Many Hunters, No Hiders

From my area, a semi-new cachers has just put two well stocked caches out and I love it.

Sadly there are few hunters at the moment and less hider, but hey, life happens, we get busy in personal stuff and that is ok. Other stupid stuff can and does happen also to drive the hides down but you just gotta overcome it and keep your chin up.

I would LOVE to place some caches. But we travel fulltime in our RV and move around a lot, and as I understand it, to place a cache you must be able to maintain it. Since we are not usually in an area more than a couple of weeks at a time, I don't know how I could do that.  :rolleyes:

MisterNixter,

We need more caches in remote areas. Please place caches in interesting places when you travel. Make sure they are well-hidden, not too close places where people congregate, and you use a durable container, preferably an ammo can.

We need to encourage geocachers to place more geocaches in places other than urban areas.

Highpointer,

You missed the point of MisterNixter's post. Because they travel, and have no fixed address, placing a cache would mean abandoning it within weeks as they move on to a new location.

While their lifestyle is is the envy of all who like to find caches, it does not lend itself to placing caches when maintenance is a concern.

:laughing:

That's the problem for us, Quiggle. We travel to some wonderful locations and know of dozens where we would love to place a cache. But next week or the week after, we could be a thousand miles away.

I wish we could get virtuals approved, because we come across plenty of places where they could work out, and certainly make us say "wow!".

We appreciate the wonderful folks who hide caches for us to find, we support the hobby by being premium members, and by running a permanent story about geocaching on our website at www.gypsyjournal.net. But we'd sure like to place some caches too. :o

MisterNixter. I like your attitude:

We try very hard not to have a fixed itinerary - we spent too many years with tight schedules and don't ever again want to deal with the stress of having to be somewhere at a given time if we can avoid it. We usually have a general idea where we may be headed, but that doesn't necessarily mean we'll get there anytime soon. Our inner children are a whimsical duo. If we find a place we like, we may spend a week or even two, but we're just as likely to be heading down the highway the next morning.

So your a seeker and not a hider; that could be frustrating, given your active exploration of the world. When you find these excellent cache hiding spots, you could mark the waypoints, and then hook up electronically with one of the local cachers, and suggest the locations as hiding spots. It's not problem to be listed as a co-owner, or a team, and (on topic) you could become an active hider, minus the responsibility of cache maintenance.

And you can always arrange to adopt those caches, assuming that your geocaching acquaintences will agree to maintain them. :o:)

We drove out an entire tank of gas Saturday Geo Caching. We got 9 caches - most of which you had to have a dirt bike or something to get to unless you really liked to walk long distances. We deliberately picked caches that were more fun on a dirt bike and that was our theme for the day. Then we grabbed others that were in the area too.

We seldom look local anymore - micro cancer has taken over. I would not mind if they were good ones. But most of them are for numbers and not because they are in a great spot.

The micro caches are fine for those who are only interested in quantity.

We are into quality. I would rather drive for miles to get a good one than drive all over town for hundreds of parking lot micros.

But everyone has their own way to enjoy this game.

When we start hiding caches they will be quality caches. The number crunchers will have to just get over it. :signalviolin:

Mrs. G. (remember me? I sat with you guys at the women's event) I feel your pain. I live in Pike County, Ohio. Not many cachers in these parts. Thank goodness several in adjoining counties are prolific and inspired hiders.

You had mentioned at the event that you were thinking of hosting an event and did I have any ideas. Here's one. Publicize heavily in the area. Put an article in the local paper and on the radio. Offer to match up newbies that don't have their own GPS with folks that have a few finds under their belt. This may help light a fire in some fresh blood. Give pre-stocked caches as door prizes. You may see if the local hunting/sporting goods store will sponsor the event and donate a GPS to give as a prize.

Just some thoughts. Oh, and let me know when you do your event. I'm there!

And don't worry about other people. The only person you can control is you. Enjoy what you can and don't sweat the small stuff.

I think placing caches is great fun as is finding new caching close to home. There are 1400 caches within 100 miles of your zip code. You found 100 caches. Why are you having a problem? Am I missing something here?

Easy to say when you have 126 caches within 10 miles of your home, 332 within 20 miles and 756 with 30 miles. That extra 70 miles (140 both ways) to get to my 100 mile radius makes a huge difference in a gas and time budget.

Am I missing something here?
You apparently missed the entire point of the post. I asked for suggestions on how to promote geo-caching to new people and encourage the members in my area to hide. You didn't have comments for either of those subjects? I would think living in such a populated area, you would have many suggestions instead just a short cutting comment.

Team Guisinger,

I met the group of you back at the "3 Hour Tour" in my hometown.

I wish I had some constructive feedback to give you, aside from what has been previously posted.

I feel your pain. At the time of the "3HT", I was pondering the same things. Fortunately, for me, Maggieszoo recently appeared on the scene and hid a few caches.

Unfortunately, my desire to seek out caches, has dwindled in the past few months. I've now gone to looking for caches that catch my interest, or ones in the areas where I'm already traveling to.

Benchmark hunting (and reporting to the NGS), and other explorations have started replacing some of my cache time. I've found both of these activities have shown me a number of new cache-worthy sites. A few of those sites I've placed caches in.

Agreed - It isnt much fun when it seems like you are the only person hiding caches.

I've come to the decision, that I will just place some (what I consider) good caches, and sit back and wait for others to appear.

Now that the weather has turned cooler, an event cache would be a good idea. Try and contact a number of cachers in your area. The COG has "cache & coffee nights" which are a basic get-together of cachers to chat. Perhaps such a thing could spark interest in hiding a few more caches.

Of course: You can lead a horse to water........

Mrs. G. is editting this post because not all information given by Mr. G. is completely correct. He was too quick to jump to my defense, gotta love him. The CIAB was my baby and I don't think he ever got to read the instructions that were included with it.

There is a cache-in-a-bag in 2 of our caches. This is a fully stocked cache ready to be hidden. The instructions state that the cache has to be hidden within our home county. It's a pretty big county, I don't think that rule is too confining. It states that if you do not live in the county, you should probably trade for a different item and leave the CIAB. It states that any person who takes/hides the cache is from that point responsible for it. That's not to say we wouldn't help someone who needed help in maintaining any cache even if it weren't one of our CIAB's. (This past weekend we replaced a container, a log and restocked a cache for another member). In no way did we make it mandatory for anyone to take or place the cache. This is not all that uncommon of an idea. I have gotten message from several people who have done the same thing who say it has worked wonderfully.

Edited by TeamGuisinger

There are lots of way to contribute to geocaching...hiding quality caches is one.

You can encourage local cacher to hide caches

Contact local land managers and promote caching

Orginize an event cache

Orginize a CITO event

Write an article (online or print media) about geocaching

Find and repair/restock caches that need help

Everone contributes to caching in his/her own way and enjoys the game differently.

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly
I think placing caches is great fun as is finding new caching close to home. There are 1400 caches within 100 miles of your zip code. You found 100 caches. Why are you having a problem? Am I missing something here?

Easy to say when you have 126 caches within 10 miles of your home, 332 within 20 miles and 756 with 30 miles. That extra 70 miles (140 both ways) to get to my 100 mile radius makes a huge difference in a gas and time budget.

You apparently missed the entire point of the post. I asked for suggestions on how to promote geo-caching to new people and encourage the members in my area to hide. You didn't have comments for either of those subjects? I would think living in such a populated area, you would have many suggestions instead just a short cutting comment.

I apopolgize if you felt my response to your original posting as offensive. You didn't just ask for advice. You judged people. Your original post was self-righteous, self-pitying and frankly insulting to many of your fellow cachers. You ought to re-read it.

QUOTE (TeamGuisinger @ Nov 14 2005, 08:39 AM)

I apopolgize if you felt my response to your original posting as offensive. You didn't just ask for advice. You judged people. Your original post was self-righteous, self-pitying and frankly insulting to many of your fellow cachers. You ought to re-read it.

You didn't just ask for advice. You judged people. Your original post was self-righteous, self-pitying and frankly insulting to many of your fellow cachers.

Ummm, what's that saying about the pot and the kettle????? I feel judged! :rolleyes:

You can insult me and my way of thinking all you want. In the grand scheme...big whoop! Everyone in the world thinks they're right. That includes me. That includes you.

I have already gotten what I wanted out of this post which was:

-suggestions on promoting to new cachers

-suggestions on encouraging current members to hide

-suggestions on how to deal with negative feedback from the 2 people mentioned

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read the post and actually put some thought in to your answers. You all have given me a new persepective on the subject(s). Even this Alan guy can't get me worked up now. :lol:

Hello TeamGuisinger,

I realize I am late to this discussion, but this topic discussion has had a number of concerns that I have considered as well after living in areas with a low cache density in the past.

One idea that has worked for our new area is hosting geocaching events such as this one of mine: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...59-9bba0b8b8eb8 Another tactic that I like is to choose an area and "cluster" a number of good quality caches in an area close to my home that previously had none.

The quality vs. quantity issues usually come up when folks start placing huge multitudes of poorly thought out caches in sloppily hidden cache locations. If you get a good group going there are natural checks and balances that occur without folks having to get nasty with one another. Usually camaraderie and wanting to place a "better" cache than the one your caching friends just hid is a great incentive.

I'm one of the hunters and not always the greatest hider myself, but try to contribute as best I am able.

Just my 2 cents. Happy hiding and hunting! ;)

-sun

moon-

starz

I have only been caching for about 2 months and I am addicted. We have a nice-sized caching community where I live and I have been enjoying so much since these people have been taking me to all these new places...either by cache or by caching party! Some places are so close to where I live, and I just never knew they were there. I have learned so much, and have been having so much fun, that I wanted to contribute a cache for others to find and enjoy, and I found the perfect historic place.

It was archived in less than a week.

It wasn't placed in a dangerous place, and the people who found it before it was shut down LOVED the hide and the history. But the parks and playgrounds in my township are very wide, open spaces, and the increased foot traffic in the area led neighbors to believe that drug deals were going down in their backyard. That, and the drive to have the most FTFs brought crazed geocachers to this park at 2 in the morning, even thought the cache page and the park clearly state the hours of the park. I won't get into all of it although I am very disappointed that the town's police support that the only public allowed to enjoy this park is the public that live across the street from it.

Needless to say, I am very disheartened about the idea of placing another cache in my township for fear of being shut down again! But, I plan to place three this week, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

~guinea_gal

Well, for what it's worth I'm a noob that plans on dropping plenty of caches. Some (like my first) may not be glamorous, but in the long run I want to give as much as I get from this new hobby. And they said being a D&D Dungeon Master as a kid wouldn’t amount to anything in the real world….hah!

:anibad:

While their lifestyle is is the envy of all who like to find caches, it does not lend itself to placing caches when maintenance is a concern.

I hope the reviewers can loosen the "maintainable distance" to encourage experienced geocachers to place more high-quality caches in remote areas. I live in Arizona and there are many geocaches in the Phoenix metropolitan area, where I live, but when I travel to the less-populated regions of the state, there are many areas where there may not be any cache within a radius of 10 or more miles.

When I drive throughout Arizona, I would like to see more caches in the regions of low population density. For example, this weekend I plan to visit a friend at a motel in Holbrook, where we will go hiking in Petrified Forest National Park. However, there are only two caches within 11 miles of Holbrook, as you can see here.

Another example is Gila Bend, a small town along I-8 in southwestern Maricopa County. I own a virtual cache in this community, but since no active geocachers live in Gila Bend, the next closest cache is 12.4 miles away.

I don't want geocaching to be just an urban activity. Geocaching should be an activity that encourages people to go hiking and traveling to all regions of the USA and the world. Geocaching should not be restricted to places close to geocachers' homes or densely-populated areas. Most of my favorite geocaches are those that are not within my home metropolitan area, but are in places that take me to many interesting locations that I wouldn't have thought of visiting otherwise.

Some small, rural communities, such as Gila Bend, have no active geocachers living in them. If we did not encourage experienced geocachers to place high-quality caches in interesting yet remote or sparsely-populated places not within their home metropolitan areas, then how would some of those regions ever get any caches?

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

Edited by Highpointer
I hope the reviewers can loosen the "maintainable distance" to encourage experienced geocachers to place more high-quality caches in remote areas. I live in Arizona and there are many geocaches in the Phoenix metropolitan area, where I live, but when I travel to the less-populated regions of the state, there are many areas where there may not be any cache within a radius of 10 or more miles.

It may just be that some areas will never have many caches. But I have see that the reviewers in some of the western states allow a much greater area for cache placement realizing that cachers in the major cities may travel further distance when caching. I can't speak for the Arizona reviewer, but I suspect that an experienced cacher from Phoenix that has found caches in other areas of the state would not have much trouble getting a cache approved in Gila Bend and perhaps even as far away as Holbrook.

I would LOVE to place some caches. But we travel fulltime in our RV and move around a lot, and as I understand it, to place a cache you must be able to maintain it. Since we are not usually in an area more than a couple of weeks at a time, I don't know how I could do that.  :)

I am also a full-time RV'er (Thus my name). The problem that I have had is getting the reviewers to authorize one of my hides. Since I am rarely in an area for more than a few weeks. I have one virtual hide and one traditional that is located on my brother-in-laws property. I've attempted to hide other virtual caches (because of the maintenance problem) and have been refused because I don't live in the area. Is there a way to get some caches approved? I have some great ideas. I'm trying to do my part with seven Travel Bugs. What else can I do. Really want this hobby/sport to last .

am also a full-time RV'er (Thus my name). The problem that I have had is getting the reviewers to authorize one of my hides. Since I am rarely in an area for more than a few weeks. I have one virtual hide and one traditional that is located on my brother-in-laws property. I've attempted to hide other virtual caches (because of the maintenance problem) and have been refused because I don't live in the area. Is there a way to get some caches approved? I have some great ideas. I'm trying to do my part with seven Travel Bugs. What else can I do. Really want this hobby/sport to last .

You could try making contact in the regional forums with cachers in the area you wish to hide. Perhaps someone would agree to team up for a hide. You could do the hiding, they could help maintain it. Is that against the rules?

You could try making contact in the regional forums with cachers in the area you wish to hide. Perhaps someone would agree to team up for a hide. You could do the hiding, they could help maintain it. Is that against the rules?

Some people I often cache with go out of country for months at a time.

During those trips, I "godfather" their caches.

This is approved by our local reviewer.

From my area, a semi-new cachers has just put two well stocked caches out and I love it.

We agree!!! The new cacher who's hiding in the area we share with Geoholic28 is totally raising the bar on hides and swag. After missing the FTF prize from this hider's first cache, I dedicated myself to get to his next one first, and succeeded, and got the best FTF prize so far, a real silver piece retrieved from an offshore shipwreck. WooHoo for hiders who do it right.

- T of TandS

I would LOVE to place some caches. But we travel fulltime in our RV and move around a lot, and as I understand it, to place a cache you must be able to maintain it. Since we are not usually in an area more than a couple of weeks at a time, I don't know how I could do that.  :ph34r:

MisterNixter and Rv'r if you get up to MN and want to place some caches I'd be willing to maintain for you as long as they are in the twin Cities area. Just let me know.

My Bf and I are new to the sport and so are just beginning to think about cache placements and hides. We actually have one geocacher who has a nursery to assist in getting new caches placed. I've vistied the nursury but the storekeeper was not around tho we found a sapling we wanted to "purchase". http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...70-ebb37fce221c

I have yet to do a King B's cache but btween him and Arcticabn, amoung others in my area I can't seem to keep up with the caches.

Edited by CamoCacher
We started geo-caching last spring and have grown quite addicted to the game. Living in a rural area there were not many caches in our county. After finding enough so we thought we had a good handle on the gps, we jumped right in and started hiding caches. Thinking that people (around here) considering the purchase ofa GPS for geo-caching would be more likely to do so if there were more hides in our area. We had no idea there were so many cachers around until they started finding our hides. After going through profiles we discovered that there are several people that have found several hundred caches and have not hidden a single one. While we love to hide, we also like to hunt without having to drive 50 miles. Am I wrong to feel that they should be contributing to the geo-caching community by hiding caches of their own? Is this a problem that other cachers are experiencing?

It's to the point that I am ready to stop hiding all together, which is sad because we do enjoy it. There are 2 specific people (with 0 hides) who have the NERVE :ph34r: to send us messages criticizing our hides. To them I would like to say....keep your lazy butt at home then! I wish there was a way I could keep them from searching for our caches!

So I'm looking for insight on the subject. Am I wasting my time and energy even trying to get these people to fully participate in the game? We have put a lot of money, time and effort in to our caches. Is it wrong to think that others should give back a fraction?

Cache On! :lol:

Mrs. G,

1st) I'd say: be careful what you wish for. Each to his own, according to his means. Some people, quite frankly, should be prohibited from hiding caches! There is no find/hide ratio required, and this is as it should be. I've found far too many smashed take-out food containers, and bison tubes hidden in prickly evergreens in small parks.

2nd) I have criticized caches. My best one was "This is the second ugliest place that I've ever seen a cache hidden." The cache owner thought it hilarious. Unfortunately, some cache owners do not take criticism well. But, if as you say, some criticize your caches routinely, you might consider taking their criticism with a grain of salt. "Oh, well". Or learn from their criticism. Just because they do not have the capability to hide a good cache, does not mean that they don't recognize a good cache when they find it.

3rd) Yes, you are wasting your time hoping that everyone will fulfill your expectations. Repeat after me: "Oh, well". Do your own thing, and don't expect anyone to live up to your expectations. This helps prevent ulcers.

I've found that the greatest frustrations in life are when we try to make others behave as we want them to.

Frustrating to try, but oh so satisfying to succeed... "BANG, BANG"!

Hiders are not the blessed event of geocaching. There are hiders, there are seekers, there are hiders and seekers. The OP's frustration is a personal fault, not the fault of others. Boosting numbers on the hide or the seek side of the equation for their own sake is symptomatic of psychological pathology. Seek only the unfindable hide...

Edited by edchen
Hiders are not the blessed event of geocaching.. .. Where would the finders be without them?

There are hiders, there are seekers, there are hiders and seekers.

The OP's frustration is a personal fault, not the fault of others.... The frustration is from a number hog who likes to critique everyone, but after a couple hundred finds, hasn't taken the time to place one cache to try and give back to the rest of the caching community. Boosting numbers on the hide or the seek side of the equation for their own sake is symptomatic of psychological pathology.... Good thing we dont do it on either side, A? Seek only the unfindable hide...

We even hid one right down the street from their house hoping to influence them to hide, no luck. We found out that out of the two of them, only one actually finds them. The other goes back with directions just for the smiley, no hunting, just logging. IMHO that's CHEAP. It's not about the hide or hunt to these people, just the numbers. The follower of the pair met another team caching awhile back, and when he realized that the team he met wasn't going to tell him where it was, he left. Now, who doesn't think they need some ribbing? :huh:

Placing caches does not define "giving back" to the community. Placing caches is and should be considered a completely separate activity with it's own separate pleasures. "Giving back" is doing the grunt work of maintenance and monitoring. "Giving back" is going to meetings and hammering out land manager policies. "Giving back" is ensuring new caches meet the guidelines. It's the part of this activity no one really WANTS to do.

Your continuing 'outrage' at finders that don't hide is noted. Next topic?

Edited by edchen
Placing caches is and should be considered a completely separate activity with it's own separate pleasures.

"Giving back" is doing the grunt work of maintenance and monitoring.

"Giving back" is going to meetings and hammering out land manager policies. "Giving back" is ensuring new caches meet the guidelines. It's the part of this activity no one really WANTS to do.

Your continuing 'outrage' at finders that don't hide is noted. Next topic?

Placing caches is and should be considered a completely separate activity with it's own separate pleasures. Ok, so you too must be a number hog who wont hide a cache for everyone else to enjoy. To me, that's selfish. :rolleyes:

"Giving back" is doing the grunt work of maintenance and monitoring. Contradict yourself much? Maintenance and monitoring are the responsibility of the placer unless arrangements have been made beforehand, so to maintain and monitor, you must first place. :P

"Giving back" is going to meetings and hammering out land manager policies. Why's that? I'm not a land manager, and I'm not interested in trying to change someones thoughts about how to manage their land. It's not my place to question or challenge someone about their property because I want to play a game, there are thousands of public acres out there. :lol:

"Giving back" is ensuring new caches meet the guidelines. It's the part of this activity no one really WANTS to do. So are you saying that you're an approver, or that you dont like the rules? I dont like the rules sometimes. Like when I see a great spot for a cache, but it's somewhere I cant place. It's part of the game, all of mine meet the guidelines, they kinda have to to get published. B)

Your continuing 'outrage' at finders that don't hide is noted. Next topic? I wouldn't say outrage, more like disapointed. I expect people to participate. It IS part of the game. Maybe we should all quit hiding and see how long it takes for the muggles and park rangers who ban to clear out every cache there is, how would you feel about your attitude then? Finally, this thread has been here for awhile, many people have commented, some helped, some not. Either way, I dont see how you have any authority to end topic, so if you dont like the topic, stop reading it. :D

Ah, if only it were true...

If all of your caches meet the guidelines, then you've talked to a few land managers - otherwise how could you have obtained permission for placement, as per the guidelines? Even public property, a surprise to you perhaps, is managed and not implicitly open for cache placements.

Just because a cache is approved in no way means it is within guidelines. I have personally recommended a number of archivings for caches on military property and in other inappropriate locations, which were indeed subsequently archived.

As for cache maintenance, maybe you only maintain your own caches, but many of us maintain most caches we visit, whether adding pens, new logbooks, or just cleaning/drying out the cache.

As for numbers hogs - you, yourself, are complaining only because you can't boost your numbers due to a lack of other caches in your area. Who's the 'numbers hog' here? It's tautological.

BTW, there's no useful purpose served in quoting from the posting immediately preceding your new posting (responding to the last reply is implied).

Edited by edchen

Stick to your story, you said (and should know since I wasted a quote on you) "Giving back is going to meetings and hammering out land manager policies."

That's more than a slight difference from asking permission to place a cache.

Do you go to a public park and ask permission to play baseball? Do you stop and ask if you can play hopscotch on a public sidewalk? I'm sorry that you have this need to sound so intelligent, it probably works with people who aren't.

So by saying that you "have personally recommended a number of archivings", you're pretty much out to piss off all the real geocachers that you can, and make things even harder than they already are? Or is that just how you play the game, by searching for something wrong with everything in the world so you can run and tell. That's a great thing you're doing for the sport. Kudos. Did people pick on you when you were little? Fixing things in finds is a gimme, I didnt think it needed discussing. It's like remembering to keep walking while you're chewing gum, it's part of the game, not something you should be patting yourself on the back for.

As for why I'm complaining, dont EVER tell me why I'M doing something. You dont know me, and hopefully never will. I already explained in full detail why I was complaining, everyone else in the thread gets it, why's it so hard to read someones opinion and walk away? If I was concerned with numbers, I'd drive to Columbus and rack them up. I'm all about quality, not quantity. Tautological is saying the same thing twice, if your statement about how I think were true, hypocritical would better suit YOUR statement.

BTW, there's no useful purpose served in quoting from the posting immediately preceding your new posting (responding to the last reply is implied).
Except when the person your talking to tries to twist their own words to look like their right, like you just did.

TWICE :blink: