Geocoins On Ebay

Bjornian

if i had paid $300 I wouldn't have minded but $17 forcanadian coin

is pretty steep

(mind you they are in New Jersey where postage is expensive I mean I was charged $12 for coins sent to me in a $5 priority envelope from that state recently

I am not sure I understand this post.

There have been 8 bids on the coin you linked. And S/H is $3 which isn't unreasonable.

I think I must've missed some earlier context...

if i had paid $300 I wouldn't have minded but $17 forcanadian coin

is pretty steep

(mind you they are in New Jersey where postage is expensive I mean I was charged $12 for coins sent to me in a $5 priority envelope from that state recently

I am not sure I understand this post.

There have been 8 bids on the coin you linked. And S/H is $3 which isn't unreasonable.

I think I must've missed some earlier context...

If you look at the listing again. Shipping outside of the US is $17. I have shipped items outside of the us and if the person wants Ins. That would be right.

Richard

Easy solution

If you don't want to see your coins on ebay=don't have any minted. Case solved.

If you don't want to see ANY geocoin on ebay=don't go to ebay.

Amen,

if you don't like it why do you go there and come back and complain! Just stay away from looking at ebay and you won't get upset.

Last month a SilverMarc coin sold for $24 on eBay, last week one sold for just $10 or so. I think that's a good sign - perhaps the novelty of pricey geocoins on eBay will wear off and we can just start trading them like the hunks of metal they are.

Artistic, yes, but hundreds of dollars each... who needs it!

--Marc

November 1, 2005 @ 12:51 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

I do not care what geocoin I buy/trade for. It is not the coin that means anything ot me. it is the person who made it. I will stop wanting geocoins at the same point I have friends who are geocachers. If I knew these people, just knowing them would be the value. But since I have not met anyone, the coins make me feel connected ot other geocachers.

I agree with your statement 100%. I feel a connection with the person from which each geocoin I have came and that is the way I want to keep it. It would seem to me that if you have too many coins ( I know some think there is no such thing as too many geocoins ) somewhere along the line they just get lost in the COLLECTION.

Although it is kind of fun to see on ebay what all the coins look like and what prices some of them go for.

team sidewinder

Edited by Team Sidewinder

I was just reading the other thread that opened and then got locked regarding ebay "enough with ebay already" I believe was the closing. Is there some rule about talking about ebay? Of course I know the "Charity" rule, but am I missing something?

(and yes, I know that it was locked because another thread was already open on the topic).

Edited by Hula Bum
I was just reading the other thread that opened and then got locked regarding ebay "enough with ebay already" I believe was the closing. Is there some rule about talking about ebay? Of course I know the "Charity" rule, but am I missing something?

(and yes, I know that it was locked because another thread was already open on the topic).

I think people are just burned out on talking about it. And also I read where somebody typed about giving publicity to ebay and gc.com is not getting paid for it. I think that the shock is over and there's not much more to talk about. :(

U would think there wouldn't be much more to talk about, and yet it keeps coming up. :)

It seems that people still have something to say about it.

New people...... :( you know the kind....

What are geocoins?

How do I log one?

Are all coins loggable?

Where can I get a coin made?

How do you get started collecting?

OMG! Coins on ebay!

:)

Oh I still find it interesting to discuss specific coin auctions. So I'm glad one thread was left open.

It is interesting to talk about the auctions, but how will I know what auction you are talking about? You can not post a link...hmmm....let's try a item number....

Anybody seen this coin: Item number: 8356687026?

No it's not mine...but it is cool...another Kirkland Coin.

You think selling geocoins on eBay is sick? Hah! I'll tell you what is REALLY sick!

I bought two 9key coins and he got messed up and double shipped. I ended up holding 4 coins for the price of 2. Heh, heh, heh...... free coins to sell on eBay!

Now for the sick part..... I sent him email and told him about his mistake and actually packaged up and returned the 2 extra coins. Now THAT is sick. :anibad:

You think selling geocoins on eBay is sick? Hah! I'll tell you what is REALLY sick!

I bought two 9key coins and he got messed up and double shipped. I ended up holding 4 coins for the price of 2. Heh, heh, heh...... free coins to sell on eBay!

Now for the sick part..... I sent him email and told him about his mistake and actually packaged up and returned the 2 extra coins. Now THAT is sick. :anibad:

I think you have the wrong return address. Email me for the correct address :blink:

Looking at Ebay, it is interesting to see which coins went for the most. Looking at non-charity auctions, the top 10:

Moun10Bike V.1 $1025.00

Migo Winter 2005 $231.00

Cav Scout Raven $162.00

2005 PA #1 Gold $150.00

2005 PA #1 Bronze $137.00

GC Ammo Can $80.00

2005 Geoghost $78.00

GeoWoodstock III $76.00

2005 ND Winter $61.00

2005 OH $61.00

GeoWoodstock III $61.00

You think selling geocoins on eBay is sick?  Hah!  I'll tell you what is REALLY sick!

Now for the sick part..... I sent him email and told him about his mistake and actually packaged up and returned the 2 extra coins. Now THAT is sick.  :lol:

It's finally happened!

Doing the right thing now has to be an embarrassing thing to do!

[grin!!]

--Marc

December 1, 2005 @ 11:18 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Personally, I don't like to see a coin I've dropped off in a cache be sold on eBay. Saw one I place in a cache in another state recently go for a lot of cash on eBay. I don't care that someone thinks they are justified because they have to feed their habit of buying more coins. How does that make it better? Its just someone taking advantage and profiting from my generosity.

I know that when you put something into a box out in woods that you can't control what happens to it. I just think coins should go in caches to reward the person who placed a really great cache or as a surprise to the finder. I definitely won't be placing anymore in the state where I dropped that one that got sold on ebay.

This craze wil end sometime.

Anyone remember the great tulipmania of the 1600's?

Look it up if you've never heard about it. Its an eye-opener. :unsure:

Edited by DoodleCat & MisterKrrk

While I've never sold a coin on Ebay, I have nothing against it and may actually do it some day if I can ever bear to part with any of the shiny precious things for something so cold as an electronic entry on Paypal.... Never mind, back on topic. I see nothing wrong with the Ebay trade.

And I see nothing wrong with making money in general, or making money from geocaching in particular. However, there is something I don't get.

There are several coins (5 that I'm aware of) that are ONLY sold on Ebay. If they've been distributed in any other way, I'm not aware of it. They aren't trackable, they aren't a personal coin, they are NOT traded (I've approched the seller) and if anyone has ever turned one up in a cache I'd be shocked. I just don't see what makes them "geocoins". I bought two and I look at them now and wonder why. They might as we'll be a Hummel with a GPS on it. Does stamping the letters "geo" on a cutely cofigured painted hunk of metal make it a "geocoin"? Just because someone skins a fellow cacher a few bucks for it? (not that there's anything wrong with that)

I'm no purist, but can someone 'splain this to me?