Coin Icons

nielsenc

Does anyone know how the sale of icons work? I (like the rest of the world, it seems) am minting a personal geocoin. I would like it to have its own icon. Is this a purchasable option, or am I relegated to the same old generic 'personal geocoin' caption/logo that everyone else uses? How should I contact Groundspeak to get this process kicked off?

Thanks,

-S.

It's a business, so they could sell the ability to host an icon should the market valuation require it. The issue would be how crowded would the statistics page become if the were to make such a business decision and how much memory would it drain to support same??!! Should be fun to watch this issue as it ages....

Well, someone's gotta go against the grain. The "generic" coin icon is not really generic. The USA coin was the first to use that icon, thus that IS the USA geocoin icon. I see no reason to change it.

.... as long as it doesn't get used for the coins that don't spend a $150 for something else and get defaulted to the "generic" icon :lol:

Excellent point. Maybe there should be a horribly ugly generic icon created for new coins. That'll teach people to pay $1500 for tracking and not spring for a new icon for the low, low cost of $150!

Well, someone's gotta go against the grain. The "generic" coin icon is not really generic. The USA coin was the first to use that icon, thus that IS the USA geocoin icon. I see no reason to change it.

Is that the icon that USA Geocoins designed theselves for their coin or is that one that Groundspeak furnished when there were no other coins to differentiate? Since it seems to be the default icon now for coins that don't have special icons I would think USA geocoins would want it used exclusively for their coins or else create their own, more appropriate (IMO) icon.

I think the current 23.gif should be kept for all USA Geocoin made until 2005. This might add some historical meaning to it.

Starting next year, Groundspeak can create the USA flag icon for the USA Geocoins.

For personal coins, it would be nice to see the GC logo.

I think the current 23.gif should be kept for all USA Geocoin made until 2005. This might add some historical meaning to it.

Starting next year, Groundspeak can create the USA flag icon for the USA Geocoins.

For personal coins, it would be nice to see the GC logo.

That's the best idea I've heard yet.

Just bumping this since there are a few new icons in the works now. :lol:

Icon SP Profile

C'mon C4, gotta lobby GC to correct an egregious error! I just looked at the Icon SP profile, and it's just gotta read "Screw Geocoins", and not "Geo Screw Coins". C'mon GC, that's the ENTIRE point of the original joke, so that's GOT to be how it's listed on the stats page, right? They have to have some sense of humor...especially when they got paid for it.

Write your congressman and tell them you want your "SCREW GEOCOINS"!

C'mon C4, gotta lobby GC to correct an egregious error!  I just looked at the Icon SP profile, and it's just gotta read "Screw Geocoins", and not "Geo Screw Coins".  C'mon GC, that's the ENTIRE point of the original joke, so that's GOT to be how it's listed on the stats page, right?  They have to have some sense of humor...especially when they got paid for it.

Write your congressman and tell them you want your "SCREW GEOCOINS"!

I agree with Yime, we ALL got screwed!

Edited by PaHawkeye