Illinois State Geocoin

Cav Scout

Ok its that time again to start drawing up a new geocoin. Illinois (my home state) does not have a geocoin that I am aware of. I am offering to design and start production of the coin. I do not want to be in charge of collecting money or the shipping and handling of the coin. Any offers from a Illinois geocacher who want to help out on this project?

To me it depends on the artwork, whether it will be gc.com trackable and the price. I think it would be best if you had artwork first than start a thread for orders.

Making it GC.com would raise the price of the coin for sure. Depending on the number made would affect the price also. I'm figure the most the coin could cost without shipping is 8 dollars.

Would geocachers want a round coin or the coin in the shape of Illinois?

To me it depends on the artwork, whether it will be gc.com trackable and the price.  I think it would be best if you had artwork first than start a thread for orders.

I agree......first formulate a design and the artwork and then the rest will fall into place.

Maybe ask some of us folks born in Illinois for some suggestions regarding the design?

I like the idea of a coin in the shape of Illinois!

Edited by Cache & Keri

:ph34r:

In my opinion when the coins are odd shaped the people buy them better. Look at the S.D. coin. I don't think you will have a problem selling them. I think if they are trackable and also if they have an icon on GC.com that makes it even better. you might want to talk to the people that did they maryland coin they had an icon and they are trackable and from what i remember they were not that expensive.

Being from Illinois orginally, I believe that one thing to keep in mind is to make sure the coin represents the whole state and not just Chicago. I would be in for buying a couple, more if they are NOT gc trackable.

Besides Chicago, there's more to Illinois than Lincoln, too. :ph34r:

While using the "Land of Lincoln" slogan would be fine, I'd rather not see his head on the coin. It's enough on currency and our license plates! :ph34r:

I traded for my North Dakota coin, does anyone remember how much they were?  The other thing is that I would like to see coins increasing in size, the coins seem to be smaller now.  I was a little amazed when I received my NJ coin in a trade, a bit  small for the price.

I think most round coins you see today are 1.5" in diameter. Some coins, like the Indiana coin, are thicker than most; the Calgery coins seem thinner. That may be because of different manufacturers. I have seen some personal coins that are larger than standard. Shydog's coin, I believe, is 1.75". It has a definate heft to it compared to others. The Germany coins are also larger in diameter. The ND coin is a little larger than normal but also seems to be thicker than standard. Realize that bigger and thicker all mean more $.

GC trackable seems to be popular, although I don't know how many people intend to drop these coins in caches. I'm not sure of the advantage of this other than giving GC a bucket of money. Seems like people who activate their coins do so and hold them letting people log the coin to get the icon in their profile. Absolutly numbered and dated, though.

A LE (limited edition) series will sell more coins to individuals who collect. It could either be something similar to the Alaska coins (solid silver) or just the same coin in a different metal, like the Tennessee series (pewter, silver, gold in diminishing numbers released).

I also agree with limiting the number of coins to individuals. So often the coins sell out in a matter of hours and you see a lot of people buying 10 or more, only to see them turn up on Ebay the next week, claiming they are 'RARE'. Only rare thing is the few people sitting on a pile of coins making a lot of money off other cachers who can't check the forums 10 times a day to place an order before they're all sold out. :ph34r: Totally frustrating.

Thanks for your efforts in putting another state coin on the market. I'd be intrested in 2 or 3 coins (my collection and to trade - no Ebay here). I would also be intrested an a LE coin.

I think that an organization in a state should be in charge of producing a coin for that state.

Some caching friends in Central Illinois mentioned several Illinois organizations are coordinating plans for their state coin. Just keep in mind, just because they don't post here, doesn't mean it's not happening.

I think that an organization in a state should be in charge of producing a coin for that state.

Some caching friends in Central Illinois mentioned several Illinois organizations are coordinating plans for their state coin. Just keep in mind, just because they don't post here, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Thanks for the heads up. That's the coin I'd like to see come out.

Being born and raised in the heart of Illinois and spending my youth detasseling corn in the Summer makes me just as qualified as an organization to design and produce a state geocoin :ph34r: .

No one said that there can only be one coin per state, look at PA, we have two different organizations making coins.

Sure why not make two state geocoins. I'm sure geocachers would be interested in them. Especially if each one is very different from the other. There are sevral good ideas out there for the Illinois geocoin. If I really put my mind to it I probably could get a geocoin designed and made within a month.

...why not make two state geocoins...

Any cacher, at any time, for any reason, can make a geocoin. Just because we all can make a coin doesn't mean that we should. There is a limit to the number of coins people can take, and how many from each state they can accept. Especially if you happen to enjoy the challenge of completing your collection by finds, trades, and purchases.

Yes you can make another IL coin, and I can make another still. To what purpose? I think it's just abusing the good will of the people who enjoy geocoins since you have to borrow the money from them to make the coin. It also dilutes the efforts of the organizations that are already doing the job.

That's exactly why there shouldn't be two Illinois coins.

...why not make two state geocoins...

Any cacher, at any time, for any reason, can make a geocoin. Just because we all can make a coin doesn't mean that we should. There is a limit to the number of coins people can take, and how many from each state they can accept. Especially if you happen to enjoy the challenge of completing your collection by finds, trades, and purchases.

Yes you can make another IL coin, and I can make another still. To what purpose? I think it's just abusing the good will of the people who enjoy geocoins since you have to borrow the money from them to make the coin. It also dilutes the efforts of the organizations that are already doing the job.

That's exactly why there shouldn't be two Illinois coins.

I am interested in making the Illinios geocoin because there never has been any mention of any such task.

There have only been rumors of a coin being made.

There has never been any mention by me of borrowing money from anyone for any coin I have ever made.(Put that outhouse rumor to rest please) My geocoins are paid with my own money. There was one offer from a great geocacher to purchase all of the gold OIFGA coins for the geocaching veterans.Other than that I have purchased all of my geocoins with my own money.

If there is a project out there to make a geocoin then by all means say so and make it happen...

Where is it written that each state can only accept so many geocoins?

I will buy five if you are selling them.

Edited by Cav Scout

Lets keep this topic focused on making a geocoin and not make false statements about borrowing money from geocachers to make a geocoin. If you don't like how many geocoins are made for each state then just pick and chose which geocoin you want.

Edited by Cav Scout

Basically, an organization is a group of people intentionally organized to accomplish an overall, common goal or set of goals. Organizations can range in size from two people to tens of thousands. So I am curious as to why someone would think that because a group is formed that they are the almighty source. I could setup a website with forums and newsgroups logins the whole shebang in about 3 hours. Then have my group of local cachers register online as members. Setup a few quick by-laws and wala I am an organization. But wait I don't need a website to be an organization, that is just visual fluff. Why should one group be able to dictate to another group how to do anything. I always look at a individuals profile and I see that you are a premium member which means that you help support the website that allows us to do what we do. That makes you part of a very large organization :rolleyes: . You have a decent cache find count so I see you are dedicated to the sport. I think it is great that you want to take on the task of creating a state coin and I say go for it. People can always choose not to buy the coin if it offends them. Put me down for a couple, I am sure that whatever you come up with will be great.

Lets keep this topic focused on making a geocoin and not make[ing]... statements about borrowing money from geocachers to make a geocoin....

Lets clear that up. Will you be ordering the coins out of pocket then sell them and recoop your out of pocket expenses or will you be having people pre-order and pay up front? The latter is borrowing money to make the coin. The former isn't. Most coin makers borrow money perhaps you are the exception, but 1000 possible coins (or more since IL is a large state) is an expensive exception.

Lets keep this topic focused on making a geocoin and not make[ing]... statements about borrowing money from geocachers to make a geocoin....

Lets clear that up. Will you be ordering the coins out of pocket then sell them and recoop your out of pocket expenses or will you be having people pre-order and pay up front? The latter is borrowing money to make the coin. The former isn't. Most coin makers borrow money perhaps you are the exception, but 1000 possible coins (or more since IL is a large state) is an expensive exception.

Next slide please... :rolleyes:

Our group (GONIL) is planning on issuing an Illinois geocoin in conjunction with 1 or more of the other organizations in our state.

When will this happen? Do you have a tenative date? If not I may go ahead and start the Illinois state geocoin.

They've been at it for 3 months and haven't done anything except discuss tracking numbers.

Our group (GONIL) is planning on issuing an Illinois geocoin in conjunction with 1 or more of the other organizations in our state.

When will this happen? Do you have a tenative date? If not I may go ahead and start the Illinois state geocoin.

They've been at it for 3 months and haven't done anything except discuss tracking numbers.

That's an organization vs. Individual thing. I could submit a design tomorrow. However an organization typically works via concencus. That takes time, sometimes a lot of it.