Bellingham Cache Machine?

Half-Canadian

Well, as most of you know, the era of Travis-planned Cache Machines has come to a close. I truly enjoyed the opportunity to attend several of these myself, and I know that anyone who had a chance to participate enjoyed the adventure.

The next Cache Machine that Travis had planned was to be held on January 7, 2006, in Bellingham, which just happens to be in my backyard.....sort of <_<

Although nothing will ever take the place of "Official Travis Cache Machines", I thought I'd start a thread to see if there's still interest in continuing these gala events, and if so, shall Bellingham be the trial balloon??

I'm willing to spearhead the plans for a CM in Bellingham if there's interest and support from the geo-community out there to put it together.

Let's roll this one around in the forums for awhile and see where it goes...

H-C

I won't be around to help with the actual machine but will still be accesable through the computer. Since I've done about 90% of the caches there should be able to work on building up the route. I've played around with it alot it S&T and know most of the caches that wouldn't work on a cache machine.

Or..... since there already was a Bellingham cache machine it could move a bit south.... perhaps an Anacortes cache machine?

I won't be around to help with the actual machine but will still be accesable through the computer. Since I've done about 90% of the caches there should be able to work on building up the route. I've played around with it alot it S&T and know most of the caches that wouldn't work on a cache machine.

Or..... since there already was a Bellingham cache machine it could move a bit south.... perhaps an Anacortes cache machine?

That sounds good maybe even out onto the Island. :unsure:

Yeah, I'm for that! I also attended the original Bellingham Cache Machine. By the way the BCH was NOT a TravisL Cache Machine but you never would have known it...it was beautifully set up and run...proof that it can be done!

Yes, yes, yes!  Anacortes sounds great!  I'll admit to being a little apprehensive about driving on icy roads in Bellingham. :unsure:

They don't have icy roads anywhere else... just Bellingham?

:unsure:

It's because the ice sneaks across the border from the Great White North, eh.

It usually only makes it as far as Bellingham before we chase back where it belongs, eh.

I think an Anacortes/Whidbey Island CM would be a fun.

If it ends up In Anacortes or around N Whidbey I am more than willing to help out in one way or another. Some of the caches are mine and the others I have found with the exception of a very few. I know the anacortes community forest land trails well so I can offer advice on the routing. I have the ACFL maps scanned, although it would be better if everyone bought thier own copies :rolleyes:

IMHO, the caches in the Anacortes N Whidbey area would require a great deal of hiking if combined into one swoop. There are some quickies, but I would say that they are in the minority. I am not sure that the same numbers could be acheived here that I have seen in the CM plans for the more poulated areas. But I would love to watch the attempt!

And yes, it is often more icy in Belingham than in Anacortes. If nothing else, that would apply to an early morning drive up I5 through the Chuckanuts.

Edited by soreyes

They don't have icy roads anywhere else... just Bellingham?

It's because the ice sneaks across the border from the Great White North, eh.

It usually only makes it as far as Bellingham before we chase back where it belongs, eh.

It took me a day to respond to this since I was busy clearing a path from my igloo out to the mailbox, eh? :rolleyes:

About once every 5 years or so Bellingham gets hit with an icy blast from the Fraser Canyon that coincides with a warm Chinook rain, causing the roads to ice up. It would be a really unlikely scenario that Bellingham roads would be bad and Anacortes roads would be clear -- not impossible, but in my 35+ years of living in and around Mount Vernon, Bellingham, and points north, I can only remember 2 or 3 times when that has happened.

The other 99% of the time, winter weather in Bellingham is much the same as in Seattle, or Everett, or Ol... Oly...... Olympia :ph34r:

Not enough to change the location, IMHO.

:rolleyes: Well Darn! Mr. WD and I just spent 4 days camping at Birch Bay State Park. We did a ton of caches in and around Bellingham during our stay. I definately think a C.M. is in order though. There are some real fun caches and unique containers. Oh.. and old haunted Fairhaven was a blast!

We have been to some, not all, of the Cache Machines and thoroughly enjoyed them. Especially the social aspect. We would both love to see the tradition carry on.

Another thought... we had as much fun on the Anderson Island Mini Cache Machine as we have on the big ones. There were about 25 caches to be had that day. It was a pleasant pace and just enough time to enjoy the social event at Team Notex's summer home.

I guess what I'm saying is... they don't all have to be BIG C.M.'s.

We have been to some, not all, of the Cache Machines and thoroughly enjoyed them. Especially the social aspect. We would both love to see the tradition carry on.

I was already planning to do most of the work on the spring 2006 cache machine in Longview (actually from Longview to Portland via Hwy 30) and the fall one in Grays Harbor. Since Travis is stepping down I'll plan those unless someone else wants to take them on. Can't let the tradition die. At least for another year.

I was already planning to do most of the work on the spring 2006 cache machine in Longview (actually from Longview to Portland via Hwy 30) and the fall one in Grays Harbor. Since Travis is stepping down I'll plan those unless someone else wants to take them on. Can't let the tradition die. At least for another year.

Wow, Stump! That would be awesome :rolleyes:

:ph34r: Well Darn! Mr. WD and I just spent 4 days camping at Birch Bay State Park. We did a ton of caches in and around Bellingham during our stay. I definately think a C.M. is in order though.

The 48 North gang has had their thinking caps on after being reminded at our summer pizza feed that a Bellingham cache machine would be coming up in January.

I suspect by then there will be quite a few new caches in the Fourth Corner to add to the list :rolleyes:

WH! :rolleyes: Yay, Stump!

:rolleyes: Oh! That is SO cool Stump! Thanks!

I'd love to see the spirit of the CMs continue and would do what I could to join in and help out.

Does this mean that we can still plan on the San Francisco CM next summer? :bad:

I sure hope that we can get a San Fran. cache machine next summer. We have been doing a few on the outside of the city in the Concord area and there are some great hides down there. From our travels, areas that might be good could also include Sacramento, and Redding areas, if people were willing to travel that far.