Longest Hike Your Ever Made To A Cache

TeamAO

I walked across a levee to get my first cache, I think round trip may have been close to a mile.

I once walked down a runway at midday (hot sun) to log 3 benchmarks. I think that totaled over a mile.

I have a cache Idea where you would have to walk at least 2-3 miles to get it. (round trip)

My longest cahe walk was from Builth Wells, Wales to the Llanbedr Fells cache, about a 23 mile round trip. It was mostly a road walk, because I had no access to a car that day. Other long walks have been in the 8-10 mile range, with one (not soley for caching though) across the Maryland section of the Appalachian Trail -- about 40 some miles over a four days.

Room with a view is one of the newer long (20 miles RT) caches in my area.

Ride the Rat is a nice long (28 miles RT) trip up through a beautiful area.

A Measure of Wisdom is a puzzle that then leads you on a 24 mile round trip cache adventure.

There are several others in the area that are similar to theses, but slightly shorter hikes. One of the longest hikes I have ever done for a cache was up to the Politically Incorrect cache and out another trail to the 746 cache. I think it was about 10 miles, but it was beautiful and I really wish to do more hikes like it.

Politically Incorrect

-Jen

Edited by Jennifer&Dean

I estimate about 6 miles. The only only required ~1.75mi each way, but on the way back I wasn't paying attention to the gps too much since I thought I knew the way back. But missed a turn and had do some back tracking and a short cut to get back to the correct parking area.

Turtle Head Peak, located just outside of Las Vegas its a 5 mile round trip hike with a 2000 ft. elevation change. What makes it really tricky is sections of the travel are covered with loose gravel and makes keeping your footing a little tricky. Great view, glad I did it.

In support of Magellan315's post, I would put a mile of desert mountains against 5 miles of groomed mountain trail any time. And when you mix scree with cactus and the desert sun.... you folks who hike and complain of poor reception among the trees should consider yourselves lucky.

Otherwise, 2.2 miles to Indecision Peak in 9 hours is the most strenuous to so far.

Edited by Moose Mob
Turtle Head Peak, located just outside of Las Vegas its a 5 mile round trip hike with a 2000 ft. elevation change. What makes it really tricky is sections of the travel are covered with loose gravel and makes keeping your footing a little tricky. Great view, glad I did it.

In support of Magellan315's post, I would put a mile of desert mountains against 5 miles of groomed mountain trail any time. And when you mix scree with cactus and the desert sun.... you folks who hike and complain of poor reception among the trees should consider yourselves lucky.

Otherwise, 2.2 miles to Indecision Peak in 9 hours is the most strenuous to so far.

I've hiked mountians and trails in Nevada, New Jersey and, PA. Got to agree with Moose Mob. Its a lot tougher in the desert, trails aren't as well groomed and brushing up against any plant in the desert leaves throny seeds and quills on you. Which you can never quite remove.

Sometime in the next two years I want to go to Denver to try out some of Tahosa's caches.

Edited by magellan315

Although it is not the farthest hike to any US cache by far (there are many with far longer hikes), I feel my recent Psycho Backcountry Cache #4 -- High Country Cave cache (GCQNT7) is notable for distance, elevation change, and final elevation. It involves a 3.2+ mile hike one-way to reach the cave mouth, starting from the trailhead parking lot, which is at about 7,000 feet, and climbing to almost 9,000 feet at the cave's mouth. The last few hundred feet involve some step ascents, and the last leg of the journey to the cave's mouth involves a near-vertical climb to the mouth in the cave in the face of the waterfall which emerges from the cave. The trek once inside the cave is less than a quarter-mile, but is, of course, spelunking. There is a cold wind of about 20 mph which blows from the cave mouth at all times, and that wind velocity increases quite a bit in the narrower tunnels and squeezes!

A normal day of hiking is usually around 8-10 tough miles (lots of elevation change). I've made a handful of multi-day backpacking trips, most solo, and often just to get one or two caches. The longest so far was 4 days and about 42+ miles to get first to find on one cache. It rained on me 3 of the 4 days which helped in my decision to cut 4 extra miles I was planning for a second FTF.

This is my favorite way of geocaching; I only wish there were more people placing caches in such out of the way places!

Although it is not the farthest hike to any US cache by far (there are many with far longer hikes), I feel my recent Psycho Backcountry Cache #4 -- High Country Cave cache (GCQNT7) is notable for distance, elevation change, and final elevation. It involves a 3.2+ mile hike one-way to reach the cave mouth, starting from the trailhead parking lot, which is at about 7,000 feet, and climbing to almost 9,000 feet at the cave's mouth. The last few hundred feet involve some step ascents, and the last leg of the journey to the cave's mouth involves a near-vertical climb to the mouth in the cave in the face of the waterfall which emerges from the cave. The trek once inside the cave is less than a quarter-mile, but is, of course, spelunking. There is a cold wind of about 20 mph which blows from the cave mouth at all times, and that wind velocity increases quite a bit in the narrower tunnels and squeezes!

I done some looking into on this cache. The topos and other maps really do the rating justice. I may be out this way next summer. I would love to snag that cache!