Ball Cap Antenna? Ideas?

zeus661

If I cut a piece of sheet metal to the shape of the bill on a ball cap and attach a magnetic mount antenna to it do you think it will work ok? Does the shape of the sheet metal make any difference? I figure it will be about 1/3 moon shape. What do you think?

I am trying to come up with some kind of external antenna that will work for me. Something when navigating on foot. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks,

Edited by zeus661

Most of the external antennas already include a ground plane and don't require that they be mounted on a conducting sheet (although they'll frequently work a bit better if they are). I'd be a bit concerned about the combined weight of the metal sheet and antenna on the bill of the cap tending to pull it down over time.

I sewed a little piece of cloth inside the top of my hiking cap and my external Gilsson antenna fits inside the pocket that it forms. The cloth I used was rather stretchy so it holds the antenna securely. Since it's inside the cap the only evidence of the antenna is the thin cable running down from the back of the cap to my pocket with the GPS. It's pretty unobtrusive and I'd guess that most people who notice the cable would think it's from a radio or iPod-type device to some earplugs.

Edited by peter

I use velco on the brim of a baseball cap. Works great. Sometimes if I am wearing another cap, I just stick it on top of my head and put my cap on. Last Christmas my daughter bought me a Tilley hat which has a pocket in the top that you can slip the external antenna in. Should use it more than I do. I carry the external antenna in my GPS pouch which has a pocket for it, so I usually have it with me.

I have heard using a ground plane would help but never could tell much difference. Good luck. Dick, W7WT

This is real simple, put a large steel washer inside the hat and the magnetic mount antenna on the outside. Works fine. The small advantage of a ground plane just isn't worth the trouble in this case. Depending on the hat, I sometimes remove the little knob at the very top of the hat. Other times I use the washer arrangement on the shoulder of my shirt.

Be careful if you don't put a ground plane piece of metal under your antenna when it's on top of your head.

If you have a normal-to-high IQ, your random thoughts will get recorded as waypoints as you walk along.

For example, if you walk past a donut shop, you'll probably find a waypoint recorded at that location named "ooooh donuts!"

If you don't find any such waypoints recorded, well...that's okay. We all can't be rocket scientists. You're still a special person.

I like the Tilley Hat idea. Are the hats comfortable? Also is the pocket in the inside top of the hat?

Yes, the pocket is in the inside top of the hat. Note that about 5 minutes with a needle and thread can create just as good an antenna pocket inside any cap/hat you already have.

Trimble also sells a cap with a built-in antenna pocket (and their's is even designed for that purpose). I'm surprised the geocaching.com caps don't have it as an option.