*** This Just In***

RocketMan

Is it true that there is a cache at the end of the rainbow?

d245a056-dc05-4ec6-a9ea-33e9d89c4677.jpg

Double Rainbow in Mission Gorge (MTRP)

Love it!

936d4fbb-5b26-4717-9976-f6c7cba1373a.jpg

I once had an extensive slide collection of rainbows including several doubles. Yes, there's

probably a cache at the end of this rainbow but you better keep your head down when you

score it so's the ranger doesn't catch you off trail.

Edited by SD Rowdies
This just in ...

87a5c03c-2208-42f8-868e-a1f05a5b8216.jpg

Honk if you know where this is. Also note the wooden hiking stick.

Honk! That's an easy one for all of us North County folks! I will refrain from a funny thing I was going to say about the woodie. :rolleyes:

Not Hodges!

ATT I'll bet.

Yes indeed, Anderson Truck Trail with the lovely, the vivacious Splashette.

Love it, a Photoshop paradise.

Lookinig into shadows is always so rewarding. The colors are stunning.

For the record:

Metal: Chuy!, Duncan!, Flagman, Sledhead

Wood: Map4Navigation, Auld Pro

Sans stick: CTYankee9, Habu!

Yeah, I noticed ...

06257638-83b9-42d2-9062-dba3774554c5.jpg

... but what about the socks?

369a9304-0998-4bf8-9843-15a514b9c3a1.jpg

Beautiful shots, thank you very much.

Edited by SD Rowdies

For the record:

Yeah, I noticed ...

Thank You for the compliments Harmon, like I said I am not the best with the photo-editing software, yet. Also, thanks for cleaning them up some, it is nice to know what is supposed to be in the shot or at least what I saw through the viewfinder is actually there, even if the camera couldn't handle the exposure fully or that I can't bring it back out.

You are welcome to browse through the rest of them at:

My Photobucket

If you get bored, there are some more there to play with, I know it is work and you tried to cover it before in another thread. But, if you don't mind posting just an outline of what you did for enhancements to the photos, I know I would appreciate it as would others. Not the settings really, just what feature you are using to get it to the final product that you post here.

Just for info; I use Paint Shop Pro XI by Corel { used to be JASC}, although I do have one of the later PhotoShop versions, CS I think or something like that. I am just not as quick or familiar with that one as I am with the Paint Shop program.

Here may be a toughy, at night too far from the flash:

PC070073.jpg

I wasn't keping track of socks, most of us had on long pants for the weather, although one person had them displayed:

PC070042.jpg

But he was in in specs, by wearing the proper length sock for hiking shoes :)

For the record:

Yeah, I noticed ...

I wasn't keping track of socks, most of us had on long pants for the weather, although one person had them displayed:

PC070042.jpg

But he was in in specs, by wearing the proper length sock for hiking shoes :)

Keep up the good work men!

Looking into shadows is always so rewarding. The colors are stunning.

For the record:

Yeah, I noticed ... but what about the socks?

I wasn't keeping track of socks, most of us had on long pants for the weather, although one person had them displayed:

PC070042.jpg

But he was in specs, by wearing the proper length sock for hiking shoes :(

Well o.k. on the approval rating but what kind of funny business was going on between those two guys in the background?

Only one reason I can think of for putting on a pair of rubber gloves.

Turn your head and cough?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Looking into shadows is always so rewarding. The colors are stunning.

For the record:

Yeah, I noticed ... but what about the socks?

I wasn't keeping track of socks, most of us had on long pants for the weather, although one person had them displayed:

PC070042.jpg

But he was in specs, by wearing the proper length sock for hiking shoes :D

Well o.k., but what kind of funny business was going on between those two guys in the background? Only one reason I can

think of for putting on a pair of rubber gloves.

Turn your head and cough?

Ahhh. That explains FlagMan's proctective, er protective posture and the reason for his apparent quick escape. :(

You are welcome to browse through the rest of them at:

My Photobucket

If you get bored, there are some more there to play with, I know it is work and you tried to cover it before in another thread. But, if you don't mind posting just an outline of what you did for enhancements to the photos, I know I would appreciate it as would others. Not the settings really, just what feature you are using to get it to the final product that you post here.

Just for info; I use Paint Shop Pro XI by Corel {used to be JASC}, although I do have one of the later PhotoShop versions, CS I think or something like that. I am just not as quick or familiar with that one as I am with the Paint Shop program.

Here may be a toughy, at night too far from the flash:

PC070073.jpg

For sure a tough challenge to recover detail from that shot as it is almost completely blocked

in the background and almost completely burned in the pack-frame reflections. On the other

hand it is often surprising to see what can be recovered from very dark and very bright 8-bit

image data. Mostly just never give up on a blocked or burned image.

c4e0b6be-e300-4fcd-b867-3f7407d4bbc5.jpg

My posted Photoshop Lesson 16 offers a pretty good rundown on color management and shar-

pening but here's the rough outline that you asked for. You'll see that the outline refers to Lab

color mode and access to color channels and so applies to recent Photoshop versions from

something like version 7.0 through CS2 and CS3.

Anyway here's the summary of major steps used to enchance photos seen on this thread and

others.

A. Open an image, covert it to Lab color mode and then duplicate (Ctrl-J) the Background layer.

B. Use the Curves dialog (Ctrl-M) to enhance (increase the slope) of the lightness and the two

(a and b ) color channels. (Lots of particulars here that I won't go into.)

C. Select the a and b color channels together and use the Filter/Blur/Surface Blur filter at about

Radius = 10 and Threshold = 15.

D. Select only the L channel and use the Filter/Sharpen/Unsharp Mask at about Amount = 100

to 150, Radius = 1.0, and Threshold = 10.

E. Convert the image back to RGB color mode.

F. If human faces appear in the image and they are shadowed it might help to create a new layer

and then select Image/Apply Image with Souce/Channel set to Red and after clicking

OK set the blend mode to Luminosity.

Just refer to Lesson 16 for step-by-step insctructions and ask questions as needed. Lots of practice

of course.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thanks for sharing your photo gallery. Here's one of your gallery shots, before and after,

that illustrates the benefits of image enhancement quite well.

3e248b03-c5cb-46e5-a221-b3d88ef1359e.jpg

c88ba6bf-447b-415b-8046-80363873ae09.jpg

A camera set for automatic exposure will usually produce such a shot. The camera naturally

adjusts for the brightness of the sky at the expense of the darker foreground. Of course one

could prelock exposure to the dark foreground but that's likely to burn-in the bright sky.

One approach in the field is to shoot two frames, one prelocked for sky and another prelocked

for dark foreground. With Photoshop one would simply blend the two images for desired result.

Trouble is to do it right one should be shooting from a tripod so that the two frames line up

precisely. Of course a tripod is out of the question for hiking done for reasons other than for

photography. To be honest I have accomplished this approach quite nicely with a hand-held

camera but it takes some fiddling to get it right with Photoshop.

Such shots illustrate so well that the human eye makes dynamic adjustments when viewing a

scene whereas a still-image camera does not. No doubt you've noticed that I can't resist

enhancing images of this sort. Yes, of course, I do realize that doing so can be an annoyance

to people that post images on the San Diego Forum threads. O well.

By the way, nice job on training your dawg to carry part of your load. I've been working on

similar training for Splashette. ... progress is slow but I remain hopeful.

Sweet ol' Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thanks for sharing your photo gallery. Here's one of your gallery shots, before and after,

that illustrates the benefits of image enhancement quite well.

A camera set for automatic exposure will usually produce such a shot. The camera naturally

adjusts for the brightness of the sky at the expense of the darker foreground. Of course one

could prelock exposure to the dark foreground but that's likely to burn-in the bright sky.

One approach in the field is to shoot two frames, one prelocked for sky and another prelocked

for dark foreground. With Photoshop one would simply blend the two images for desired result.

Trouble is to do it right one should be shooting from a tripod so that the two frames line up

precisely. Of course a tripod is out of the question for hiking done for reasons other than for

photography. To be honest I have accomplished this approach quite nicely with a hand-held

camera but it takes some fiddling to get it right with Photoshop.

Such shots illustrate so well that the human eye makes dynamic adjustments when viewing a

scene whereas a still-image camera does not. No doubt you've noticed that I can't resist

enhancing images of this sort. Yes, of course, I do realize that doing so can be an annoyance

to people that post images on the San Diego Forum threads. O well.

By the way, nice job on training your dawg to carry part of your load. I've been working on

similar training for Splashette. ... progress is slow but I remain hopeful.

Sweet ol' Harmon

Harmon feel free to edit to your heart's content for anything I may post or that you dig-up, and thanks for the in-depth anaysis of the shots. I have noticed going from computer to computer here at home that the settings of the monitor's gamma, brightness, contrast, and what-not have a large impact on the image as viewed. Each one is a little different and the main one I use; actually I have corrected to showing the photo pretty good for color now.

Piglit only carries her own stuff, not mine! But, the trick, for her at least, is lots of treats for a job well done, and a firm hand when the job isn't so well done. For her its milkbones and a rolled newspaper, but I am sure the Dairy Queen treats, if continued, will work for Splashette :( !

Piglit only carries her own stuff, not mine! But, the trick, for her at least, is lots of treats for a job well done, and a firm hand when the job isn't so well done. For her its milkbones and a rolled newspaper, but I am sure the Dairy Queen treats, if continued, will work for Splashette :D !

Durn-straight I only carry my own stuff BiPed, bad enough you have fell out of training and stopped carrying it for me. Oh did I mention that those rolled newspapers have been pre-moistened by myself before you get a hold of them for your reading pleasure :mad:

:(:) Dairy Queen!!!! :):D Did someone mention ice-cream?

Edited by Piglit9

Harmon feel free to edit to your heart's content for anything I may post or that you dig-up, and thanks for the in-depth anaysis of the shots. I have noticed going from computer to computer here at home that the settings of the monitor's gamma, brightness, contrast, and what-not have a large impact on the image as viewed. Each one is a little different and the main one I use; actually I have corrected to showing the photo pretty good for color now.

Yeah, for sure, adjusting display characteristics is a good thang. Trouble is you need one of them fancy electronic calibratorator thingies to do the job perfectly. ... but then, with my old eyeballs perfect ain't possible.

Edited by SD Rowdies

:P:D

This just in ...

4bde6eef-dd8f-4dc5-a902-3852e18b70a3.jpg

Honk if you know what kind of pie it was.

:D HONK HONK :)

P.S. My new hiking partner is going to be Piglet!!! No more swatting us with newspapers, making us carry all of our stuff as well as yours, AND.......we're going to Dairy Queen whenever we want to!!!

Splashette :D

Impossible Pumpkin?

:unsure::(

This just in ...

:D HONK HONK :D

P.S. My new hiking partner is going to be Piglet!!! No more swatting us with newspapers,

making us carry all of our stuff as well as yours, AND.......we're going to Dairy Queen

whenever we want to!!!

Splashette :laughing:

Why Splashette darlin' ... how you talk ... and me a poor ol' man just now in the early-teens

of my seventies. Look at that face ... a study in sweet innocence.

Edited by SD Rowdies

:(:D

This just in ...

:laughing: HONK HONK :D

P.S. My new hiking partner is going to be Piglet!!! No more swatting us with newspapers, making us carry all of our stuff as well as yours, AND.......we're going to Dairy Queen whenever we want to!!!

Splashette :(

PA010026b.jpg

:(:D Mmmmmmmm ice cream :unsure::D

I'm with you, let's dump these newspaper wielding, Sherpa loving taskmasters and spend our geocaching time looking under banana splits at all the Dairy Queens for micros!!!!

:D:unsure:

This just in ...

:( HONK HONK :(

Splashette :D

PA010026b.jpg

:laughing::D Mmmmmmmm ice cream :D:(

I'm with you, let's dump these newspaper wielding, Sherpa loving taskmasters and spend our geocaching time looking under banana splits at all the Dairy Queens for micros!!!!

Uh-oh, aced out by a dawg and a bannana split.

In the old days they really and truly split the bannana into the three natural divisions as opposed to the crude present-day practice

of slicing it with a knife. Those were the days my friend ....

Edited by SD Rowdies
:D Maybe that will be my next series..micros at all the Dairy Queens. I could start with a fake cherry. The ideas are endless. at least Harmon and Piglet would love them. :D
I really liked the Banana Splits back when I was knee high to a frog! :D

26ed53b0-9c5b-4301-bd90-5b0c0888208c.jpg

Anybody else remember these guys?

Edited by TrailGators

Here's what I wanna know ...

PA010026b.jpg

How is it that Piglit looks so clean and unblemished while Geocaching? By the time I've scored one find my clothes are torn, my

arms are bleeding, my nose needs blowing, my hair is full of twigs and leaves, and my pants pockets are full of dirt and gravel.

It's not fair, no wait, ... this belongs on the Whiners Thread doesn't it?

Edited by SD Rowdies
:D Maybe that will be my next series..micros at all the Dairy Queens. I could start with a fake cherry. The ideas are endless. at least Harmon and Piglet would love them. :D

I do!

Do you remember their song?

I don't, but could you hum a few bars?

I do!

Do you remember their song?

I don't, but could you hum a few bars?

OK I hummed a few bars. Now do you remember?