Geocoins On Ebay

Bjornian

Personally, I don't like to see a coin I've dropped off in a cache be sold on eBay. Saw one I place in a cache in another state recently go for a lot of cash on eBay. I don't care that someone thinks they are justified because they have to feed their habit of buying more coins. How does that make it better? Its just someone taking advantage and profiting from my generosity.

I know that when you put something into a box out in woods that you can't control what happens to it. I just think coins should go in caches to reward the person who placed a really great cache or as a surprise to the finder. I definitely won't be placing anymore in the state where I dropped that one that got sold on ebay.

This craze wil end sometime.

Anyone remember the great tulipmania of the 1600's?

Look it up if you've never heard about it. Its an eye-opener.  :rolleyes:

I have to agree with this. I paid $5 each to have them made. I realize that they become the finders property, It just burns me when the are put on eBay. :lol: I was going to have a new one made but the more I think about it I am hesitant to do it. :lol:

Personally, I don't like to see a coin I've dropped off in a cache be sold on eBay. Saw one I place in a cache in another state recently go for a lot of cash on eBay. I don't care that someone thinks they are justified because they have to feed their habit of buying more coins. How does that make it better? Its just someone taking advantage and profiting from my generosity.

I know that when you put something into a box out in woods that you can't control what happens to it. I just think coins should go in caches to reward the person who placed a really great cache or as a surprise to the finder. I definitely won't be placing anymore in the state where I dropped that one that got sold on ebay.

Look it up if you've never heard about it. Its an eye-opener.  :rolleyes:

I have to agree with this. I paid $5 each to have them made. I realize that they become the finders property, It just burns me when the are put on eBay. :lol: I was going to have a new one made but the more I think about it I am hesitant to do it. :lol:

Don't "not make it" because of one guy looking for money.

Trade or sell them at 1 per person and hey be selective who you trade with if you want, it's your coin.

I took a good look at the picture of the seller holding Indy Diver geocoin Number 95(?). I believe he said the coin was number 95, even in the blur of the picture you can make out the shapes of the numbers. To me its does not look like 95, but more like a 7 and another number.

I am being safe and not gonna bid on this one even though I would love to have this coin in my collection.

Prove me wrong with a clear picture of the actual coin.

Edited by Cav Scout
I took a good look at the picture of the seller holding Indy Diver geocoin Number 95(?). I believe he said the coin was number 95, even in the blur of the picture you can make out the shapes of the numbers. To me its does not look like 95, but more like a 7 and another number.

I am being safe and not gonna bid on this one even though I would love to have this coin in my collection.

Don't ya love how he continue's to open threads about his auction coin?? It's funny to me that the link he provided in the last thread doesn't even work.

Look it up if you've never heard about it. Its an eye-opener.  :)

I have to agree with this. I paid $5 each to have them made. I realize that they become the finders property, It just burns me when the are put on eBay. :D I was going to have a new one made but the more I think about it I am hesitant to do it. :D

That is the nice thing about 'trackable' Geocoins.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=205986

About this item:

This is not a regular trading item. This is a travel bug with a mission. If you do not intend to log your visit, please do not take this item. Please follow the travel bugs goal and put back into a cache as soon as possible.

----

Even is someone keeps it, they would have a hard time selling it on ebay.

Look it up if you've never heard about it. Its an eye-opener. :)

You could end up like me and have the coin you release back in your collection.

My Canadian coin bounced around Arizona, then to Illinois where it disappeared. It reappeared months later in an ebay auction and sold to someone in Denver. From there the coin traveled to Utah where it was picked up. Those people said that they were going to release it in Montana. I forwarded the message to my team mate who just happend to move up to Montana. He made arrangements to get the coin back, as he explained that he was with me when we originally released it in AZ. He had it shipped down to me and it is my most prized coin in my collection. Its seen some wear and tear, but it has a story of just how small this world actually is.

Btw, I was pretty ticked off when I saw my coin was in an auction. And this auction was one way before this current craze started.

You can see the log for this coins journey at http://www.geocoins.ca/track.php and enter coin number 0329.

Don't ya love how he continue's to open threads about his auction coin?? It's funny to me that the link he provided in the last thread doesn't even work.

He opened one too many. After being asked by the moderator team to quit opening threads, another one was opened late last evening, and then closed by the poster. Funny, that thread seems to have disappeared. :)

You won't be hearing anything further about this particular auction from the "seller." Links in this thread to an eBay sale are fine, if they follow the posted guidelines. Three or four separate threads about an eBay sale will attract the attention of the moderator team.

Allow me this opportunity to thank the geocoin community for their response to this issue, and to suggest (but not demand) that you move along to discussing better things, so as not to give this fellow more publicity, and a bigger profit, than he has already received.

Placing found coins for sale is pathetic. IMHO :)

Maybe we should all start stealing entire caches and listing them as "Pre-made Geocaches -- ready to be placed by YOU!" -- even the logbooks have signatures! Get a head-start on placing caches without the dull drugery of actually creating one yourself!

Although I know it will never work -- I think that this whole trading thing has to have some ethics involved and we should never, ever, trade/sell/buy coins that were in caches (unless we are the owner or have the owners consent).

Taking a coin for your collection as the result of a fair trade is somewhat "grey" (trackable-no!, non-trackable-maybe). However, a "take and sell" is nasty.

A good real-world example would be the sale of art. If you own a painting and sell it at auction -- cool. If you steal a painting or acquire said painting from someone else that stole it -- not cool. War paintings are a good example of this -- I wonder if it is okay to steal from victims of war and sell their possessions on eBay?

It is interesting that folks are willing to sacrifice simple moral values for the sake of getting a few hundred dollars on a little coin. I think this Indy Diver coin (as an example) shows how shallow this collecting of coins can become. My collection is huge -- so I'm as obessive as most, but at least the ones I've traded and sold have been honestly acquired and have meaning beyond filling some percieved "slot" in a collection list. :D

Hmmmm....that was quite the rant! :D

Placing found coins for sale is pathetic.  IMHO  :)

Maybe we should all start stealing entire caches and listing them as "Pre-made Geocaches -- ready to be placed by YOU!"  -- even the logbooks have signatures!  Get a head-start on placing caches without the dull drugery of actually creating one yourself!

Although I know it will never work -- I think that this whole trading thing has to have some ethics involved and we should never, ever, trade/sell/buy coins that were in caches (unless we are the owner or have the owners consent). 

Taking a coin for your collection as the result of a fair trade is somewhat "grey" (trackable-no!, non-trackable-maybe).  However, a "take and sell" is nasty.

A good real-world example would be the sale of art.  If you own a painting and sell it at auction -- cool.  If you steal a painting or acquire said painting from someone else that stole it -- not cool.  War paintings are a good example of this -- I wonder if it is okay to steal from victims of war and sell their possessions on eBay?

It is interesting that folks are willing to sacrifice simple moral values for the sake of getting a few hundred dollars on a little coin.  I think this Indy Diver coin (as an example) shows how shallow this collecting of coins can become.  My collection is huge -- so I'm as obessive as most, but at least the ones I've traded and sold have been honestly acquired and have meaning beyond filling some percieved "slot" in a collection list. :D

Hmmmm....that was quite the rant!  :D

Yeah it was, but I completely agree. Keep up the good work!

Placing found coins for sale is pathetic. IMHO :)

Maybe we should all start stealing entire caches and listing them as "Pre-made Geocaches -- ready to be placed by YOU!" -- even the logbooks have signatures! Get a head-start on placing caches without the dull drugery of actually creating one yourself!

Taking a coin for your collection as the result of a fair trade is somewhat "grey" (trackable-no!, non-trackable-maybe). However, a "take and sell" is nasty.

A good real-world example would be the sale of art. If you own a painting and sell it at auction -- cool. If you steal a painting or acquire said painting from someone else that stole it -- not cool. War paintings are a good example of this -- I wonder if it is okay to steal from victims of war and sell their possessions on eBay?

It is interesting that folks are willing to sacrifice simple moral values for the sake of getting a few hundred dollars on a little coin. I think this Indy Diver coin (as an example) shows how shallow this collecting of coins can become. My collection is huge -- so I'm as obessive as most, but at least the ones I've traded and sold have been honestly acquired and have meaning beyond filling some percieved "slot" in a collection list. :D

Hmmmm....that was quite the rant! :D

LFD - When I drop something in a cache that is not a traveller, I cease to be the owner. If I left a Picasso painting in a cache, then whoever takes it out of the cache is the new owner. Simple. If that person wants to sell the painting on Ebay, that is their prerogative. It ain't my painting anymore.

If someone finds a round piece of metal in a cache that has some words and pictures on it and it isn't currency - how the heck are they supposed to know what a fair trade is? (rhetorical) Not all cachers spend too much time in the forums (like a lot of us!), so they aren't as likely to get bitter about caching :D

Let us not forget that what we find in caches is ours to keep, sell, eat, throw away or even drop in another cache. If I take it, it's mine. You don't get to tell me what to do with it after I find it - you have to do that before I take it, by way of a tag or a note.

LFD - When I drop something in a cache that is not a traveller, I cease to be the owner. If I left a Picasso painting in a cache, then whoever takes it out of the cache is the new owner. Simple. If that person wants to sell the painting on Ebay, that is their prerogative. It ain't my painting anymore.

If someone finds a round piece of metal in a cache that has some words and pictures on it and it isn't currency - how the heck are they supposed to know what a fair trade is? (rhetorical) Not all cachers spend too much time in the forums (like a lot of us!), so they aren't as likely to get bitter about caching :P

Let us not forget that what we find in caches is ours to keep, sell, eat, throw away or even drop in another cache. If I take it, it's mine. You don't get to tell me what to do with it after I find it - you have to do that before I take it, by way of a tag or a note.

I see that point -- I really do.

However, I am thinking of things from an ethical standpoint. If I found something of value in a cache, I would likely read the logs, find out who placed it there, and inform them that they are parting with something that has value. I also return lost wallets. If I found $200 on the street I would post a sign in the area letting folks know I had found money and to contact me to describe the quantity, etc.

I completely agree that you need to "let it go" when it comes to coins, trackable coins, travel bugs, etc, etc. I just think there is an ethical line that one needs to form. Not moving a Travel Bug is one thing -- keeping it is another -- selling it is yet another.

My opinion is that taking items from a cache and selling them on eBay is a very poor reflection on the person playing the caching "game".

You are correct though -- you can do whatever you want with what you find in the woods. In fact -- feel free to take caches out of their place and throw them in the nearest park garbage can -- after all, aren't they just litter in the woods?

another thought on this....

I know ebay allows the cancelling of auctions in certain circumstances. they seem to negate the 'first sale' doctrine of copyright in many cases, so maybe that is an option here as well?? The creator of the coin is still the holder of the copyright and possibly could stop a sale?? Maybe all coins need a small license agreement etched on them that the creator holds all sale rights?

[.  If I found something of value in a cache, I would likely read the logs, find out who placed it there, and inform them that they are parting with something that has value.  I also return lost wallets.  If I found $200 on the street I would post a sign in the area letting folks know I had found money and to contact me to describe the quantity, etc.

I completely agree that you need to "let it go" when it comes to coins, trackable coins, travel bugs, etc, etc.  I just think there is an ethical line that one needs to form.  Not moving a Travel Bug is one thing -- keeping it is another -- selling it is yet another. 

My opinion is that taking items from a cache and selling them on eBay is a very poor reflection on the person playing the caching "game".

You are correct though -- you can do whatever you want with what you find in the woods.  In fact -- feel free to take caches out of their place and throw them in the nearest park garbage can -- after all, aren't they just litter in the woods?

Finding $200 in the street is a lot different than finding $200 in an ammo can, especially if there is a log entry that simply said: Left $200, TFTC. Of course, the issue of trading fairly would make trading difficult :D

When it comes to TBs and trackable coins, or coins with a note that says to keep it moving, people who take and keep them are low-life vermin. Anything else, is theirs as a gift from whoever left it. That's the whole idea behind leaving stuff in caches, right? Nobody places something in a cache hoping no-one will ever take it. Taking the ammo can, of course is something entirely different. And I never suggested otherwise. I said that what we find in the cache is ours to take - there are lots of things in the woods that should never be taken :D

As far as selling anything on Ebay - the more you know about the source of those items the more frustrated you'll get :P

Yeah -- I sort of was pushing to to the extreme with the cache-removal comment :P

My real point is that geocoins are created as cache fodder -- many are traded, sold, collected as well.

I just think that those that live in caches are special and should continue to live in caches -- not be sold. Call it the "spirit" or the "ethics" of the game. Of course, I also think trading for another coin is okay -- so I guess it's just the conversion of a game piece to a commodity that irks me.

You are, of course, 100% correct -- what is in a cache is for the finder to keep and do what they will with. Pathetically, many folks do not do what the "spirit" of the game would suggest -- move them and let others enjoy seeing and moving them.

Greed wins.

Placing found coins for sale is pathetic.  IMHO  :D

Maybe we should all start stealing entire caches and listing them as "Pre-made Geocaches -- ready to be placed by YOU!"  -- even the logbooks have signatures!  Get a head-start on placing caches without the dull drugery of actually creating one yourself!

Taking a coin for your collection as the result of a fair trade is somewhat "grey" (trackable-no!, non-trackable-maybe).  However, a "take and sell" is nasty.

A good real-world example would be the sale of art.  If you own a painting and sell it at auction -- cool.  If you steal a painting or acquire said painting from someone else that stole it -- not cool.  War paintings are a good example of this -- I wonder if it is okay to steal from victims of war and sell their possessions on eBay?

It is interesting that folks are willing to sacrifice simple moral values for the sake of getting a few hundred dollars on a little coin.  I think this Indy Diver coin (as an example) shows how shallow this collecting of coins can become.  My collection is huge -- so I'm as obessive as most, but at least the ones I've traded and sold have been honestly acquired and have meaning beyond filling some percieved "slot" in a collection list. :P

Hmmmm....that was quite the rant!  :D

If someone finds a round piece of metal in a cache that has some words and pictures on it and it isn't currency - how the heck are they supposed to know what a fair trade is? (rhetorical) Not all cachers spend too much time in the forums (like a lot of us!), so they aren't as likely to get bitter about caching :D

Can't say we agree with this. True for trading items, but not for travellers.

Look it up if you've never heard about it. Its an eye-opener.  :anibad:

You could end up like me and have the coin you release back in your collection.

My Canadian coin bounced around Arizona, then to Illinois where it disappeared. It reappeared months later in an ebay auction and sold to someone in Denver. From there the coin traveled to Utah where it was picked up. Those people said that they were going to release it in Montana. I forwarded the message to my team mate who just happend to move up to Montana. He made arrangements to get the coin back, as he explained that he was with me when we originally released it in AZ. He had it shipped down to me and it is my most prized coin in my collection. Its seen some wear and tear, but it has a story of just how small this world actually is.

Btw, I was pretty ticked off when I saw my coin was in an auction. And this auction was one way before this current craze started.

You can see the log for this coins journey at http://www.geocoins.ca/track.php and enter coin number 0329.

When I had the coins made there was no way to have it trackable. Moun10Bike had the only trackable coins because he wrote the TB routine for Groundspeak. That is the word I got at the time. It has taken 3 years to get this going but it is finally a good thing so you can make your coins trackable.

I regret that this coin is getting a bad reputation in the forums.Because of one guy putting it on eBay. :laughing:

I still cant say much except that is is an original ID coin #95.

Edited by Indy Diver
I regret that this coin is getting a bad reputation in the forums.Because of one guy putting it on eBay. :lol:

I don't think anyone sees your coin negatively as a result of his auction. If anything, it gives us a little hope that some of these highly sought after coins are still circulating in caches ;) .

Unfortunately, the person who found this one doesn't appreciate the true value, only $$. :lol:

But, that's no reflection on the coin... Heck, I'd still take one!! :lol:

I know that I am not upset with the coin or even with the seller!

It's the whole situation that has me saddened. This coin is a rare geocoin -- no doubt about that. Hence, it has some value to it for collectors. What saddens me is that it is probably the very last of these coins that will ever be seen in a cache.

It's like taking the very last white rhino and shoving it into a zoo -- a private zoo at that. Not only that, but it also is done without even giving back. From what I understand -- the coin was taken from the cache and traded for "something" - what that "something" was is not noted.

This is academic anyhow. I collect geocoins and I also cache geocoins. My real issue is when something is taken and nothing done in return.

Maybe the seller will take some of the money they make and buy some geocoins to place in caches for others to see/trade! That would be nice.

Ok, I know that once a coin is sold/traded/whatever it is now that person's, but somehow I was very annoyed to find 2nd edition Canine coins on ebay today (I just shipped them on Thursday!) It's one thing to sell some off down the road when you realize that you didn't need that many for trade, but to buy them for the specific reason of selling them on ebay and marking them up by 14-15 dollars is just irritating to me.

BTW, for those that haven't received yours yet and don't want to see what they look like stay off ebay!

Ok, I think my rant is done. At the moment I am very tempted to make note of the people who are doing this (yes, I know who you are) and eliminate them from the ordering of the 3rd edition when it becomes available. At the very least I can see limiting them to one coin.

Ok, NOW my rant is done.

Ok, I know that once a coin is sold/traded/whatever it is now that person's, but somehow I was very annoyed to find 2nd edition Canine coins on ebay today (I just shipped them on Thursday!) It's one thing to sell some off down the road when you realize that you didn't need that many for trade, but to buy them for the specific reason of selling them on ebay and marking them up by 14-15 dollars is just irritating to me.

The same thing happened with the New York coins. We packaged them all up and took them to the post office late last night, which means they will likely get mailed out on Monday.

Come home and find that 4 coins have already been sold on eBay with the Buy It Now option for a total of $134. I believe the person ordered 5 coins, therefore they would have paid NYGO $34, then turned around and made a profit of $100 before the coins were even shipped!

I do realize that once the coins are sold, they belong to the buyer to do with as they wish. Even if that means gouging their fellow geocachers with a 500% markup.

That got me thinking though. We sold our coins for very nearly cost. Pretty much just rounded up to the next whole dollar. And for those that use the Groundspeak logo, I believe they are required to sell their coins at cost and are not allowed to profit from the sale. What happens after that though? Would that copyright still hold true for the reselling of the coins? Obviously somebody is profitting off the coins bearing the Groundspeak logo.

I've never sold a coin on Ebay and the above senario sounds a little unseemly to say the least. However, it's these speculators (along with collectors) who financed the coin. You've had their money from jump street, now they are just cashing out. If you wish to avoid this unseemly treatment of your coin offering, there are many ways to structure the sale that will help do so (limits, narrow distribution etc). Of course, it takes more time and effort.

Another thing I've noticed is that the new issues of widely distributing coins seem to be starting at lower levels and droping faster. As more of these speculators enter the market it should cause the spread between the offering prices and the prices on ebay to narrow.

Some MBA student needs to research this stuff. It's actually a mini market economy in action.

Edited by IceCreamMan

Wow! Imagine someone paying $40 for a coin on eBay just to place it in a cache! (that is what these are for isn't it? :unsure: )

I think that the time will come when new releases are set at $12-$20 instead of at cost (logo aside). It's funny -- if I created a coin and offered it at $12 -- folks would get really bent out of shape. If I created a coin, sold it for $5 and then someone else sold it on eBay for $20, it wouldn't really raise too many eyebrows.

Funny stuff.

Wow! Imagine someone paying $40 for a coin on eBay just to place it in a cache! (that is what these are for isn't it?  :unsure: )

I think that the time will come when new releases are set at $12-$20 instead of at cost (logo aside).  It's funny -- if I created a coin and offered it at $12 -- folks would get really bent out of shape.  If I created a coin, sold it for $5 and then someone else sold it on eBay for $20, it wouldn't really raise too many eyebrows.

Funny stuff.

Price the first coin at $5 and the next 4 at $20 :D

Edited by pdxmarathonman
Wow! Imagine someone paying $40 for a coin on eBay just to place it in a cache! (that is what these are for isn't it?  :unsure: )

I think that the time will come when new releases are set at $12-$20 instead of at cost (logo aside).  It's funny -- if I created a coin and offered it at $12 -- folks would get really bent out of shape.  If I created a coin, sold it for $5 and then someone else sold it on eBay for $20, it wouldn't really raise too many eyebrows.

Funny stuff.

Price the first coin at $5 and the next 4 at $20 :D

That's not a bad idea -- except it would guarantee that they would never get placed in caches. (same reason limiting folks to one each stops coins in caches).

However, I think coins in caches are likely 5% or less.

Coins in Caches? Never heard of such a thing!

The state of Delaware is working hard on making this happen! We have over 100+ coins that will be placed in caches soon. We are going to put one coin in every state and some other countries in the next couple of weeks. Detailed instructions are attached to the coins requesting that they are not kept and returned to a cache ASAP.

We are going to follow this up with a release program for the DelUgly within the next couple of weeks. We are really hoping this will help reintroduce the Geocoin to the Geocache.

Wish us luck and follow the coins by watching the Geocaching account "Delaware Geocaching." One coin has already been released.

2005 Connecticut ??? on ebay. Anyone know anything about this coin??

Looks like another for profit geocoin. But I know I've read in more than one thread that trackable coins can't be sold for a profit.

I could be wrong here, but I'm thinking "personal" coins cannot be sold for profit.

Really what's the difference between someone who sells for "profit," or someone who sells at cost so that others may profit? After all it's the original seller who made the investment, both in money and time(which is a huge unrecognized factor), and will do the work to move them along. Also, Groundspeak and the Coiner certainly make a profit! I have personally bought over 30 Geocoins from eBay when I could not find them elsewhere - I gladly paid the inflated price and will do so again. I'm not really looking for a debate here - after all, if you don't agree you don't have to buy it! :laughing: (seriously, no ill will or sarcasm meant - life is too short!)

Enjoy your caching and Merry Christmas!

Dustin

...Really what's the difference between someone who sells for "profit," or someone who sells at cost so that others may profit? ...

The big difference is that when coins are first sold and they are sold very near cost (letting cache orgs make a little to fund operations) some of those coins will end up in caches.

If they are sold straight off for a nice fat markup, far less will end up in caches. I would love it if the caching community decided flat out that commercial coins were not geocoins.

2005 Connecticut ??? on ebay. Anyone know anything about this coin??

It says it's trackable on geocaching.com with its own icon. The tracking number looks like it starts with "CTxxxx". It says there were only 400 made which seems rather odd for a coin with a unique icon unless the rest of the tracking numbers are being saved for future years.

I often thought that it was just a matter of time until someone might make a coin with a unique icon but not have a wide sale to the public, thereby making demand far exceed supply. Then he or she could put some out occasionally on eBay and get some fairly obscene profits. Wonder if this could be that coin?

The big difference is that when coins are first sold and they are sold very near cost (letting cache orgs make a little to fund operations) some of those coins will end up in caches.

If they are sold straight off for a nice fat markup, far less will end up in caches. I would love it if the caching community decided flat out that commercial coins were not geocoins.

YOU SAID IT!! :laughing:

Every single coin I've ever bought(50+) ends up in a cache. I don't like holding them, deleted all of my "touched" coins from my logs after having a moment of clarity, and encourage others to cache their coins.

That having been said... The CT coins are going out 3 ways.

1) We are distributing them (obviously free to finders) in caches.

2) We are distributing them to cachers at CT events and hand-to-hand.

3) We are distributing them on eBay to cover our costs and the cached coins.

You can't please everyone all the time, and we found this to be the best solution.

Bronze = 400

Silver = 300

Gold = 200

Gold/color "X of 100" = 100

We did this out of a love for Geocaching (why else would we have invested so much time and money?); I hope that people can respect that different people do things different ways and that we're all one big family. I hope this final post clears up our intentions! :laughing:

Cache on!

Dustin

I totally agree with doing things whatever way you want.

However, I think I would like to point out that by creating 4 different metals, not offering wide distribution, and selling on eBay -- you have done the exact opposite of your stated intention to create a coin that ends up in caches.

These coins will be heavily collected, the prices on eBay will get silly (MIGO Seasonal silly? -- I bet the golds and gold/color ones do)

The fact they have a custom icon will even add more frenzy to this activity.

These coins will be seen in caches for about 2 weeks -- if that.

Moun10Bike had the only trackable coins because he wrote the TB routine for Groundspeak.

I am just catching up with this thread and wanted to correct some information. I did not write the TB routine for Groundspeak. My coins ended up trackable on Geocaching.com because of a somewhat serendipitous sequence of events - 1) I came out with my coins at the same time that Jeremy came out with Travel Bigs, 2) Jeremy accompanied me on my 100th find when I released the first geocoin and he thought it would be cool if they were tracked like the new TBs, and 3) he wanted to do something as a "thank you" for my supplying some software packages from the company I work for and for helping out with reviewer duties.