Pocket Queries Not Being Sent?

WebbWalkers

Btw... Stale data or not, this looks like a good time to point out to TPTB why maintaining an off-line database such as GSAK is a good thing. No worries on not having the appropriate data on hand for when a hunt becomes available.

I'm not sure how that makes any sense. Sorry. Stale data is stale data.

The fact I have any data at all and not have to depend upon a daily PQ to keep "fresh" does two immediate things. One for you, one for me.

For you, there is less whining about the servers being down when they do go down.

For me, there is less need to whine about the servers being down when they do go down.

I look at it and shrug my shoulders and go back to my itty bitty little database and use the last known info with no worries and no stress. It's updated to within a week and for most intents and purposes, this is good enough.

Currently, monitoring the instant notifications for archivals is resulting between 10-30 messages a week; one per cache archived within a 50 mile radius of a coordinate. Then there's the notificaiton of the unarchival of a cache. Small potatoes for me, as it only takes 1/2 hour per week to go through them all, but the load on the servers will go up per person that will take advantge of that option of the instant notification. If that were included in on the PQ instead, the load is reduced for you, ease of use goes up for me.

Yes it is stale data but it is data that is still usable and handles a historical side of the cache and keeps me off the on-demand server (again) thereby reducing the request load by 2 per person when looking for additional hints in the logs. First to load the page, second to reload the page with all the logs... which can be noted that your servers are providing stale data on demand.

I would see it as a benefit for seasoned users and let the on-demand load belong to the newbies.

Sorry for hijaacking the thread, the first post was merely to point out the advantages rather than the singular perspective of the "stale" disadvantage.

Are the pocket queries running today? I just sent one out and it hasn't returned yet. What are the normal times to expect from submit to recvng the email?

Pocket Queries are running, but I don't see one scheduled for you today. Can you double-check your pocket queries to make sure you have one set up for today?

:P Elias

So have the problems been fixed now? Because I've been trying to run some since the weekend, and have only succedded in getting one.

Other than some late deliveries, PQs have been running. You had 4 scheduled for today that were sent out first thing this morning and were all successfully delivered. Did you not receive them?

:P Elias

I just turned some on to get a resend of some data I needed to tweak from yesterday. The PQ page says that they generated, but I haven't received them (normally that happens with 30 seconds).

Of note, I send them to an AOL account - I wonder if they're throttling Geocaching.com mail again?

So have the problems been fixed now? Because I've been trying to run some since the weekend, and have only succedded in getting one.

Other than some late deliveries, PQs have been running. You had 4 scheduled for today that were sent out first thing this morning and were all successfully delivered. Did you not receive them?

:bad: Elias

Nope. And the reason I had 4 scheduled was I'm attempting different things to make it work. I wonder if my Hotmail may be dumping them straight to the trash. Does anybody know the axact addy that the e-mails come from? I'd like to try adding it to my contact list to see if that works.

I wonder if my Hotmail may be dumping them straight to the trash. Does anybody know the axact addy that the e-mails come from? I'd like to try adding it to my contact list to see if that works.

The from address is: contact at geocaching dot com.

I'll send you a PM with this morning's log entries so you can followup with Hotmail.

I also noticed you had another one sent to a different email address. Did you get that one?

I wonder if my Hotmail may be dumping them straight to the trash. Does anybody know the axact addy that the e-mails come from? I'd like to try adding it to my contact list to see if that works.

I'll send you a PM with this morning's log entries so you can followup with Hotmail.

I also noticed you had another one sent to a different email address. Did you get that one?

Yeah, I tried that a bit ago, sent one to my wife's e-mail with excite. Of course, I got it.... :D so now I have added the email addy to my contact list and have set up the main query I want to run again tommorrow. We'll see what happens tonight. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what happens.

:D Elias

Yeah, I tried that a bit ago, sent one to my wife's e-mail with excite. Of course, I got it.... :) so now I have added the email addy to my contact list and have set up the main query I want to run again tommorrow. We'll see what happens tonight. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what happens.

Ok folks, adding the geocaching addy to my contact list in Hotmail seems to have done it. I checked my e-mail a bit ago and there it is. It figures.

Elias, I did get your PM, but since I'm not much of a 'puter wizard, I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to do with it. All that stuff looks like greek to me.... lol. Thanks for the effort though.

Now, if Hotmail does it again (which I don't think it should, since I added the email addy to my contact list AND safe list), I'll have to try to remember what my ISP email is set up as. UGH.

Thanks again!