Illinois State Geocoin

Cav Scout

This discussion appears in the GONIL forums:

http://www.gonil.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?...der=asc&start=0

It doesn't look like they are any closer to having a coin than they were back in July. Unless they've taken the design discussion off-line.

edit: Grandpa Kim and I both did the same research <_<

The discussion is going on in closed forums and thru emails between the organizations.

Ok, I am going to go ahead and design a Illinois state geocoin with the help of another cacher from Illinois :unsure: . This will take me as little as a month to accomplish. I will keep you all posted on the progress of the coin.

Three coins in one month and all of them designed in Mosul, Iraq :unsure: .

Edited by Cav Scout
...why not make two state geocoins...

Any cacher, at any time, for any reason, can make a geocoin. Just because we all can make a coin doesn't mean that we should. There is a limit to the number of coins people can take, and how many from each state they can accept. Especially if you happen to enjoy the challenge of completing your collection by finds, trades, and purchases.

Yes you can make another IL coin, and I can make another still. To what purpose? I think it's just abusing the good will of the people who enjoy geocoins since you have to borrow the money from them to make the coin. It also dilutes the efforts of the organizations that are already doing the job.

That's exactly why there shouldn't be two Illinois coins.

I am interested in making the Illinios geocoin because there never has been any mention of any such task.

There have only been rumors of a coin being made.

There has never been any mention by me of borrowing money from anyone for any coin I have ever made.(Put that outhouse rumor to rest please) My geocoins are paid with my own money. There was one offer from a great geocacher to purchase all of the gold OIFGA coins for the geocaching veterans.Other than that I have purchased all of my geocoins with my own money.

If there is a project out there to make a geocoin then by all means say so and make it happen...

Where is it written that each state can only accept so many geocoins?

I will buy five if you are selling them.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned in the forums, don't assume that the idea isn't being worked on.

As a board member of the Central Illinois Geocachers Association I can state the the idea has been discussed. I also know that the Chicago area group (GONIL) has been talking about it. I'm not sure if the Southern IL group (LEGS) has discussed it yet or not.

I do believe that a "state" coin should come from either a state organization (IL doesn't have one yet) or from the organizations within the state working together. The coin needs to represent the entire state, not just part of it (all city or all rural, etc.).

If you want to make a coin, go for it. If it is a design I like, I'll buy one. However, I don't believe an individual should produce a coin that purports to represent the entire state.

If you want to make a coin, go for it. If it is a design I like, I'll buy one. However, I don't believe an individual should produce a coin that purports to represent the entire state.

I agree with this statement 100% I think a true State coin would be one that is produced by a group within that state. If I like the design of your coin, I might buy one, but I would consider the coins that the actual Illinois geocaching groups are working on to be the official State coins that I would want for my collection.

As a board member of the Central Illinois Geocachers Association I can state the the idea has been discussed. I also know that the Chicago area group (GONIL) has been talking about it. I'm not sure if the Southern IL group (LEGS) has discussed it yet or not.

So in other words it has just been discussed. This is why I want to make a state geocoin for illinois. Nobody is taking charge and making it happen. Illinois is my home state too. It does not take a organization to make a coin.

This is my offer to you then... Step up to the plate and take charge of making the coin and I will had this project over to you. I will not be upset at all. You can see by interest that there are several geocachers intertested in the coin.

Standing by...

Put us down for 5 geocoins. Thanks.

When the geocaching groups in Illinois get it together I'll purchase theirs' too. :rolleyes: I am still not sure who has the "right" to claim that they are the official issuers of a State geocoin. I do not think there are any "rules."

I'm pulling my stated interest for 65 coins, I'll read the threads more thoroughly in future(which requires way too much time as it is).

Let's hope the regional groups can get an official statement out as to their intent as IMO there should only be one official state coin per year and that coin should be produced by the regional groups within the state rather than an individual. Otherwise this collecting hobby quickly becomes an endless money pit.

I very motivated now to make a Illinois State geocoin. I will wait a week and see if there is indeed someone already making a Illinois state goecoin. After the wait I will start the design of the coin. This will be fun. :unsure:

Yes, always motivated to stir things up.

So....the org has posted that they are working on it. Can we assume you'll drop this now?

I very motivated now to make a Illinois State geocoin. I will wait a week and see if there is indeed someone already making a Illinois state goecoin. After the wait I will start the design of the coin. This will be fun.  :unsure:

Yes, always motivated to stir things up.

So....the org has posted that they are working on it. Can we assume you'll drop this now?

It's not all a bad thing that he's stirring the pot. This puts a little more impetus on the Illinois organizations to get an Illinois coin out to the world... which probably should have happened sooner than this.

Cav Scout just saw a need and offered to fill it. I appreciate his willingness to step aside and give the Illinois orgs a chance to get this done.

... I appreciate his willingness to step aside and give the Illinois orgs a chance to get this done.

If that was true then this post would of been where he stepped aside.

Instead he stated his terms.

I'm glad this one came along because this is one of the geocoin issues that needs to be settled. These kinds of discussions need to take place and Cav Scout is a great lightning rod.