Pins Instead Of Coins

Caching Widow

Wind Witch here. Along with coin designs, I've come up with a few pins I'm going to get made. I'd just like to see if there's enough interest to make it worth while. Below are my first two designs. The San Diego one is very similar to the upcoming GeoCoin and the Bushwacking one was requested by a geoacher. Although in hindsite, I can't remember if Bushwacking is supposed to have a slash through it.

Please let me know what'cha think. I'll only be minting 250 and 100 of these pins.

PLEASE NO ORDER REQUESTS. I WILL HAVE A WEBSITE SET UP ONCE PINS ARE MINTED AND PRICED

I can also design and mint personal pins upon request.

Thanks,

Wind Witch

3ec83f04-8d75-4a73-9231-21b7d820c75b.jpg

587966a2-31b0-48ad-b45a-9ed29ca62c0e.jpg

Edited by Wind Witch

Hee, hee, hee. Are they trackable? You're hilarious. Sure as long as you're wearing it, you'll know where it is.

I think these puppies will retail for between $2-4. I have to get the final figures from the maker. I'll have a Paypal button for those interested and will post links when they're ready to go. I'm making 250 of the San Diego Pins and probably 100 of the bushwhackers...yes, I will eventually spell it correctly on the pin.

Edited by Wind Witch
I think these puppies will retail for about $5. I have to get the final figures from the maker.

Ok, I have a few thoughts here. This is not meant to be negative, just putting my two cents worth in.

$5/pin means they won't be much cheaper than a coin - especially non-trackable ones. If I had my choice between the two, I'd pick a coin.

I could see a market with the geocaching groups. I'm president of the New York Geocaching Organization, and I would think we could sell a few NYGO pins to our members - just like patches or t-shirts or any other logo items.

At $5/pin I doubt people would buy them to leave as trade items, but could be used as FTF prizes. Would be nice if the pin designs were generic enough that they could be used for that purpose.

Guess that's about it. Good luck with this venture.

I was recently up in Yuba Gap, camping at snowflower, and finding my first geocache. I purchased a little pin at the store there to remember my trip by. Today I put it on my backpack. I thought, hey I wonder if anyone is making signature pins? They look much like the coins, only a cacher can put them on their geocaching pack or other carryall to show off all their finds....I think I will have to look into this, the pin could even fit into a film canister....

Wind Witch why not make a few GEOCACHE MILESTONE pins? So far, I don't see anyone making either a coin or pins or whatever to celebrate a geocacher's geocache achievements. Something along the line of 100, 200, 300, etc CACHE found, TRAVEL BUG helped, personal GEOCACHE hidden, or BENCHMARK found. I think you would get some orders from groups to present to their members when they make the mark. It would be almost a badge of honor or merit badges for geocahers to diplay in their knapsacks, hats or on their office table. Just a thought! :P

Wind Witch why not make a few GEOCACHE MILESTONE pins? So far, I don't see anyone making either a coin or pins or whatever to celebrate a geocacher's geocache achievements. Something along the line of 100, 200, 300, etc CACHE found, TRAVEL BUG helped, personal GEOCACHE hidden, or BENCHMARK found. I think you would get some orders from groups to present to their members when they make the mark. It would be almost a badge of honor or merit badges for geocahers to diplay in their knapsacks, hats or on their office table. Just a thought!  :P

Oh really? Then you haven't seen this site have you?

Cachers Milestone Coins

Travel Bug Milestone Coins

Sorry, this isn't from Passing Wind. I forgot to log him out before I replied.

Wind Witch

Thanks for the great ideas. I will definitely be designing some milestone pins.

My San Diego and Bushwhacking pins are scheduled to be delivered by the end of October. I'll release the order page as soon as they arrive.

1" San Diego pins - $3.50 - 250 made

1" Bushwhacking pins - $4 - 100 made

I all likihood I will not be getting any more of these made. I'd like to keep them rare and thus more valuable. Please don't bug me about the price, even the generic, mass produced Geocaching.com pins are going for $3+.

I will also set up a page to order personal and club pins. It maybe possible to get trackable pins as well. I may make the hubbie (Passing Wind) my whipping boy and look into it for me. I'm trying to envision a good design for his pin, which will inevitably be made.

Edited by PassingWind
We don't do Bushwhacking... it's bad for the environment.... we do Bushpushing..... much better for the ecology....

Is there going to be a Bushpushing Pin?

From my experiance the "Bush" Whacks" the geocacher rather than the geocacher whacking the bush........[said while applying neosporin & gauze bandages]

:P:P:P:o:P

BTW, what is Bunderdave?

He's a geocacher here in Utah that is famous for heading straight for the cache no matter what's in between. If he's on a trail and it starts curving away from the direction of the cache, he'll take off across country (bushwacking) heading for the cache. :P

Here's some of his exploits:

Pink Floyd Winter Home - May 30, 2001 by bunkerdave

The Tibble "T" - June 15, 2001 by bunkerdave

Hound's-Tooth Cache - May 10, 2001 & June 10, 2001 by bunkerdave

Winter Quarters - June 20, 2001 by bunkerdave

Sorry, this isn't from Passing Wind. I forgot to log him out before I replied.

Wind Witch

Thanks for the great ideas. I will definitely be designing some milestone pins.

My San Diego and Bushwhacking pins are scheduled to be delivered by the end of October. I'll release the order page as soon as they arrive.

1" San Diego pins - $3.50 - 250 made

1" Bushwhacking pins - $4 - 100 made

I all likihood I will not be getting any more of these made. I'd like to keep them rare and thus more valuable. Please don't bug me about the price, even the generic, mass produced Geocaching.com pins are going for $3+.

I will also set up a page to order personal and club pins. It maybe possible to get trackable pins as well. I may make the hubbie (Passing Wind) my whipping boy and look into it for me. I'm trying to envision a good design for his pin, which will inevitably be made.

I was just wondering who was making your pins...I have been toying with having some pins made as a sig. item and the prices you have listed are much higher than what I was quoted...

Since this is a Pin Thread, we thought it would be interesting to make PINS of the Micro Can we are doing. We just picked up the samples today. These should be ready next week:

6N-00011S1.jpg

Our Pins were a lot more reasonable to produce than the coins. We are targeting them to be under $2.00 a pin.

Hope you enjoy them.

nielsenc

Since this is a Pin Thread, we thought it would be interesting to make PINS of the Micro Can we are doing. We just picked up the samples today. These should be ready next week:

6N-00011S1.jpg

Our Pins were a lot more reasonable to produce than the coins. We are targeting them to be under $2.00 a pin.

Hope you enjoy them.

nielsenc

I like that! How can I get some? These would make good FTF prizes in micros, not that I condone the practice of micro caches. :ph34r:

My pins.

This is just a few.

Way back when I was a tadpole,there were not many coins or caches,except USAgeocoins and sporadic caches.

I wanted to try and keep track of where we went caching.

So I started collecting pins and coins from where I could find them closest to the nearest cache we found.

In no particular order.

Plymouth Rock,Monticello,Camp River Dubois,Magazine Mountian,Petit Jean State Park,The Seargent Floyd Monument,Lewis and Clark Trail,Sacajawea,Smokey The Bear,(States),Illinois,Indians,Massachsetts,New York,Washington D.C.,Virginia,West Virgina,Texas,New Mexico,Arizona,

North Dakota,South Dakota,Montana,Wyoming,Missouri,Arkansas,Iowa,Kansas,Nebraska,and I am probably missing a few,and a few to get.

Oh yea Mexico and Canada,but only benchmarks then, no caches at that time.

We have a few pin trading caches around here as well.

I have also got SPECIAL COINS that are Peace Medals from the Lewis and Clark trail,They have traveled all most the entire route now,I will finish next year with the 2 year Expedition as Lewis and Clark did.

These have also been to the Signature Events across Missouri and Kansas.

I am glad I have taken photo's of them at all these events,It was a once in a lifetime....and there is still time left to get in on the tail end of it at St. Louis next year.And Oregon,Washington and states East along the route.

I hope to have a signature coin by then.

63991441_7f22187cd2_b.jpg

Where can I get one of these?

6N-00011S1.jpg