*** This Just In***

RocketMan

I'm still using an older GPS so I can't do the POI thing. The Colorado is not getting good reports in the main forums so I'm holding off on those...

I've used the Colorado 300, loaded with City Nav and Topo 2008, on the last 3 hikes I did. On the last hike, FlagMan took his 400T. Neither of us had any major problems. I've found every cache I looked for on these hikes, and only had a couple of minor glitches that were resolved in the field. As long as you are willing to use high capacity NiMH batteries, and have installed the latest updates from Garmin, there is no reason that the Colorado cannot meet your needs. It has eliminated my need to bring along the PDA, and it is nice having the ability to upload found caches to Groundspeak.

Of course, not everyone is willing to spend a few hundred bucks to beta test a new GPSr :lol:

I resemble these remarks... I do feel like a cheap ho for Gamin, but it sure works better than the Delorme that I sent back! And it will only get better. The Wherigo builders don't work right, but that's not the fault of the Colorado. There's no averaging, but I certainly would expect that to be fixed in the next firmware upgrade. And the battery meter seems pretty flaky, but the rechargeables do seem to work better than alkalines. I'm not sending mine back...

The biggest problem I had with my limited time using one in Vegas was the screen brightness. I thought it was harder to read than the 60csx. Is that any better now?

NO!

But honestly, in bright sunlight on a hike, it isn't really a problem. In the shade, or a car, you need to use the backlight. Again, with good NiMH batteries, you can run full backlight if you want, for up to 5 or 6 hours.

(Standard disclaimer: your mileage may vary)

When I'm in a car I plug my 60CS into the cigaretter lighter. This keeps the backlight on all the time (at night), which is really nice and it saves battery life. So I would think with the Colorado the cigarette lighter adaptor would be very handy (if they have one).

They do indeed have one that you can buy, and it is supposed to bring up the backlight to above what is possible on batteries alone. I believe it is the same cable that my Nuvi uses, so I may try it. We use Nuvis in the Liberty and Integra, and th Prius has factory navigation, so we've never tried to plug in the CO to try it.

Nuvis are very nice! Do you navigate to caches with your Nuvis?
I'm still using an older GPS so I can't do the POI thing. The Colorado is not getting good reports in the main forums so I'm holding off on those...

I've used the Colorado 300, loaded with City Nav and Topo 2008, on the last 3 hikes I did. On the last hike, FlagMan took his 400T. Neither of us had any major problems. I've found every cache I looked for on these hikes, and only had a couple of minor glitches that were resolved in the field. As long as you are willing to use high capacity NiMH batteries, and have installed the latest updates from Garmin, there is no reason that the Colorado cannot meet your needs. It has eliminated my need to bring along the PDA, and it is nice having the ability to upload found caches to Groundspeak.

Of course, not everyone is willing to spend a few hundred bucks to beta test a new GPSr :)

I resemble these remarks... I do feel like a cheap ho for Gamin, but it sure works better than the Delorme that I sent back! And it will only get better. The Wherigo builders don't work right, but that's not the fault of the Colorado. There's no averaging, but I certainly would expect that to be fixed in the next firmware upgrade. And the battery meter seems pretty flaky, but the rechargeables do seem to work better than alkalines. I'm not sending mine back...

The biggest problem I had with my limited time using one in Vegas was the screen brightness. I thought it was harder to read than the 60csx. Is that any better now?

NO!

But honestly, in bright sunlight on a hike, it isn't really a problem. In the shade, or a car, you need to use the backlight. Again, with good NiMH batteries, you can run full backlight if you want, for up to 5 or 6 hours.

When I'm in a car I plug my 60CS into the cigaretter lighter. This keeps the backlight on all the time (at night), which is really nice and it saves battery life. So I would think with the Colorado the cigarette lighter adaptor would be very handy (if they have one).

I would guess that any cigarette lighter adapter with a mini USB at the end would work, 'cause that is was you plug into the Colorado. I have one for my cellphone Bluetooth wireless Lt. Ohura thingy that I plug into my ear to communicate with aliens...

Of course, not everyone is willing to spend a few hundred bucks to beta test a new GPSr :)

NO!

I would guess that any cigarette lighter adapter with a mini USB at the end would work, 'cause that is was you plug into the Colorado. I have one for my cellphone Bluetooth wireless Lt. Ohura thingy that I plug into my ear to communicate with aliens...

Lt. Ohura... B) Come July we will all have to have those Lt. Ohura BT things in California.
THIS JUST IN!

After about 6-7 years of Geocaching..... I just found out how to upload hints onto my GPS...And here I wanted a new one just so I could upload hints and maps. B)

B) Will you tell us? I don't know how. I still rely on the "phone a friend method" and they don't always answer. tx

All you have to do is to put %hint in the cache description before you export from GSAK. I like to have the cache name there too, so I use: %smart=15 %hint instead. I lose 15 characters of the hint doing this but that's not a big deal. By the way, the guys using the Colorados are probably laughing at this... :) Edited by TrailGators
THIS JUST IN!

After about 6-7 years of Geocaching..... I just found out how to upload hints onto my GPS...And here I wanted a new one just so I could upload hints and maps. B)

B) Will you tell us? I don't know how. I still rely on the "phone a friend method" and they don't always answer. tx

All you have to do is to put %hint in the cache description before you export from GSAK. I like to have the cache name there too, so I use: %smart=15 %hint instead. I lose 15 characters of the hint doing this but that's not a big deal. By the way, the guys using the Colorados are probably laughing at this... :)

Another way is to use the POI export macro in GSAK and POI Loader you can get for free from Garmin. It loads them to your memory card instead of the internal memory of the GPS, that way you're not limited to 1000 caches, just the size of your memory card.

How would you like to have 10,000 caches on your GPS ready to go?

THIS JUST IN!

All you have to do is to put %hint in the cache description before you export from GSAK. I like to have the cache name there too, so I use: %smart=15 %hint instead. I lose 15 characters of the hint doing this but that's not a big deal. By the way, the guys using the Colorados are probably laughing at this... :)

Another way is to use the POI export macro in GSAK and POI Loader you can get for free from Garmin. It loads them to your memory card instead of the internal memory of the GPS, that way you're not limited to 1000 caches, just the size of your memory card.

Now if I could just figure out where that memory card goes on my 60CS? B)
THIS JUST IN!

B) Thanks Pat. I'll see if I can do it. If not, it's back to the ! team on speed dial. You and I both have MAP60CS..obsolete old "units", but I'm happy as long as I'm not in Vermont or St Louis or Virginia in the summer under trees. Yeah..I can't believe Rooster let Snake buy a Colorado!

THIS JUST IN!

Now if I could just figure out where that memory card goes on my 60CS? B)

Oops B)

:) Thanks Pat. I'll see if I can do it. If not, it's back to the ! team on speed dial. You and I both have MAP60CS..obsolete old "units", but I'm happy as long as I'm not in Vermont or St Louis or Virginia in the summer under trees.
I rarely lose reception with my 60CS. Even when I cached in Maryland and Virginia last summer, it wasn't that bad. When were you in Virginia?

B) Thanks Pat. I'll see if I can do it. If not, it's back to the ! team on speed dial. You and I both have MAP60CS..obsolete old "units", but I'm happy as long as I'm not in Vermont or St Louis or Virginia in the summer under trees. Yeah..I can't believe Rooster let Snake buy a Colorado!

"Look Hon, Garmin sent us this new unit to beta test for them." "It cost us absolutely nothing!" "Aren't you glad I signed up for that program?" :)

:D Thanks Pat. I'll see if I can do it. If not, it's back to the ! team on speed dial. You and I both have MAP60CS..obsolete old "units", but I'm happy as long as I'm not in Vermont or St Louis or Virginia in the summer under trees. Yeah..I can't believe Rooster let Snake buy a Colorado!

"Look Hon, Garmin sent us this new unit to beta test for them." "It cost us absolutely nothing!" "Aren't you glad I signed up for that program?" :D

Well then, it seems only right and proper that you should pass that freebie around so's the rest of us can beta-test it too.

Garmin would be proud of you for doing so. There'll be a little place in Heaven for you if you do so. Don't miss this rare

opportunity to do the right thang!

Me first,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

:D Thanks Pat. I'll see if I can do it. If not, it's back to the ! team on speed dial. You and I both have MAP60CS..obsolete old "units", but I'm happy as long as I'm not in Vermont or St Louis or Virginia in the summer under trees. Yeah..I can't believe Rooster let Snake buy a Colorado!

"Look Hon, Garmin sent us this new unit to beta test for them." "It cost us absolutely nothing!" "Aren't you glad I signed up for that program?" :D

Well then, it seems only right and proper that you should pass that freebie around so's the rest of us can beta-test it too.

Garmin would be proud of you for doing so. There'll be a little place in Heaven for you if you do so. Don't miss this rare

Me first,

Harmon

Of course, Harmon. I'd be glad to help!

Oh . . . wait . . . that won't work at all . . . I'd feel just awful if one of those occasional beta glitches caused you to DNF a cache. After all, it is important that you continue to show up those young whippersnappers by finding every cache, on every ridge between San Diego and the border. A DNF would ruin your reputation and I would never forgive myself.

Nope. Just can't do it. :D

Edited by Snake & Rooster

Me first,

Harmon

Oh . . . wait . . . that won't work at all . . . I'd feel just awful if one of those occasional beta glitches caused you to DNF a cache. After all, it is important that you continue to show up those young whippersnappers by finding every cache, on every ridge between San Diego and the border. A DNF would ruin your reputation and I would never forgive myself.

Now that Harmon has been ruled out as a Colorado beta-tester, that leaves me! :D

Me first,

Harmon

Now that Harmon has been ruled out as a Colorado beta-tester, that leaves me! :D

Sorry Pat, but I think all of that excess metal you are carrying around would throw off the super sensitive receiver. Nope, just wouldn't be right to make you miss all those caches.

Guess I'll just have to keep the dang thing myself, since I have so many DNFs that it doesn't matter. :D

Me first,

Harmon

Sorry Pat, but I think all of that excess metal you are carrying around would throw off the super sensitive receiver. Nope, just wouldn't be right to make you miss all those caches.

Guess I'll just have to keep the dang thing myself, since I have so many DNFs that it doesn't matter. :D

Fine! Then I'll just wait for the "California" to come out! The "California" comes with jpegs of thong muggles on the beach! :D Edited by TrailGators

Me first,

Harmon

Fine! Then I'll just wait for the "California" to come out! The "California" comes with jpegs of thong muggles on the beach! :D

Thong muggles? I'm not sure Rooster would let me have one of those. But, I want one too!

Me first,

Harmon

Fine! Then I'll just wait for the "California" to come out! The "California" comes with jpegs of thong muggles on the beach! :D

Thong muggles? I'm not sure Rooster would let me have one of those. But, I want one too!

:D

:( Thanks Pat. I'll see if I can do it. If not, it's back to the ! team on speed dial. You and I both have MAP60CS..obsolete old "units", but I'm happy as long as I'm not in Vermont or St Louis or Virginia in the summer under trees. Yeah..I can't believe Rooster let Snake buy a Colorado!

"Look Hon, Garmin sent us this new unit to beta test for them." "It cost us absolutely nothing!" "Aren't you glad I signed up for that program?" :)

Me first,

Harmon

Nope. Just can't do it. :o

Now that Harmon has been ruled out as a Colorado beta-tester, that leaves me! :(

Guess I'll just have to keep the dang thing myself, since I have so many DNFs that it doesn't matter. :(

:D

I could see the next cache war being all along the coast if that were true.

"Look Hon, Garmin sent us this new unit to beta test for them." "It cost us absolutely nothing!" "Aren't you glad I signed up for that program?" :o

Me first,

Harmon

Why I oughta ....

Wait a minute, ... I've got a reputation? Thank y' very much, somebody else said it was notoriety that I've got. Every ridge indeed ... don't I wish.

Edited by SD Rowdies

"Look Hon, Garmin sent us this new unit to beta test for them." "It cost us absolutely nothing!" "Aren't you glad I signed up for that program?" :(

Me first,

Harmon

Nope. Just can't do it. :o

Why I oughta ....

Wait a minute, ... I've got a reputation? Thank y' very much, somebody else said it was notoriety that I've got. Every ridge indeed ... don't I wish.

So Harmon?

You still hiding from Fattboy? :D:(:(

:( Thanks Pat. I'll see if I can do it. If not, it's back to the ! team on speed dial. You and I both have MAP60CS..obsolete old "units", but I'm happy as long as I'm not in Vermont or St Louis or Virginia in the summer under trees. Yeah..I can't believe Rooster let Snake buy a Colorado!

"Look Hon, Garmin sent us this new unit to beta test for them." "It cost us absolutely nothing!" "Aren't you glad I signed up for that program?" :(

Me first,

Harmon

Nope. Just can't do it. :(

Why I oughta ....

So Harmon?

You still hiding from Fattboy? :o:D:D

Yowza, fer-sure fer-sure.

Hope I can redezvous with Janie this morning without FATTBOY spotting me.

Rural Engineering in India

dc4f30d1-6e75-4a72-af02-5ee752d71cbc.jpg

This particular vehicle was spotted in a little village named Geejgarh in Rajasthan, India but similar vehicles can be found throughout the area. They have a top end speed of about 40mph but their normal operating speed is about 25mph (which is about as fast as you'd want to go on the local roads. Also the brakes aren't what you'd want them to be so a slower speed means a shorter stopping distance.)

db8afc89-4f71-4dfc-bf41-828aaa435807.jpg

Motive power is provided by a two stroke engine intended to be used to drive a well pump.

735a7cca-d902-4d56-acac-0ca3c3fafaae.jpg

The transmission, axles and frame are salvaged from Indian Army surplus.

While walking down the street one day, a US senator is tragically hit by a truck and dies.

His soul arrives in heaven and is met by St. Peter at the entrance.

"Welcome to heaven," says St. Peter. "Before you settle in, it seems there is a problem. We seldom see a high official around these parts, you see, so we're not sure what to do with you."

"No problem, just let me in," says the man.

"Well, I'd like to, but I have orders from higher up. What we'll do is have you spend one day in hell and one in heaven. Then, you can choose where to spend eternity."

"Really, I've made up my mind. I want to be in heaven," says the senator.

"I'm sorry, but we have our rules."

And with that, St. Peter escorts him to the elevator and he goes down, down, down to hell. The doors open and he finds himself in the middle of a green golf course. In the distance is a clubhouse and standing in front of it are all his friends and other politicians who had worked with him.

Everyone is very happy and in evening dress. They run to greet him, shake his hand, and reminisce about the good times they had while getting rich at the expense of the people. They play a friendly game of golf and then dine on lobster, caviar and champagne.

Also present is the devil, who really is a very friendly guy and who has a good time dancing and telling jokes. They are having such a good time that before he realizes it, it is time to go.

Everyone gives him a hearty farewell and waves while the elevator rises...

The elevator goes up, up, up and the door reopens on heaven where St. Peter is waiting for him.

"Now it's time to visit heaven."

So, 24 hours pass with the senator joining a group of contented souls moving from cloud to cloud, playing the harp and singing. They have a good time and, before he realizes it, the 24 hours have gone by and St. Peter returns.

"Well, then, you've spent a day in hell and another in heaven. Now choose your eternity."

The senator reflects for a minute, then he answers: "Well, I would never have said it before, I mean heaven has been delightful, but I think I would be better off in hell."

So, St. Peter escorts him to the elevator and he goes down, down, down to hell. Now the doors of the elevator open and he's in the middle of a barren land covered with waste and garbage.

He sees all his friends, dressed in rags, picking up the trash and putting it in black bags as more trash falls from above.

The devil comes over to him and puts his arm around his shoulder.

"I don't understand," stammers the senator. "Yesterday I was here and there was a golf course and clubhouse, and we ate lobster and caviar, drank champagne, and danced and had a great time. Now there's just a wasteland full of garbage and my friends look miserable.

What happened?"

The devil looks at him, smiles and says, "Yesterday we were campaigning...... Today you voted."

While walking down the street one day, a US senator is tragically hit by a truck and dies.

"Welcome to heaven," says St. Peter. "Before you settle in, it seems there is a problem. We seldom see a high official around these parts, you see, so we're not sure what to do with you."

"Well, I'd like to, but I have orders from higher up. What we'll do is have you spend one day in hell and one in heaven. Then, you can choose where to spend eternity."

And with that, St. Peter escorts him to the elevator and he goes down, down, down to hell. The doors open and he finds himself in the middle of a green golf course. In the distance is a clubhouse and standing in front of it are all his friends and other politicians who had worked with him.

Everyone is very happy and in evening dress. They run to greet him, shake his hand, and reminisce about the good times they had while getting rich at the expense of the people. They play a friendly game of golf and then dine on lobster, caviar and champagne.

Also present is the devil, who really is a very friendly guy and who has a good time dancing and telling jokes. They are having such a good time that before he realizes it, it is time to go.

The elevator goes up, up, up and the door reopens on heaven where St. Peter is waiting for him.

So, 24 hours pass with the senator joining a group of contented souls moving from cloud to cloud, playing the harp and singing. They have a good time and, before he realizes it, the 24 hours have gone by and St. Peter returns.

"Well, then, you've spent a day in hell and another in heaven. Now choose your eternity."

The senator reflects for a minute, then he answers: "Well, I would never have said it before, I mean heaven has been delightful, but I think I would be better off in hell."

So, St. Peter escorts him to the elevator and he goes down, down, down to hell. Now the doors of the elevator open and he's in the middle of a barren land covered with waste and garbage.

He sees all his friends, dressed in rags, picking up the trash and putting it in black bags as more trash falls from above.

"I don't understand," stammers the senator. "Yesterday I was here and there was a golf course and clubhouse, and we ate lobster and caviar, drank champagne, and danced and had a great time. Now there's just a wasteland full of garbage and my friends look miserable.

What happened?"

The devil looks at him, smiles and says, "Yesterday we were campaigning...... Today you voted."

We all should VOTE for them to go there. Are there any honest politicians, really. They always promise one thing and do another.

00020150.gif

What happened?"

We all should VOTE for them to go there. Are there any honest politicians, really. They always promise one thing and do another.

00020150.gif

I agree. That was a good joke by the way.

San Diegos newest cacher

5cffdfae-bb94-4e36-b1af-f00e0da43d13.jpg

Wyatt, 9lb 6oz 22.5in long!

SAY HELLO TO WYATT!

Hi Wyatt! Welcome buddy, and Happy Birthday. We'll have you out on the trails soon with the other geokids in our area.

Josh, what a cute travel bug! Bring him to the geoevent on the 19th...

CONGRATS!

That's the second photo posted of someone peeing in the past few weeks. At least we've shifted our attention away from the white socks pulled up too high... :laughing:
Say . . . Doesn't the guy peeing look a little like Toby's Gang? :laughing:

Can't a guy get a little privacy here? :D

Desperados all! Just wait until the stories leak out. It seems they got a little taste

of the old-tyme, reclusive back-country. Y're welcome.

Peein' and white socks? I don't think so.

Edited by SD Rowdies
This just in ...

7c60ea90-8f5f-46a8-a7e8-6d05cb20ed11.jpg

Y' can't keep a good woman down. Honk if you know where this is.

I'm guessing it's right about where this photo was taken...

(well, photos actually since this was sliced out of a couple of photos that were spliced together to make the original panorama shot...)

4b48a9e5-943d-4cbb-8313-c1ee0c5a84f7.jpg

And where would this be exactly? Unless Harmon's found another spot with the same angles (not to mention the same angel), it would be "Type IV Cache of Holding".

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
This just in ...

7c60ea90-8f5f-46a8-a7e8-6d05cb20ed11.jpg

Y' can't keep a good woman down. Honk if you know where this is.

I'm guessing it's right about where this photo was taken...

(well, photos actually since this was sliced out of a couple of photos that were spliced together to make the original panorama shot...)

4b48a9e5-943d-4cbb-8313-c1ee0c5a84f7.jpg

And where would this be exactly? Unless Harmon's found another spot with the same angles (not to mention the same angel),

it would be "Type IV Cache of Holding".

Wow! you good! Trailgators too. Now what about the walker dang it?

Edited by SD Rowdies