Geocoins

There seems to be a large growth in the collecting of these. I however object to the large postage costs - $12 for NJ coins, 15$ canadian for calgary and canada coins.

I see some of the american collectors buy in bulk as a conglomerate. This would also we may not miss issues like I did with NY.

Does anyone have any views on this or is no one else worried about this?

Bob

If you are suggesting a UK based conglomerate or coin club to buy in bulk to reduce the postage costs from the US, I would be interested.

I believe the NY coins sold 1000 in 34 hours and I missed out as well. <_<

It seems since gc opened up the tracking numbers along with individual icons the boom in the coins has taken off.

If you are suggesting a UK based conglomerate or coin club to buy in bulk to reduce the postage costs from the US, I would be interested.

I

So we agree the idea is good how do we sort it out.

Do we agree that one individual buys for us (someone with time to access the web regularly)

How do we agree what to buy - I for instance am interested in buying 2 of all gc com loggables

Maybe we start with a £20 club membership (against coin purchases) as a pump primer

Anybody else got any thoughts

Bob

My thoughts for what it's worth.

Do we agree that one individual buys for us (someone with time to access the web regularly)

Yes, but allow anyone to reserve them on the forums when they become available sending an email to the others to inform them. Excpet for special cases where some members may not want that coin.

How do we agree what to buy - I for instance am interested in buying 2 of all gc com loggables

Ask everyone interested how many they would want of each type (trackable with individual icons, trackable but grouped under one icon (personal coins), non trackable state or country coins and personal coins and work it accordingly. The member would be responsible for payment of the coins he signed up for unless prior to ordered they mentioned they did not want that coin.

Any special coins or higher quality metal of a coin that a member would want not listed send an email to others to see if there was an interest and possibly have a separate order.

I would think starting off just concentrate on the trackable ones on gc in the basic metal.

Maybe we start with a £20 club membership (against coin purchases) as a pump primer

Not a bad idea, I was thinking whoever ordered them divide the total cost by the number of coins and then add the UK postage unless they were to meet up at an event to pass them on. Then just pay what it costs so the 20 pounds membership would stay in the kitty and refundable when they want to drop out.

I have aleady jumped on the bandwagon and waiting on 14 coins to arrive (I'm going to my brother's wedding in Boston and had some sent there) with another 6 ordered but not paid for yet. I think there are 4 state coins that have started asking for interest which would be a good starting point.

Another point would be if anyone sees a coin to inform all as some are only offered in the local forums.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by G Force

Renegade Knight - who runs a coin buying group sent me this very helpful e mail - I Quote

Just for kicks I’m going to mention the problems that ICE (Idaho Coin Enthusiasts) ran into as we got going.

First. Money.

I took a guess at how many coins would come out in the next 3 months and based the initial funds on that. We spent that in the first week. My rough calculations were that for one of every coin that came in the last year it would of taken 54 dollars a month. That was ok for the year, but low for the last part of it that we are in. Next year, who knows. Once the reality set in members lowered how many coins they wanted, or dropped out of the club.

Second. Coins.

This may not sound like a problem, but there are, Signature Coins, Organization Coins (I’ve lumped State Coins, UK Coins, German coins in this large category). Event Coins, Cache Coins, Commercial Coins, Related Coins (Like the Christmas coin and Canine Coin), and coin club clins (Like the Swags coin). When all was said and done we ended up covering all categories except commercial. Interest varied in each category. What we didn’t break out was Trackable or not but there is more interest in trackable coins. There are no doubt going to be more types as time passes. Our members who like trackable said they would order them on the side if they wanted more.

Third. Choice.

Our first couple of coins were sold out in hours. I could of ordered them for the group in time but I polled the members to see who was interested. The coins sold out before I even had a single response. Some members want to preview each coin that comes out, others just want to send money and get coins. They like the no muss no fuss angle of a group. A group can’t be both. ICE went with getting all coins and not missing out, but we lost at least one member due to no longer polling members for each coin. Sometimes something unique comes along and we poll members anyway.

Fourth, Non Payment:

This hasn’t been a problem. The members who survived the first few weeks keep their accounts paid up. We did decide that we would sell the extra coins for a small profit ( 50 cents,) to cover incidental expenses like checks, and to start building up an account so if someone did need some help we could colver them as a group. I don’t think we have our final solution in place.

Fifth, Side Orders

Two of or more active members buy coins on the side out of a fear the group will miss the order, or because they decide they want more than the group order. So far we have been able to accommodate them. Mostly because they are involved in every single order, and because coin makers have been willing to work with us. Typically we consolidate the orders to save on shipping.

This just a heads up on the problems a group will have to tackle. Different solutions are viable. They just have different trade offs to consider.

I didn’t post because it’s a UK club. However based on some posts it looks like you guys will have some of the same questions come up as we did. I hope this information helps.

Good luck.

Mark/RK

forwarded by bob

mongoose39uk Posted on Oct 10 2005, 01:47 PM

That was quite helpfull.

Only really interested in GC trackable coins myself 

Agree fully and thanks RK.

My main interest is in the GC trackable ones as well but would be willing to look at others. From what I have seen the trackable ones go the quickest so if we decided just to concentrate on those and anything else can be polled to see if there is an interest.

The question would then be GC trackable with their own icon or all GC trackables (personal coins)?

I'm easy either way and would probably have a standing order for two.

This looks like it is going to be a runner

So we need to nominate a buyer

1) Any objections to greg from G Force he is already negotiating to get wisconsin :unsure: coins into the uk and has spoken to illinois

2) how many coins (GC Trackable only does any one want - I want 2

3) What have you already got, paid for or asked on forum for

we have this list

Maryland

New Jersey

German

mt mckinley

uk

euro

pennsylvania

new Mexico

christmas

kansas

Delaware

wyoming

iowa

minnesota

3) Mark and lynn great idea for e mail group - you got a job

bob

:unsure:

3) What have you already got, paid for or asked on forum for

we have this list

Maryland

New Jersey

German

mt mckinley

uk

euro

pennsylvania

new Mexico

christmas

kansas

Delaware

wyoming

iowa

minnesota

Do you have a base cost for each of these so that we have a rough idea on the prices

I`ll start taking orders for the Wisocsin coins as the closing date for orders is 21 Oct. If you want one send me an email stating how many you want. I`ll place the order when I get back to the UK on 19 Oct this would allow anyone to still order them by themselves if there are any problems. I would estimate the cost at around 6 pounds but could be slightly more or less depending on shippping.

I`m still waiting on word from them on international orders but have a US address to get them sent to if needed.

Illionois coin - still in planning stage

Compass Rose - orders being accepted and ship international

Michigan - available now and ship international

I will take orders for Compass Rose and Michigan coins (even though I`ve aleady ordered the for myself) and order them on the 19th unless someone wants to send off earlier in case of them getting sold out.

I think idea of the club would be to have everyone already signed up for the quantity and just send off the order straightaway without having to ask indvidually who wants what and how many. Along the lines of a standing order. Automatically you would be responsible for the coin as they come out where you may get a coin you did not want or not get as many as you would like.

But until that is in place I`ll take the emails for the coins mentioned. Until we start receiving some coins I can`t give a price but still think it will be around 6 pounds per coin with some coins slightly more.

I think idea of the club would be to have everyone already signed up for the quantity and just send off the order straightaway without having to ask indvidually who wants what and how many. Along the lines of a standing order. Automatically you would be responsible for the coin as they come out where you may get a coin you did not want or not get as many as you would like.

Agreed

If its OK ill set that up as a sign in agreement for the email group.

Something along the lines of

"by joining this email group you are agreeing to take (x number) of coins of each different type ordered. An up front fee of £20 is required as well as your home name and adress and the number of coins you want from each order for the database. These coins will be ordered by a designated member of the group as and when they become available for sale. Failure to pay the required funds will result in removal from this group and your allocated coins will be sold to other individuals"

Something like that OK for you all ? i feel it needs a sort of enforceable commitment to work properly.

edit to add money up front and name and adress and qunatity requirements and database list.

Edited by markandlynn
Right, but what do you do with it? :mad:

Does it travel around like a travel bug?

Just so you don't think I'm a complete gobbin (no comments please) I did search for a reference and the glossary didn't mention it....

Some people have collections and some people release them into caches. They are like a TB but without the tag. The tracking number is stamped on each one. Just like a TB you can own one for release into caches or pick them up and move them from cache to cache.

We'd be interested in this too. We have already ordered a number of coins online with the intention of releasing them and increasing the number available to UK cachers (check out Red and Gold who is on the move). Can you keep us in the loop please?

EDIT: We are only really interested in the state coins and those with new logos though, since we don't have bottomless pockets! :mad:

Bambi.

Edited by Bambi&Thumper

Not a bad idea, I was thinking whoever ordered them divide the total cost by the number of coins and then add the UK postage unless they were to meet up at an event to pass them on. Then just pay what it costs so the 20 pounds membership would stay in the kitty and refundable when they want to drop out.

still think this ie needed or greg could be seriously out of pocket as there is a gap between paying and being paid - needs to go on the E Mail

Bob

Hi again just explaining the email group thing.

When you join (with my permision :P ) you are becoming part of a large email group. When anyone sends one email to an adress you get in reply to the one above all members of the group recieve the email.

So if i emailed "buying the 120 of santas geocoin on friday i need your money in the account by thursday" everyone in the group gets the email. This way no one needs to buy coins on thier own anymore and anyone can place the order as long as they email the group to say have bought the 110 fredfish coins for the group today as they were nearly sold out in 5 microseconds :P

The group sign in also allows acces to image files data etc but only after you have joined.

Anyone who fails to pay up etc can be booted by the power mad controller (me) muwahahaha :P

It basically save us all having to continually read threads on the forums to find out if we are getting a new coins or have to pay up for the next one out.

edit to add

Group home page: http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/geocoinUK

Edited by markandlynn

Hi, Mystery Ink here from the Bay area in California. I enjoy readng your threads as I feel like we are all a bit of the same mind, "Just one more cache before I have to go home."

Thought I would toss into the hat how we are doing it. We started out funding a given amount to build up a pool. Members committed to a base level and off we went.

So many coins started showing up that we have cut it back to state coins and an occasional special coin. We run a thread where we post any news of new coins and then individuals can go off and buy on there own. Since we live in the same part of the Bay area, we get together when we have a few coins to pass out, have a beer or two and some food. Get into a trading frenzy over sig items or coins and then go home by 9 PM.

Has been working out very well and have picked up some really fun coins. We trade between each other in case one of our group missed out on something.

I have noticed there seems to be a big extra charge for coins going your way, for someone here to send me one or two coins costs about $1.50 USD. Is it at our end or your that run the costs up?

Hereis our thread:

http://www.thegba.net/forum/index.php

I have noticed there seems to be a big extra charge for coins going your way, for someone here to send me one or two coins costs about $1.50 USD. Is it at our end or your that run the costs up

The issue is postage it seems to be a minimum of 5$ which is okay but you get a bit fed up when you pay 12$ to nj coins for it to arrive in a 5$ envelope!!!!

Bob

I'm back in the UK and see we have missed the calling for the Compass Rose and Michigan coins as they are both sold out now. Had we had the the coin club set up they could of been ordered without waiting to hear from everyone.

I have signed up on the Yahoo GeocoinUk group and think we should keep our messages there. We do need to finalize who wants what for future orders.

I am preparing to order the Wisconsin coins (unfortunately they will not ship internationally so will have sent to my brother to forward on) and so far the following have sent me an email:

Haywood Hornet - 1

Pieman - 1

Lizzardman - 2

Jan & Percy Boys - 2

Team Maddie UK - 2(?)

G Force - 2

The last date they are taking orders is 21 Oct.

Just to let you know that the Georgia 2006 coins will be available to order at 12:00 noon EDT, Sunday, October 23, 2005. That's about 5pm isn't it?

However, since we don't think we're going to be about, we were wondering if anyone was planning on ordering some, whether you'd be prepared to order a few for us...?

I am going to send this to the mailing list where the discussion should really take place, but thought I'd post here too incase there's anyone who hasn't signed up yet...

Bambi.

Edited by Bambi&Thumper

I have placed the order for the Wisconsin coins and everybody who sent me an email is accounted for.

More information in the Yahoo geocoinUK group.

All future orders will be dealt with through there. No more postings or request will be taken from here.