Newbie - Finding A Jeep Tb

mcvickoffroad

Hi, Newbie to Geocaching and see the Jeep TB's all over the website and visited the Jeep site as well.

How can I tell which caches have could have a Jeep TB in them?

I am seeing two different icons next to cache listings -- a white Jeep and a Yellow Jeep. What do these mean?

Is there a way to search for caches that potentially have Jeep TB's in my area?

Thanks

Brian

I am seeing two different icons next to cache listings -- a white Jeep and a Yellow Jeep. What do these mean?

It means that one is white and the other is yellow?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

As mentioned before, the Yellow jeep is from last year's contest, the White Jeeps are for this year.

Toi find them, many folks setup a Pocket Query to filter for caches near your home that contain travel bugs. The listings are likey wrong and the jeeps are quite elusive. You will need to be willing to do morte thant the otehr guy who wants them and do it sooner. Be prepared for long hikes or difficult roads.

Welcome to the world of geocaching!!! You'll need to be a premium member in order to set up Pocket Queries, which you can download into a palm device to cache paperless. If you are seeing the Jeep icon on the cache page, that means there should be a jeep in the cache. The yellow jeeps are still travelling around, but the contest is over for 2004, the white jeeps are for this year's contest, but make sure you check the rules, and the goals for each month. Only original photos are accepted, no enhancing in any way or your photo will be disqualified. No resizing, lightening it up etc.... Premium membership allows you to sign up for instant notification of new caches also, among other features. $3 month or $30 per year, and that hasn't changed since the beginning.

No travel bug is ever meant to be kept. The key word is travel.

Didn't want to start a new forum for this. But is it accepted practice for people to take the Jeeps after contest is over. I have yet to log a jeep, mostly because the ones near me have logs saying: "No Jeep TB in Cache". Are yellow jeeps dissapearing and will teh same trend continue for white jeeps? Man, I hope to get to log at least one of each. :unsure:

Are yellow jeeps dissapearing and will teh same trend continue for white jeeps? Man, I hope to get to log at least one of each.

I haven't seen a yellow jeep in a long, long time. The white ones are even rarer than the yellow ones. Maybe someday the hoarders will release them back into the public, but it hasn't happened yet...

I released the White Jeep Travel Bug (Tobyn) into the Missouri Headwaters cache (GC493) on September 24th. It's STILL sitting there unclaimed!!!

I released Jeep 4x4 #3793 (no, that isn't the bug tag number it's the bug name - its a Yellow Jeep that has since been painted a HORRIBLE PINK color!) into Chico Airport (GCG0X9) on October 3rd but it was retrieved by another cacher on the 12th. The Yellow Jeeps are still out there traveling. :)

Note: The log by the person who retrieved the "formerly yellow" Jeep says he may paint it yellow again since the pink is so gross. I really hope he does it.

Edited by thrak
Didn't want to start a new forum for this. But is it accepted practice for people to take the Jeeps after contest is over.

It's unfortunately not an uncommon practice (heck, people have been absconding with Jeeps even while the contests are running :(), but personally I hope it doesn't become accepted practice.

One reason I'd hope people keep them circulating is that there's still plenty of cachers who haven't found one yet, and these folks would still have a chance to get a little white/yellow Jeep icon on their profile page. The Jeeps are still useful to other cachers even after the formal contest is over.

The other reason is perhaps just philosophical, but I wouldn't keep anyone's TB, even if the person hasn't logged into the site in years and may have completely dropped out of geocaching. Doesn't matter if it's a McToy TB, a Teenie-Beanie TB, a cinder block TB, whatever - if I pick up a TB, I'm gonna drop it off. For me, that doesn't change merely because it's a Jeep TB. I just don't think it's my judgement call to say "oh, this TB deserves to keep moving, but this other TB isn't worthy - it can spend the rest of its life on my bookshelf". (Yeah, it's a simplistic philosophy, but I'm a simple person.)

Didn't want to start a new forum for this. But is it accepted practice for people to take the Jeeps after contest is over.

It is a common practice, however, cachers are not supposed to keep them.

Thankfully for this year's contest the exact model white jeeps are sold at Walmart for $1.97. After slaving over my October entry for a week, I was not thrilled at the prospect of putting it back out into a cache. So I took the TB tag and placed it onto a brand new white jeep. This way I can keep my artwork and not steal a TB from Jeep.

Are yellow jeeps dissapearing and will teh same trend continue for white jeeps? Man, I hope to get to log at least one of each.

I haven't seen a yellow jeep in a long, long time. The white ones are even rarer than the yellow ones. Maybe someday the hoarders will release them back into the public, but it hasn't happened yet...

I have white Jeeps in two of my caches right now. They have been sitting idle for a combined 12 weeks or so. Both are still in place - I check the caches regularily and see that they remain untouched.

DON'T PANIC: #15 - Heart Of Gold

We've Lost Our Marbles

The last Jeep that I had I picked up from a 1/1 cache after it had sat in there for over 2 weeks without anyone even checking on it. I may or may not opt to pick up a Jeep for the October contest. We havent had any luck so far with our previous submissions.

I got a yellow jeep last week.  It was my first jeep TB.  I was thinking of releasing it locally; but I am going to europe next month.  Should I hold it that long and take it there?

If you were heading out near the beginning of next month, I'd probably say "Go for it". It'd involve holding the TB for three weeks, which is on the long side, but I've seen a number of posts in the forums by European cachers bemoaning the lack of Jeep TBs for them to log. (If I'm remembering correctly, neither of the Jeep contests was valid in Europe, so none of the Jeeps were released overseas at the start of the contests.) I'd expect that many folks "across the pond" would be quite excited by a chance to earn a YJTB icon. On the other hand, if you were heading out towards the end of next month (where you'd have to hold the TB for 6-7 weeks), I'd definitely say just drop it off locally and let it keep moving.

Just my two cents. :ph34r: