Geocaching Makes Usa Today

drat19

interesting, but whats a tchotchkes???

I was slightly concerned at the opening which seemed to imply there are geocaches in that National Park, rather than outside it (apperently?).

:mad: "When I switched on the unit, it locked onto four satellites in geostationary orbit — meaning they appear to hover over one point on the globe — and spat out our elevation (5,288 feet) and our exact location (37 degrees, 26.402 minutes by 119 degrees, 36.237 minutes.)", are there really that many WAAS out these days? :mad:

I was slightly concerned at the opening which seemed to imply there are geocaches in that National Park, rather than outside it (apperently?).

I had the same concern upon first read. I elected to post the link with no comment to see how quickly a respondent would make the same...I was not disappointed. :mad::mad:

-Dave R.

Wish these reporters would check their facts, it's really easy to do.

GPS satellites do not orbit in 'geostationary' orbits at 22,240 miles. According to the U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center*, they orbit with a 12-hour period at 22,200 kilometers, which equates to 10,900 nautical miles.

-Hugh Jazz

*http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/faq/gpsfaq.htm

Edited by Hugh Jazz

GPS satellites do not orbit in 'geostationary' orbits at 22,240 miles. According to the U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center*, they orbit with a 12-hour period at 22,200 kilometers, which equates to 10,900 nautical miles.

-Hugh Jazz

Which for the nautically impaired that equates to 13794 standard miles.

GPS satellites do not orbit in 'geostationary' orbits at 22,240 miles.  According to the U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center*, they orbit with a 12-hour period at 22,200 kilometers, which equates to 10,900 nautical miles.

Or 12543.496004999999 statute miles. :P Still off by a little under 10,000 miles, even if you use statute miles, though.

Ah, back to geocaching. A Nautical Mile is 1/60th of a degree or one minute of latitude, which is why I use nautical measurements in my GPSr. It gives me a bit more understanding of my distance in relation to a cache coordinates. :ph34r:

The article was very nice! I wonder if the hotel sponsored the cache and listed it on GC? I'm too lazy to do a search for caches based on the journalist's coordinates listed in the article. :unsure:

At first I was panicked in the thought of a geocache in the NP. Then I read on, and applauded when he mentioned ending up in a grove of Sequioas not in the Park and not known to many folks. Ah, what a wonderful advertisement for geocaching!

Edited by Jeep_Dog
The article was very nice!  I wonder if the hotel sponsored the cache and listed it on GC?  I'm too lazy to do a search for caches based on the journalist's coordinates listed in the article.   

Thats what I was wondering too... and about those coords. Where they supposed to be where he found a cache? or just where he was when he noticed or ???

Around the town of FishCamp theres only a couple caches, but just north of town theres Welcome to Yosemite. Which seems to be right on the edge of the NP. But if you go with the articales coords, the The Hawksworth Tree is almost right there.

I also noticed that lodges website says (this is not an intented as an advert for this lodge) "Tenaya Lodge is joining the geocaching craze by setting up a "treasure hunt" in the national forest and on its own 35 acre reserve. The Geocaching Hiking Package begins with locating areas with a GPS unit and discovering caches along trails that wind through towering trees, whispering creeks and mountain meadows." So maybe they have a private one set up just for their guests?

Edited by welch

Well it's not quite as impressive as USA today, but geocaching also made this paper.

My brother-in-law the police officer would like for me to request a correction that states "My extremely attractive and intelligent brother-in-law introduced us to the game." So I'll plug his attrativeness and intelligience to all of you. :unsure:

p.s. She left out the fact that she snuck up on me from behind some bushes and scared the bee-jeezus out of me!

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Well it's not quite as impressive as USA today, but geocaching also made this paper.

My brother-in-law the police officer would like for me to request a correction that states "My extremely attractive and intelligent brother-in-law introduced us to the game." So I'll plug his attrativeness and intelligience to all of you. :ph34r:

p.s. She left out the fact that she snuck up on me from behind some bushes and scared the bee-jeezus out of me!

</span></span></span>

Ok, I pictured him as extremely attractive and intelligent. :unsure:

Neat article.

GPS satellites do not orbit in 'geostationary' orbits at 22,240 miles.  According to the U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center*, they orbit with a 12-hour period at 22,200 kilometers, which equates to 10,900 nautical miles.

-Hugh Jazz

Does this really matter, if you are not, in fact, a satellite !

"way up thar and yonder" would even do.....