Girl Scouts Go Geocaching!

AuntieNae

Jacksonville Florida Geocachers!

We are organizing a caching and CITO day for the Beaches Service Unit (Girl Scouts). We are in need of help from other cachers in the area. Most of the girls do not have access to GPS receivers and I only have one.

It is scheduled in early November (with a rain-out date in late November) at a local park. We are expecting between 100 to 200 girls to attend. We are planting caches specifically for this event and staggering the groups as they head out of the base area. There will be tables where we will teach the girls the basics of using the receivers, about muggles, CITO and caring for the environment and the history of caching.

Volunteers are needed assist with the instruction of the troops and to bring receivers so the girls can experience the thrill of tracking down the cache. Some volunteers may be selected to go out with the troops as advisors if the troops run into difficulty finding the caches.

Please contact me at my email address on gmail: shadohart (phrased this way to foil the email skimmers) and let me know you will be able to help us. They are going to learn and it would be great if we taught them proper stealth and caching etiquette.

Thank you!!!!

shadohart

I will be helping out with our Brownie and Junior girlscouts troops for Geocaching Try It Badges and here is the link for the requirements for them to earn there badge.

Let's Go GEO Brownie Try-It Badge And Let's GO GEO Junior Badge

Please go to this link and print out the requirements and hand it to any Girlscout troop leader so the Girls can be on there way to learn about Geocaching.

Edited by River Cacher

I will be helping out with our Brownie and Junior girlscouts troops for Geocaching Try It Badges and here is the link for the requirements for them to earn there badge.

Please go to this link and print out the requirements and hand it to any Girlscout troop leader so the Girls can be on there way to learn about Geocaching.

After completing these requirements, who should we contact to receive the badges?

Boy Scout Troop 8 Hartford, South Dakota :laughing:

Geocaching is more of a guy sport in Dakotas along with hunting. :]

There is no problem with killing little animals

The orientering badge is a huge badge to earn and I haven't even got to the second page yet in 1 day :D Scouting is pretty cool combined with cachin

1,000 finds this summer

After completing these requirements, who should we contact to receive the badges?

Your local troop store can find these for you.

Please let me know if you have any issues

Here is a link to get the Geocaching try it badges.

The site is changing June 1st 2009 and if it does not direct you to the new site please let me know and i will post a new link.

Geocaching Badges for Brownies and Juniors.

I hope to see many of you out there stepping up to teach your local Girlscouts about this wonderful sport.

Please enjoy and contact me if you have any questions, Mike.

Edited by River Cacher

Here is a link to get the Geocaching try it badges.

The site is changing June 1st 2009 and if it does not direct you to the new site please let me know and i will post a new link.

Geocaching Badges for Brownies and Juniors.

I hope to see many of you out there stepping up to teach your local Girlscouts about this wonderful sport.

Please enjoy and contact me if you have any questions, Mike.

I was just asked by a local Girl Scout camp to help set up a cache course at the camp and to teach caching to the girls about Geocaching. You mentioned some time ago in one of your post here that you had a power point about caching and would be adapting it for Scout aged girls, did you ever do that, if so I would love to see it, or perhaps get a copy of it to use at camp.

slamoc (slamoc@verizon.net)

For Girls Scouts- since this is a "councils own" patch-- they need to be ordered directly from the council, the website is gsccny.org . You need to call to order the patches, they are not available for online purchase. As of 3/12/11 they are still available. Not sure if I'm allowed to leave the phone number, but it is on their site.

I was approched by a Girl Scouot Camp Ranger to help set up a Geocaching course at the camp about two years ago. I found some reqiurement from a Council in New York. Two girls as part of their Gold Award developed the requirements for Brownies, Juniors, and Seniors. They also had them approved for a "Councils Own" I guess, I'm a registered Girl Scout Dad, but I don't know much about the awards they can earn.

slamoc

According to the information from the local council, there is going to be a specific geocaching badge as part of the new Girl's Guide for Juniors and Ambassador, and several council have a 'participation patch' for goecaching. Brownies have a letterboxing badge. I'll look for more info.

I am so glad that I found this thread. I was a Girl Scout for 14 years, a camp counselor, a geocacher since 2004 (with a break to get my two girls through their first 4 years), and I am now a co-leader to Daisy Troop #1 here in the Girl Scouts of Southwest Texas Council. We have started geocaching once again and both girls have their own Geocaching names. The oldest goes by Aurora Wolf (she's 6) and the youngest is Nayely Wahya (4). Aurora loves being in Girl Scouts and geocaching, and what better way to bring the two together than to earn a patch to wear proudly.

Thank you for the information. If there are any other geocachers here in TX with a daughter(s) who are in Girl Scouts, I'd love to get in touch with you.

Oh, by the way in my research I found that Boy Scouts do have a merit badge now. The following link gives all the information on how to earn the badge - http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Geocaching

Have fun!

-Wendy

I am taking a girl scout troop out for their first geocache. They are 2nd graders. Does anyone know of a powerpoint on other document that can help explain longitude and latitude and basic geocache concepts.

Please advise!

Thanks

I teach geocaching merit badge for the boy scouts, I have a really great geocaching powerpoint program. Some of it may be too advanced for 1st and 2nd graders. Some if is right on target. Email me and I will send it to you.

My daughters troop asked me to teach a session on Geocaching so that they can earn a Try-it badge. What I do not know is if the badge is specific to Geocaching or under some other catagory.

There is an actual Geo caching badge that can be earned. My daughters troop was looking to earn this one.

Edited by ThePantherPack