Singapore Geocachers

chengsing

Greetings to all Singapore cachers.

We are visited your island in November on our way home “New Zealand” and was wondering some things?

Are snakes a big problem in the Jungles? Do you have any dangerous ones? How can we avoid them while caching?

Also what do recommend as a good TB Hotel near Orchid Road, we have some bugs that need to be left somewhere?

Thanks, if there are any events while we are in town maybe we will meet some of you.

Gary and Margaret

:anitongue:<_<:(:D:o

Hi, Gary & Margaret,

There are snakes in the jungle, but encounters with them are very infrequent :D . In fact, only 1 geocacher seems to see them more often than others. We saw one only once - a rainbow snake, but it was simply slithering to the other side of the path. Just make sure you have a stick/trekking pole handy instead of using your hand to poke into holes in case there are sssssnooozing sssnakes. Among the dangerous ones is the cobra, but one hasn't crossed our path yet!

Orchard Road is muggle country :D , so many cache containers in the area are small. We have one called Santa Klutz, which sees quite a bit of tourist traffic. There are a few in the Esplanade/Civic District area, all small except for Night Catch. I guess you can do a "nearby caches" search from these starting points.

Have fun and welcome to the land of 4 million smiles :D:anitongue:<_< (as promoted by the IMF/World Bank organisers) and moe than 160 geocaches!

IndianaJanes

Greetings to all Singapore cachers.

We are visited your island in November on our way home “New Zealand” and was wondering some things?

Are snakes a big problem in the Jungles? Do you have any dangerous ones? How can we avoid them while caching?

Also what do recommend as a good TB Hotel near Orchid Road, we have some bugs that need to be left somewhere?

Thanks, if there are any events while we are in town maybe we will meet some of you.

Gary and Margaret

:D:o:(:):D

Snakes dont like geocachers so they generally avoid us , however due to the fact they have no legs they need time to move out of your way, so give them a break. Let them know you are approaching by making some noise and move slower then them.

Apply geocaching rule number 151 section N. use a stick instead of hand or fingers.

IMHO

Nice TB hotel is Definitely-Santa Klutz by IndianaJanes (GCRPPD)

Maybe -Up and Out by Javamama and Spa Susi (GCTY0H)

Good Possibility-Emily Rose by IndianaJanes (GCT7A6)

Maybe-Sculpture Square by metrohomme (GCRZ0A)

Other cache for a unforgettable experience and …

If you love hiking and ghost -Yamas***a's Gold by Spa Susi (GCQV38)

If you love being crazy-Cliffhanger (Tidal Cache) by bochupda & metrohomme (GCXYR8)

If you have the time and want to get crazy-Shaken, not Stirred. by A Spa Susi and Javamama Geo Secret Agent Mission (GCY0AP)

If you want to see postcard view of Singapore-Esplanade Park by TheBengZ (GCRJF3)

If you want a good historical walk of Singapore-The Story of a Migrant by metrohomme (GCT7EQ)

If you want to stay indoor all the time and make all Singapore cachers envy -Contact by wherever (GCY6PM)

Enjoy your hunt, text me if you need "help"

Sps Susi

P/s

Mosquito is more dangerous than snakes. Throw out your Deodorant, Mosquito repellent is A Must .

Well! That reminds me... If you're brave and decide to try "Shaken, not Stirred" (GCY0AP), why not kill 2 geocaches with 1 trip and also try "P.S. I Love You" (GCXV68). :anitongue:

Jungle caches are fun becos u'll be seeing a part of Singapore that most tourists would not see! So go for it! I really like Yamash!ta's Gold (GCQV38), plus Tower View Ext (GCWH7T) is closeby.

And if you find Contact, please contact us! <_<

Have a fun trip, Gary and Margaret!

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions, I don't feel so bad now about going into the jungle Now :laughing:

If any events are on at the end of November, drop me a line and I will come along with a bag full of TB's. I would arrange one myself, but wouldn't know which locations are any good.

If you see a couple of Kiwis looking confused in the Jungle, don't worry its probably just us..

See ya later...Gary

Hey KiwiGary,

First I gotta say I love your avatar. Spa Susi and I found that figurine in a cache on our trip to South Island. It reminded me of how Spa Susi looks when she's following me on the trail so we kept it.

If you're looking for jungle walks another fabulous day out is the Woodcutter Trail. You can do Morning Forest walk and Morning Forrest Walk 2 by thsalbert and keep walking to Susi's House and Decoy Cache on the far end of the trail. This is jungle trekking at it's finest and a side of Singapore that most tourists never see. If you're need detailed instructions on how to find the starting point and how to get back after you exit the trail let me know. If you're keen to do some jungle trekking, but feeling uncomfortable going out alone, let me and Spa Susi know. Now that we've found almost all of the caches in Singapore we're back to trekking on the weekends. We'd be happy to give you a taste of the jungle if we're in town when you're here.

If you're Garmin users there's an excellent free map that you can download for Singapore. It's routable and very useful for giving cab drivers directions when they don't have a clue where you're trying to get to. It also shows a lot of Singapore trails that you won't find on any other maps. It's really awesome.

We're long overdue for a Singapore cache event. I'll consult with Spa Susi, Indiana Janes and some of the other local cachers to see if we can put something together.

Javamama

If you're Garmin users there's an excellent free map that you can download for Singapore. It's routable and very useful for giving cab drivers directions when they don't have a clue where you're trying to get to. Javamama

G'day

Would be interested in this as hope to get back to Singapore in the near future. Can you provide a link to same?

Thanks

Andrew

If you're Garmin users there's an excellent free map that you can download for Singapore. It's routable and very useful for giving cab drivers directions when they don't have a clue where you're trying to get to. Javamama

G'day

Would be interested in this as hope to get back to Singapore in the near future. Can you provide a link to same?

Thanks

Andrew

I believe she's referring to malsingmaps (http://www.malsingmaps.com).

Includes routable maps of Singapore and Malaysia, and it's free!

Hey KiwiGary,

First I gotta say I love your avatar. Spa Susi and I found that figurine in a cache on our trip to South Island. It reminded me of how Spa Susi looks when she's following me on the trail so we kept it.

If you're looking for jungle walks another fabulous day out is the Woodcutter Trail. You can do Morning Forest walk and Morning Forrest Walk 2 by thsalbert and keep walking to Susi's House and Decoy Cache on the far end of the trail. This is jungle trekking at it's finest and a side of Singapore that most tourists never see. If you're need detailed instructions on how to find the starting point and how to get back after you exit the trail let me know. If you're keen to do some jungle trekking, but feeling uncomfortable going out alone, let me and Spa Susi know. Now that we've found almost all of the caches in Singapore we're back to trekking on the weekends. We'd be happy to give you a taste of the jungle if we're in town when you're here.

If you're Garmin users there's an excellent free map that you can download for Singapore. It's routable and very useful for giving cab drivers directions when they don't have a clue where you're trying to get to. It also shows a lot of Singapore trails that you won't find on any other maps. It's really awesome.

We're long overdue for a Singapore cache event. I'll consult with Spa Susi, Indiana Janes and some of the other local cachers to see if we can put something together.

Javamama

Thanks Guys, that would be great I will send you an email.

The avatar is from a cache we did in Nelson at the top of the South Island, so it could have been from the same cacher? Wow that is strange that you guys found one as well. Perhaps its someones sig item?

Yes those maps are really handy, I will be loading those onto my GPS for sure.

I will look out for any new events in town...See ya...Gary and Margaret

Hello Singocachers . Why are we waiting ? are we all sitting in front of computer getting croxx eyes and frozen shoulder trying to solve "desk top" puzzle. :D (no offence to yr cache ,whatever, but i want to contact mother earth. Ive had it trying to contact em, GD Aliens. FGS lets get some good old outdoor catchers going!

A nice walk in the park, a roll in the mud , a sit by the stream kinda cache. My skin is having mozi repellent withdrawal symptoms. My geoeyes are fading. ;) My weekend is filled by sitting by poolside having beer. ;) Help. I want to be normal again.

Hi Guys

We will be in Singapore for a week in January. We were wondering if there is a digital map of

the island that we can use in OziExplorer. We are aware of the Garmin maps at malsingmaps

but I have not found a decent map to use with Oziexplorer

Zensunni (Anne & Ken ) and Scytale ( Matt )

Hi Guys

We will be in Singapore for a week in January. We were wondering if there is a digital map of

the island that we can use in OziExplorer. We are aware of the Garmin maps at malsingmaps

but I have not found a decent map to use with Oziexplorer

Zensunni (Anne & Ken ) and Scytale ( Matt )

Hi,

Did you try using CGPSMAPPER to convert the Garmin to OziExplorer maps? Not sure if that will work for you.

Cheers, Adrian

Peek in the past, dwell in the present... π

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions, I don't feel so bad now about going into the jungle Now :laughing:

If any events are on at the end of November, drop me a line and I will come along with a bag full of TB's. I would arrange one myself, but wouldn't know which locations are any good.

If you see a couple of Kiwis looking confused in the Jungle, don't worry its probably just us..

See ya later...Gary

Hey,

maybe you could list it down you be in SG from what date and stuff?

See ya later...Gary

Hey,

maybe you could list it down you be in SG from what date and stuff?

Howdy,

I will send you an email with the dates, we are looking forward to re-visiting Singapore.

Picked up a Green Jeep last night, so I will try and find a cache large enough to place it into in for all you Singapore cachers.

See ya...Gary

Howdy,

I will send you an email with the dates, we are looking forward to re-visiting Singapore.

Picked up a Green Jeep last night, so I will try and find a cache large enough to place it into in for all you Singapore cachers.

See ya...Gary

Hello!

yup received your mail.. just post here or mail any of us if need any help.. i am sure we could do something about it.. :o

Hello there,

I have recently moved from London to Singapore and am keen to start Geocaching again.

I started Geocaching in South Africa and really enjoyed the off the beaten tracks ones there. London was also fun but I mostly enjoyed the ones out in the countryside.

Someone has told me that I need a licence to use my GPSr here in Singapore. Could anyone confirm if this is true please? :P

I am trying to get hold of an Ordinance Survey map to help me get around - I will try the bookshops on Orchard Road tonight.

Anyway I thought I would introduce myse;f and say Hello.

DragonLass

Hello there,

I have recently moved from London to Singapore and am keen to start Geocaching again.

I started Geocaching in South Africa and really enjoyed the off the beaten tracks ones there. London was also fun but I mostly enjoyed the ones out in the countryside.

Someone has told me that I need a licence to use my GPSr here in Singapore. Could anyone confirm if this is true please? :P

I am trying to get hold of an Ordinance Survey map to help me get around - I will try the bookshops on Orchard Road tonight.

Anyway I thought I would introduce myse;f and say Hello.

DragonLass

hi there!

singapore is known for its strict laws but i can reassure you that you do not need a licence to operate your GPSr here.

not quite sure which kind of ordinance survey maps you are referring to, but a general street directory is good enough to get you around - this ain't really a big place.

Thanks for your replies. I did wonder if it was true about the GPSr! I think it may have more to do with my sister wanting to stop me 'playing' this 'silly' game over here! But thats not going to happen! A street Directory sounds good. I lived here as a child but of course it has changed quite a bit since then!!!!!

Seeing as Tuesday is a public holiday I think I might hit the streets then!

The malsingmaps are good for Singapore. They're quite updated and even show TRAILS in the jungle - that's the best part abt it. There's also www.streetdirectory.com if u're the surfing type.

It's definitely going to get you re-acquainted with Singapore. Since we picked up this (obsessive) hobby, we have seen parts of Singapore WE never knew existed! Really exciting.

The weekend is coming! Why wait for Tuesday?? .... watch out for muggles :P

Hey guys,

I've just got back to Singapore and have some coins, 2006 jeep TB and other TBs to share. How about an event? Otherwise I'll be sticking all the goodies into a cache.... <_< Any recommendation which cache I should stick them in?

PS: also have about 9 unactivated TB tags as well.

i am thinking of a possible get-together session maybe early dec or something actually...

but not sure if response would be good...

any comment guys?

Please go ahead and organise an event. Must have geocaching involved ahh..!!

:laughing::o:(

Any recommendation which cache I should stick them in?

It's really up to u... depends on the goal of the TB. Caches tend to be quite small here, so got to see which ones can fit your TB's. U need to judge for yourself, based on the frequency of finds and the safety factor.

Edited by IndianaJanes

greetings..

i am thinking of a possible get-together session maybe early dec or something actually...

but not sure if response would be good...

any comment guys?

That would be great, we will be in town for a week after Nov 29, would be great to meet some fellow Cachers and we could also drop off some TB's and pick up any that need to go to New Zealand or Oz.

Still have a green jeep for you guys in Singapore to drive around your caches :laughing:

See ya...Gary

That would be great, we will be in town for a week after Nov 29, would be great to meet some fellow Cachers and we could also drop off some TB's and pick up any that need to go to New Zealand or Oz.

Still have a green jeep for you guys in Singapore to drive around your caches :)

See ya...Gary

Greetings!

i am currently looking at perhaps 2nd Dec a Sat for a dinner now...

As for geocaching events.. i am not exactly sure if can add an event in and ask everybody to attend...

anybody has any experience?

or we find a place with cache and meet at that location? using that cache as a drop off point or something..

need more suggestions and advise :unsure:

Still have a green jeep for you guys in Singapore to drive around your caches <_<

See ya...Gary

Greetings!

As for geocaching events.. i am not exactly sure if can add an event in and ask everybody to attend...

or we find a place with cache and meet at that location? using that cache as a drop off point or something..

need more suggestions and advise :unsure:

The best method is find a nice venue that either serves drinks or food, and then set up an event page on Geocaching.com with the co-ordinates on the venue.

Change the placed date to the date of the event, and its also a good idea to tell the venue the estimated number of people that will attend.

As in Waynes World, if you book it people will come along :rolleyes:

I don't mind setting up the cache page if you like, but I would need some local knowledge for the location etc.

See ya...Gary

Still have a green jeep for you guys in Singapore to drive around your caches :P

See ya...Gary

Greetings!

need more suggestions and advise :P

The best method is find a nice venue that either serves drinks or food, and then set up an event page on Geocaching.com with the co-ordinates on the venue.

Change the placed date to the date of the event, and its also a good idea to tell the venue the estimated number of people that will attend.

As in Waynes World, if you book it people will come along :P

I don't mind setting up the cache page if you like, but I would need some local knowledge for the location etc.

See ya...Gary

Back in Alabama, they have a monthly AGA meet where all the cachers meet. So basically each cacher will take turn choosing a place to eat and everyone will just turn up. Its fun and its an opportunity for friends to catch up and talk about anything under the sun... cache or non-cache related. We'll even bring TBs and Coins to share and move along.

In any case, if its gonna be on 2nd Dec, you can be sure I'll be there! I've got a bunch of coins and TB to unload / Share!

talking about having additional GC activities during the event... several cachers will also contribute new FTF caches around the vicinity of the event... Alternatively, event caches may also be setup.... however there has been increasing debates on whether logging event caches is acceptable. So if you're into the numbers.... FTF caches will be appropriate. Otherwise, its always fun to have event caches...

many thanks for the input guys!

as for the location, would it have to be a outdoor location where there can have GPSr signals or indoor one?

No it doesn't have to be inside, but somewhere that could be found with GPS. I usually have the co-ordinates for the parking or near the front door.

See ya...Gary

Hi all Singapore Cachers,

We are heading your way soon (as you may know if you read this thread :unsure: ), and were wondering if anyone can help us get the price for a Garmin GPS Model 60CSx.

Just wondering if it would be cheaper buying it in Singapore or in New Zealand.

There are $1137 Singapore dollars in New Zealand, is that cheaper than in Singapore. If it’s cheaper what is the best location to pick up one at that price?

See ya…Gary and Margaret

We bought ours from the shop below. I just called them to check your model and they quoted $790 (inclusive of GST) and with a 256MB card.

Do you need the coords for Sim Lim Square? :unsure: Guess what? There's a cache there! Checkout Number Mania (GCPWZH)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...68-ffff7b9be6f0

Perfect Watch & Electronics

1, Rochor Canal Rd

#01-36, Sim Lim Square

Singapore 188504

Phone : (65-) 63398638 Fax : (65-) 63397156

Have fun!

Edited by IndianaJanes

Yup!

If i am not wrong he is one of the(or perhaps the only) local distributor that sells garmin gps with local warranty.

Besides simlim square,

You might be able to find cheaper ones(for export version) at simlim tower also.

Do try to bring a local with you just in case of they quoting you skyhigh price..

But generally if you already know your stuff then it would be okay.

Edited by chengsing

Okay, I feel real useless now. I have been in Singapore for 3 weeks and have gone after 4 caches, everyone of them has been a DNF! My old but trusted GPS seems to be having a real problem picking up a constant satellite signal here and bounces all over the place.

I wondered if someone out there would like to help this sad lady regain her dignity and team up for a some caching to help boost my moral? Any advice on how to cope with satellite bounce would be appreciated too.

Many Thanks, DragonLass

Second post.....Is there going to be a get together for Kiwi Gary whilst he is here? I would love to join you if there is. I am trying to meet poeple and don't have a huge amount in common with my sisters friends - they look at me strangely when I tell them about Geocaching and go straight back to talking about Gucci and Prada! Anyone game?

Second post.....Is there going to be a get together for Kiwi Gary whilst he is here? I would love to join you if there is. I am trying to meet poeple and don't have a huge amount in common with my sisters friends - they look at me strangely when I tell them about Geocaching and go straight back to talking about Gucci and Prada! Anyone game?

Hi!

yup for now the date is still going to be set at 2nd dec for a dinner get together session for everybody :unsure:

You sure can chat with the IJs, or java & spasusi about caching.. :mad:

which of the 4 caches you went to? perhaps we could help? :o

I've yet to attempt on any of them... but I'll be more than happy to join you in the search.

Otherwise... if you wish to regain your cache radar... try the East coast caches.... they're pretty good. That's pretty much how I got my radar back after being back for 1mth... [:unsure:]

right.. however from what i last checked some of the east coast caches is missing and i am not sure if it has been replaced.

Possible places for 2nd Dec dinner:

the open air hawker along esplanade (think its called makansutra or something)

eating places along geylang

newton circles

old airport road hawker (kallang area) but currently under renovation, but has a "makeshift" market

east coast hawker centre

liang seah street(near bugis) Kim's place - i need to check if got halal food

still open for suggestions etc... feel free to add in any ideas you guys might have :unsure:

Cheers

right.. however from what i last checked some of the east coast caches is missing and i am not sure if it has been replaced.

Possible places for 2nd Dec dinner:

the open air hawker along esplanade (think its called makansutra or something)

eating places along geylang

newton circles

old airport road hawker (kallang area) but currently under renovation, but has a "makeshift" market

east coast hawker centre

liang seah street(near bugis) Kim's place - i need to check if got halal food

still open for suggestions etc... feel free to add in any ideas you guys might have :mad:

Cheers

My vote is somewhere that is handy to public transport, as we won't have a car while we are in your great city.

Anyone know of a good web site about the the buses in Singapore.

Looking forward to meeting everyone...Gary and Margaret :unsure: