Marine Poi Reload For 60cs

TheWiz

I'd like to reload the Marine POI that are now gone after a 60cs version 4.0 load and a 53mb load of maps from version 7.0 City Select N.A. I tried once to reload the marine POI and lost my City Select load of map regions. Did I not leave enough room for the POI when I loaded the 53mb of City Select Maps? I've seen this discussed before by folks who really know and just need a refresh from you if you feel inclined to respond. Thanks for your help

Steve

The Marine POI database is treated as an entire mapset upload. You can either have your City Select mapset or the Marine POI mapset loaded into your GPS unit at any one time. You cannot combine them...it's up to Garmin to distribute the Marine POI database as an individual mapset that you can use in MapSource along with other MapSource products. After years already, I doubt that they'd do this anytime soon. <_<

Folks Who Really Know say...

As usual, the problem here is Garmin's habit of using the same name for three different things.

Thing #1 - The "base" marine POI db v1.0, which is downloaded from this page. The "base" POI cannot co-exist with a Mapsource product such as CS7 - it's one or the other.

Thing #2 is also called "Marine POI database", and it's available (for purchase) on the CD-ROM shown HERE. The marine part of this is similar (might even be the same as) the downloadable Thing #1.

Thing #3 is called Bluechart and is a marine charting system, which includes marine POI. This is the product that Garmin want you to buy, once you realise that you can't have road mapping and "base" POI on the unit at the same time.

-Wlw.

Hi Wiz, I believe you have a choice of either the City Select (or any other Garmin map product in combo) or the Marine POI from what I've read. I have a 60C and can load several mapping types such as Topo/CS and toggle between them, but the Marine POI files will replace any map that may be stored in the unit. The navaid database acts like a "map" in that any uploaded map erases the previous database.

If someone else has better knowledge on this I'm sure they will jump in.

Good feedback folks. Thank you. Along time ago though when I first bought the 60cs unit and was observing everyones' learning curve here, I seem to recall reading where you could enter the unit menu and select "Map Setup" while understanding you could only use **one onboard map resource at a time**...you could while out in the field select from a Topo, or City Select or whatever you purchased and felt inclined to fill up your 56mb of memory with. Is this not right and does this understanding of mine not include field selection of the marine POI?

Thanks again,

Steve

Not to confuse things, but you can download the tide stations for the US into your 60c/s at the same time as City Select , or Topo, or other maps.

Just go to the Dowload page of the Garmin Site, go to the GPSmap 162, or GPSmap 168, and download the Recommended Mapsource US Tides Software. It is not everything that the Marine POI database, but it will give you the tide prediction stations.