to reply first, but guess they're all too busy with Chinese New Year! So here's our 2 cents' worth....

President's Palace is a good one to start with and you will even get to see the Istana (which is just across the street). Just look out for the Poggles ("men-in-blue") when you get the clues.

There are THREE caches on Sentosa - aren't you going to try them ALL ?? :P

Around the Orchard Road area are :

Emily Rose - it's nearby and in a nice quiet park. There's a Hangout Hotel nearby with the best little restaurant called Wild Rocket (check out their website) with great Chocolate Fondant...

Sculpture Square (by metrohomme) - easy one except for muggles.

No Looking Back - easy one done inside aircon comfort and your bored kid can go read books while u look for the clues.

The Two Old Trees (by thsalbert) - near Little India, another touristy spot.

Santa Klutz - on the other side of Orchard Road but still in town - a cache frequented by overseas cachers, it's becoming a little TB hotel.

If you have time :

The Story of a Migrant (by metrohomme) - is a great one for sightseeing around the Chinatown area.

Up and Out (by Spa Susi and Javamama) - It's a 2-part cache but if you want to see some creative caches, this is it!

It's a pity you don't want to try the multi's because we highly recommend "Shaken, not Stirred". Very creative hiding again (by Spa Susi and Javamama) and a really pleasant area to visit. The first clue might stump you already although it is very near Orchard Road!! One of the waypoints of this multi is actually a quaint little restaurant where your wife can sit and have a drink while you continue with your quest!!

PLUS, our very own "P.S. I Love You" is in the same area!

OK.. Now for Bukit Timah. It's great that you are trying some of our 'jungle' caches. Too few overseas cachers have time for them and they are really fun! Do bring LOTS of mozzie repellent though. And strong shoes in case it gets muddy if it rains.

If you are doing Bukit Timah 1, you must do

- Cache in, Cash out

- Bukit Timah 2

And also, you may attempt "I thought I saw a crocodile" is a super fun & creative cache again.

"ESCAPE From The Jungle" is also easy to get to and very creative cache. "End of the Woods" is not far from there.

You probably noticed by now that whenever I say "creative cache", they refer to Spa Susi/Javamama caches.

If you want an easy grab and go cache, "Safety Inside" is the one.

Should I recommend another restaurant again?? haha.. What's geocaching without food, right? :cry:

It's just a short drive, very near Safety Inside. Here are the approx coords to Galbiati Italian Deli - N01° 21.463 E103° 46.061

AND FINALLY.... you really should download the routable malsingmaps (http://www.malsingmaps.com) mentioned in some of the previous posts. It will really help in navigation because all the nature trails are marked in detail.

Hmmmm... I see you have an ENIGMA cache!!! Sooo... rubberdad's "Puzzle In, Game Out! " shouldn't be too hard for you!! I'm sure you can handle the cryptic crossword in a breeze. :P It's a very fun but challenging multi but you can work on the codes at home before coming here.

Have Fun !

IndianaJanes (Viv & Mag)

OK thanks for all the info.

I will be really quite restricted for caching time but I do hope to do at least the 3 Sentosa caches and Presidents Palace... Anything beyond that will be a bonus.

I am interested in doing The Tree Tops Walk which I believe is about 9km 5.5M.

How strenuous is this?

Are zny of the caches that you recomended actually on the trail?

I hav registered on Malsingmaps website but so far have not received a password so I can't download the map

:D

Is this normal...72 hrs+ or should I register again?

Cheers

Dave

I am interested in doing The Tree Tops Walk which I believe is about 9km 5.5M.

How strenuous is this?

Are zny of the caches that you recomended actually on the trail?

mapsingmaps - dunno... check with them? register again? Do what you can to get the maps!! :laughing:

No, not the caches I mentioned - those are in the Bukit Timah area (which you indicated earlier).

The HSBC TreeTop Walk is in the MacRitchie area - although it is connected to Bukit Timah, they are pretty far apart, especially if you are strapped for time. The trail is not hard (can get a little muddy but very clear trails and quite level) but be prepared to sweat it out as it will be warmer and more humid than UK definitely! Bring lots of water and some snacks (mars bars?) but you can refill your water bottle at the Ranger Station at MacRitchie. Just be careful of monkeys (who have no social graces whatsoever) and would run and snatch your stuff if they hear rustling plastic bags!

The HSBC TreeTop Walk is nearest to the carpark at Venus Drive, off Upper Thomson Road. The distance to the entrance of the TreeTop Walk is approximately 2.5 km (45 mins - 1 hr walk) from there. A round trip including the TreeTop Walk is about 7 to 10 km (3-5 hours depending on your walking pace). If you include geocaching, then it's going to take longer.

You can get the hiking route and a map of MacRitchie from here :

http://www.nparks.gov.sg/nature_central_treetops.asp

It's definitely recommended and YES, there are caches around! They are not along the route to the Tree Top Walk but it's near enough. The best one being Yamash!ta's Gold (GCQV38). It is challenging I must warn you, but fun! A very easy one is Tower View Ext (GCWH7T). I won't recommend the harder and more challenging multi "A Walk Through the Woods" but it's there...

Water, Mozzie repellent, long pants, sturdy shoes, stick.

Edited by IndianaJanes

G'day

Visiting Singapore for a quick visit over the weekend. Will be here mainly for work (teaching) but hope to get maybe three hours in geocaching/walking Saturday morning.

Would like to visit a reserve (walk trails) and maybe do a few caches (not micros) in the reserve. Any suggestions?

I will be staying in Coleman Street (near the Raffles) so ideas on getting to the reserve and back would be appreciated as well.

Finally will have a few coins with me for possible release.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Hi, aushiker

Hope you have a good trip to singapore!

3 hours - does that include travelling time? Cos travelling to and from town would take a good 2 hours by public transport!

You can start searching on geocaching google maps with I thought I saw a crocodile (GCY5BQ) and see which caches suit you best. Easily accessible ones which are a short hike from main roads that buses ply are Quarry's End and Rock Climbing Cave.

We're not sure what bus service goes there but you can ask hotel staff for directions to the Rail Mall along Upper Bukit Timah Road. Or take a cab.

Then again, there are lots of urban caches within walking distance of your hotel, mostly micros tho.

Good luck!

G'day

Visiting Singapore for a quick visit over the weekend. Will be here mainly for work (teaching) but hope to get maybe three hours in geocaching/walking Saturday morning.

Would like to visit a reserve (walk trails) and maybe do a few caches (not micros) in the reserve. Any suggestions?

I will be staying in Coleman Street (near the Raffles) so ideas on getting to the reserve and back would be appreciated as well.

Finally will have a few coins with me for possible release.

Thanks in advance

Andrew