Illinois State Geocoin

Cav Scout

I very motivated now to make a Illinois State geocoin. I will wait a week and see if there is indeed someone already making a Illinois state goecoin. After the wait I will start the design of the coin. This will be fun.  :P

Yes, always motivated to stir things up.

So....the org has posted that they are working on it. Can we assume you'll drop this now?

Please take your negative remarks to another forum...

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

It appears clear that the Illinois orginizations would like to issue the Official state coin. It also appears clear that an individual would like to issue a state coin. Let's weigh this. A community issued coin decided upon by the community as a whole, or one issued by a single individual? I kind of miss that poll feature sometimes. Anyone can design and issue a coin (just read these forums), but the community should probably be the ones who decide which coin they want to be "Official" and represent them as a state. Have you looked into how other state coins were decided upon?

It appears clear that the Illinois orginizations would like to issue the Official state coin. It also appears clear that an individual would like to issue a state coin. Let's weigh this. A community issued coin decided upon by the community as a whole, or one issued by a single individual? I kind of miss that poll feature sometimes. Anyone can design and issue a coin (just read these forums), but the community should probably be the ones who decide which coin they want to be "Official" and represent them as a state. Have you looked into how other state coins were decided upon?

Did I miss the thread were 'we the community' decided what made an "offical" coin? and who could issue these "offical" coins? :P

If not then its just: Have checkbook, will Coin

I very motivated now to make a Illinois State geocoin. I will wait a week and see if there is indeed someone already making a Illinois state goecoin. After the wait I will start the design of the coin. This will be fun.  :P

Yes, always motivated to stir things up.

So....the org has posted that they are working on it. Can we assume you'll drop this now?

Please take your negative remarks to another forum...

What's the answer to the question? The state orgs have stated they are interested in producing the official state coin. Are you going ahead with your individual state coin?

Aaah, have no fear, Illinois Cachers! I have a LARGE supply of OFFICIALLY MINTED ILLINOIS GEOCOINS in my possession and am willing to distribute them immediately.

Unfortunately I'm unable to post an image of the coin at the present time, but as a way of describing it, the coin measures a whopping 18 mm across and has been pressed with zinc and plated with copper giving it a bright shiny almost gold appearance. The front (head) of the coin features a picture of none other than Abraham Lincoln (famous President from Illinois who freed the slaves), the back (tail) of the coin features a stylized representation of an ammo box (if you look closely, you can see the handle). There's a Latin phrase on the back that can be interpreted as meaning, "Even though we like many different kinds of caches we all play one game." Due to the size of the coin I had to abbreviate that just a bit.

Since I was unable to make the coins trackable, I'm selling them for ONLY $4.00 a piece. Or If you want 10 I can let you have them for $40.00.

Please feel free to contact me with your orders. Maybe I'm a little biased, but I think this is the perfect geocoin for the great state of Illinois!

Bret

Nothing against the Illinois state orginizations, but one forum started a thread mentioning minting a coin and the thread degraded into who wanted to claim which coin numbers. Another organization had a brief mention in their meeting minutes that they'd discuss it more next month. Looks like if someone is willing to step up to the plate to do this, great. It doesn't appear that there is any urgency by other parties to do it.

I could go and issue a Michigan coin on my own. As long as I were to pay Groundspeak for numbers (if tracking were my intention) and they sold them to me and as long as I didn't refer to MiGO or use their logo, who's to say I can't do it? Obviously I'm not going to compete against MiGO, but where is it written that any organization has exclusive rights to state coins.

If the different state groups were really so 'Gung Ho' about it, there would already be a coin out. And there's always 2006 for a more 'organizational' approach.

I'd say go for it Cav Scout. :P

It appears clear that the Illinois orginizations would like to issue the Official state coin.  It also appears clear that an individual would like to issue a state coin.  Let's weigh this.  A community issued coin decided upon by the community as a whole, or one issued by a single individual?  I kind of miss that poll feature sometimes.  Anyone can design and issue a coin (just read these forums), but the community should probably be the ones who decide which coin they want to be "Official" and represent them as a state.  Have you looked into how other state coins were decided upon?

Did I miss the thread were 'we the community' decided what made an "offical" coin? and who could issue these "offical" coins? :P

If not then its just: Have checkbook, will Coin

Exactly.

All throughout this thread, the organizations have stated they are "working on it" or want to be working on it. Yet an individual is also "working on it". Since this is not a gc.com issued coin, it is up to the "community" to decide if they want to have an "official" coin. Which is why I posed the question "How did the other states handle it?". Most of these coins are just "have checkbook, will coin". It just seems that anyone can make one and anyone will buy it.

Case in point: Screw Geocoins

Aaah, have no fear, Illinois Cachers! I have a LARGE supply of OFFICIALLY MINTED ILLINOIS GEOCOINS in my possession and am willing to distribute them immediately.

Unfortunately I'm unable to post an image of the coin at the present time, but as a way of describing it, the coin measures a whopping 18 mm across and has been pressed with zinc and plated with copper giving it a bright shiny almost gold appearance. The front (head) of the coin features a picture of none other than Abraham Lincoln (famous President from Illinois who freed the slaves), the back (tail) of the coin features a stylized representation of an ammo box (if you look closely, you can see the handle). There's a Latin phrase on the back that can be interpreted as meaning, "Even though we like many different kinds of caches we all play one game." Due to the size of the coin I had to abbreviate that just a bit.

Since I was unable to make the coins trackable, I'm selling them for ONLY $4.00 a piece. Or If you want 10 I can let you have them for $40.00.

Please feel free to contact me with your orders. Maybe I'm a little biased, but I think this is the perfect geocoin for the great state of Illinois!

Bret

I have a very limited number of the RARE "STEEL" edition of this very coin. I'd only be willing to trade for a Pennsylvania geo-note with Ben Franklin on the front.

Please folks, one per person. :P

I'll just toss this in: We just took a poll in my coin club (Pacific Coin Collective) on whether we should automatically buy all 'state' coins, regardless of issuer, or just focus on those by 'official' state groups, and it's been unanimous for the state groups so far, as opposed to individual, unilateral minters. We don't have unlimited funds for coinage and would prefer to focus on state coins produced by the state geocaching groups.

That's NOT to say we wouldn't also purchase a state/regional coin minted by an individual (such as Cav Scout or KirklandExplorers), just that we wouldn't do it automatically, we'd first vote on it as a 'special case.'

That's the 2 cents from PCC. :P

The whole intent of this thread was my offer to make a state geocoin for Illinois. It was for a good purpose with no intent to make anyone mad. Up until now I never heard of anyone or organization wanting to do such a task. I guess it was secret squirrel stuff.

All of a sudden organizations I never heard of started coming out of the woodwork claiming they had first dibs on making the coin. I even had geocachers who are not from Illinois contacting me and telling me I would go to geocaching He** if I make the coin on my own.

I will stand down from this project unless there is a vote on who is to do this project. I was willing to take my own money and make about 300 coins and sell them for a price to break even on my costs. All I wanted to do was make a coin for my home state. It was not going to have my name on it. It was going to be all about my great home state "The land of Lincon" Illinnois.

Now my question is.... Is there going to be some geo comittee that will tell us the geocachers who support this sport who can make what coins from now on? Will there be a restriction on how many personal geocoins we can make now too? Will people get mad if my coin is not round or looks better than someone elses coin?

"Ok Illinois geocaching organizations and groups" The ball is in your hands now. You have made it perfectly clear you want to make the "Official" Illinois state geocoin.

When can we expect to see the coins?

I will order 10 coins.

Recon by forums...

Recon by forums...

Isn't that supposed to be recon by fire? Oh wait, same difference. :P

It seems that there are issues here being discussed beyond just the IL coin, so perhaps this needs another thread.

I would be helpful for TPTB to make clear their views and or policies, even if those are just that they'll let the market sort itself out. This does pose the question of what happens if an individual - regardless of intention - beats state organizations the punch of asking for the official icon and tracking numbers for state coins, as opposed to personal coins. On a related note, so far as I know nielsenc's McKinley coins are a one-man show which in my book makes them personal coins but it sounds like they're getting their own icon and prefix? If there's a specific Groundspeak policy on these issues, publicizing it could cut down on confusion and controversy.

I think that if Cavscout had just taken the same route as KSwader and made a personal coin with a state-specific logo on one side, and made it clear it wasn't an official state coin, most of the market wouldn't have cared and would buy up many hundred with nary a second thought. But it does seem that if you go the solo route at least three coin groups (speaking for probably what, 200-250 coins?) are quite likely to opt out.

I will stand down from this project unless there is a vote on who is to do this project.

This is all I was asking for - an answer to the question.

As far as the topic goes - yes, I think it's a bigger question than this one state/person goes. Who has the "right" to do an "official" state coin?

Perhaps a new thread is in order for this topic?

ON TOPIC: Let's hope the regional organizations can use this as a fire-starter to move on thier designs/discussions.

As far as the topic goes - yes, I think it's a bigger question than this one state/person goes. Who has the "right" to do an "official" state coin?

Perhaps opions would mean more if they came from geocachers in Illinois... Let the geocachers from Illinois decide.

This is focused on the Illinois state coin...

Edited by Cav Scout

Ok, Since the disscussion of the Illinois geocoin has been thrown around and few Illinois Oragnizations have mentioned that the coin will be made, I am wondering when will this happen...

I closed the topic in hope that the Illinois geocoin would get some momentum. Is it a secret? Let me know please.

There is no mention of this in the Mid West Forums.

Edited by Cav Scout
Ok, Since the disscussion of the Illinois geocoin has been thrown around and few Illinois Oragniztions have mention that the coin will be made, I am wondering when will this happen...

I closed the topic in hope that the Illinois geocoin would get some momentum. Is it a secret? Let me know please.

I asked the same question. Go here to see what reply I got.

http://www.gonil.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?...926dd3966747a58

I have no involvement in any coins from anwhere, but I want to point out that there don't seem to be ANY rules about where or when new coins have to be discussed or announced.

I have no involvement in any coins from anwhere, but I want to point out that there don't seem to be ANY rules about where or when new coins have to be discussed or announced.

There are no rules about what HAS to be done - it's a matter of respect.

My wife used to live in Hawaii and we go there every year on our anniversay - I wouldn't presume to take the lead on making a Hawaii State coin, though.

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean that you SHOULD.

Please feel free to contact me with your orders.  Maybe I'm a little biased, but I think this is the perfect geocoin for the great state of Illinois!

Bret

I have a very limited number of the RARE "STEEL" edition of this very coin. I'd only be willing to trade for a Pennsylvania geo-note with Ben Franklin on the front.

Please folks, one per person. :santa:

OMG! TOO FUNNY! LAUGHING OUT LOUD! CLUTCHING CHEST! CALL 911!

Seriously though I laughed! (just glad no one was home to hear) :santa:

Larry (lpyankeefan)

There are no rules about what HAS to be done - it's a matter of respect.

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean that you SHOULD.

You may want to check out the "Whining Thread"

Oh my god - give it a rest.

Feel free to contact me directly if you want to continue to take shots at me, but try to show a little respect to everybody else who doesn't want to keep seeing these petty shots.

On topic please.