Electrical Box Caches?

zeus661

Now a LOADED revolver that you ASSuME is unloaded... that's a different story and it happens every day.

Cat's right, always assume the gun is loaded. An unloaded gun is the most dangerous. In the case of my cache in the distroyed elecrtical box, the trigger, firing pin, cylinder, hammer, sights, bullets, gun powder, primer, blueing, hand grip, and all the guts were missing, rusted up and gone forever.

I liken it to this example: I started out riding my bicycle with training wheels and my Dad's help....but I got brave quickly with experience. Soon, I was jumping ramps and going fast down the big hill near my home. Sure, these situations were possibly dangerous, but I was able to and I watched my older brother do the same things. Naturally, I soon learned a BIG lesson about gravity when I tried to jump a slight hill but hadn't the speed to make it all the way up. I hit my head and split it wide open.

That's why I hide all my caches is LIVE electrical boxes, near water.....you know, to keep everyone on their toes.

That way, they never get lazy. No need to thank me.

Hmmm counting lightning strikes, Listen to the cracks? Watch for the sparks flying off whatever it hit? How about looking outside. It's usually pretty safe inside a brick heavily grounded building. The pole on the other hand is not grounded. There is a metal rod sticking in the air attached to the side of a wood pole. Instant lightning rod, and I do appreciate it's being there helping to keep lightning from my equipment. Yes, the pole is rotten, doesn't mean it's not solid. I think I said the box was barely holding on, which it is, not the pole is falling down. Whether a 30 pound rock can blow around or not, there are no rocks larger than a pea on the site of the geocache and I'm not adding any.

The cache in question was approved today.

This does bring up something intersting for the scientists out there, Mike and I have toyed with the idea of a laser lighting magnet on the unused tower for experamentation in charging capacitors and batterys. If you have any Ideas let me know.

You've stated that a large rock (30-40 lbs) wouldn't stay put long (the wind??) and now you state the pole is a lightening magnet...WOW, must be one of the most dangerous locations I've ever heard of!

I find it hard to understand how the building and the pole (which you claim is barely standing to begin with) is even still there if the wind can roll a 30-40 lb rock around...and why have ANYONE visit a lightening magnet? 10 times while you stood inside the building? How close were you to the pole (and more importantly, what kept you from being hit by the lightening)? How could you count the strikes?

Hmmm counting lightning strikes, Listen to the cracks? Watch for the sparks flying off whatever it hit? How about looking outside. It's usually pretty safe inside a brick heavily grounded building. The pole on the other hand is not grounded. There is a metal rod sticking in the air attached to the side of a wood pole. Instant lightning rod, and I do appreciate it's being there helping to keep lightning from my equipment. Yes, the pole is rotten, doesn't mean it's not solid. I think I said the box was barely holding on, which it is, not the pole is falling down. Whether a 30 pound rock can blow around or not, there are no rocks larger than a pea on the site of the geocache and I'm not adding any.

The cache in question was approved today.

My thought is you should be placing rocks of the 30 lb range on the area with motion detecting cameras on them. Winds strong enough to move that big a rock MUST be a scientific oddity and should be investigated. Maybe a camera on the "lightening magnet" would be something too? I've heard of scientists BEGGING for such a location. Forget the cache, make a weather station out of the area and marvel the scientists with this extraordinary location!

THANKS for putting the little "no electric" statement in, good job! Congrats on the cache!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Now a LOADED revolver that you ASSuME is unloaded... that's a different story and it happens every day.

Cat's right, always assume the gun is loaded. An unloaded gun is the most dangerous. In the case of my cache in the distroyed elecrtical box, the trigger, firing pin, cylinder, hammer, sights, bullets, gun powder, primer, blueing, hand grip, and all the guts were missing, rusted up and gone forever.

That's right, people shoot themselves "cleaning their guns" all the time :huh: ...What's the first step in cleaning your weapon? UNLOAD IT! :D

My thought is you should be placing rocks of the 30 lb range on the area with motion detecting cameras on them. Winds strong enough to move that big a rock MUST be a scientific oddity and should be investigated. Maybe a camera on the "lightening magnet" would be something too? I've heard of scientists BEGGING for such a location. Forget the cache, make a weather station out of the area and marvel the scientists with this extraordinary location!

THANKS for putting the little "no electric" statement in, good job! Congrats on the cache!

We tried something like you are saying with the cameras, it's called ATV, Amateur Television. The power consumption was too high and there wasn't enough interest. I have a weather station setting under my bench here especially for the site, it's been under the bench for more than a year.

I think you can go to http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call...f-6&terra=4 and see the position of the cache minus 50 feet or so to the south. If there was a weather station installed it would show all the current stats.

I mean really, It isn't about common sense and who has it or doesn't. I could hide a catch in a field of grass and people could complain it stained the knees on their jeans...

Use YOUR head and teach YOUR CHILDREN.

I am not here to make the world safe for you and your offspring.

If you must take apart lamp posts and various other electrical things in YOUR pursuit of a cache, then YOU and YOUR children are not meant to be.

You could perhaps use some brain power and decide for yourself that "hey... that might be the cache but it looks dangerous so I wont use a saw to open it and I wont allow my brood to also"

I see plenty of "DNF" reports... why not decide to do that instead of trying to dumb down the caching world?

No one is forcing anyone to to find stuff...

Good grief....