*** This Just In***

RocketMan

Ain't it a shame having to live like that? Have a fabulous time. ... of course you will.

By the way, when/if you hike through the bamboo forest be sure to make music by shoving the bamboo shafts around so that they bonk into neighboring shafts. Very satisfying experience.

Do you have coordinates for all of this stuff? Thanks, RM

Road to Hana for black-sand beach, bamboo-forest hike, and the Na'ili'ili-haele Waterfall Cache at

N20 52.750, W156 12.635

Olinda Pine Forest Cache at N20 48.076, W156 17.122.

Do you need a Maui PQ?

Edited by SD Rowdies
Road to Hana for black-sand beach, bamboo-forest hike, and the Na'ili'ili-haele Waterfall Cache at

N20 52.750, W156 12.635

Thanks Harmon. The Road to Hana was on our agenda and we did it yesterday. We didn't do the Na'ili'ili-haele Waterfall Cache but we saw many other cool things and hiked to the Waimoku Falls and the Bamboo forest in Haleakala NP. I only did one cache yesterday as the Kids don't want to go "caching all the time" like on our trip to the Big Island. Mrs. RocketMan and I are going to go caching a couple of mornings while they are sleeping in. Here are a few pics from the day:

Cache Location of the one cache that we did do.

06cbbaef-98fd-4d56-a1b6-bfce8bdcd920.jpg

Black sand beach.

90b1a85f-1510-43f6-a45a-a8ba894b798b.jpg

Rainbow Eucalyptus

500df6ac-b652-4561-9187-387cbb549e72.jpg

Haliconia.

44c2dc1f-5690-4bbd-9b46-1ed9b1f72aa9.jpg

Loving Siblings.

3593bc01-59d7-4bc7-a7d6-561482fc89cb.jpg

Makahiku Waterfall

35a58fd4-75ec-4f5d-bb7b-ab574fa532f0.jpg

Kaching Kristin in Bamboo

0212f980-d92c-41e4-89f0-2370390230b1.jpg

N20 52.750, W156 12.635

Thanks Harmon. The Road to Hana was on our agenda and we did it yesterday. We didn't do the Na'ili'ili-haele Waterfall Cache but we saw many other cool things and hiked to the Waimoku Falls and the Bamboo forest in Haleakala NP. I only did one cache yesterday as the Kids don't want to go "caching all the time" like on our trip to the Big Island. Mrs. RocketMan and I are going to go caching a couple of mornings while they are sleeping in. Here are a few pics from the day:

Cache Location of the one cache that we did do.

06cbbaef-98fd-4d56-a1b6-bfce8bdcd920.jpg

Black sand beach.

90b1a85f-1510-43f6-a45a-a8ba894b798b.jpg

Rainbow Eucalyptus

Haliconia.

44c2dc1f-5690-4bbd-9b46-1ed9b1f72aa9.jpg

Loving Siblings.

3593bc01-59d7-4bc7-a7d6-561482fc89cb.jpg

Makahiku Waterfall

35a58fd4-75ec-4f5d-bb7b-ab574fa532f0.jpg

Kaching Kristin in Bamboo

0212f980-d92c-41e4-89f0-2370390230b1.jpg

Dave,

Can't stand it, why am I here and you there? Come to think of it why do you have a better camera than me? Where did I go wrong?

Thanks for the great photos. You'll treasure the images as years go by. ... they make my Photoshop fingers itch.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

b42312d6-28f9-4623-8c11-96569b665145.jpg

Who knows what image lurks in the shadows of a snapshot?

Actually, the Rainbow Eucalyptus shot it the one that I did do a little level adjustement on.

Original:

c8a920eb-29ed-4620-8b26-3dba98c41242.jpg

Adjusted:

Note that I didn't take the time to adjust the trees separate from the background.

Attaboy Dave, good work. Try this quick-fix next time you have a dark shot like that, in fact, try it this time.

Open the dark image as Background layer. Duplicate the Background layer as in Ctrl-J. For the duplicated layer, as in "Layer 1," change the Layer Blend setting from "Normal" to "Screen."

If that doesn't brighten the image enough then duplicate "Layer 1" using Ctrl-J as many times as needed to achieve the brightness desired. If you overshoot a bit too bright then reduce the topmost layer's Opacity to taste. For this exercise let's assume that you duplicated the Background layer twice so now you have layers named Background, Layer 1, and Layer 1 copy. Select Layer 1 and Layer 1 copy and Merge them into a single layer that will take the name "Layer 1 copy."

That leaves the problem of a blown out sky, huh? Well here's something else you'll love to know.

Take that fancy Sony camera outside during the day and take a shot of some lovely blue sky. Load and open the blue-sky shot then press Ctrl-A to select and then Ctrl-C to copy of the blue sky image.

Select the Background layer and then click the "Add a new layer" icon to add a new blank layer named, oddly enough, Layer 1. Press Ctrl-V to paste the blue sky onto Layer 1. Make sure that the blue sky fills the frame, if need be use Ctrl-T and use the transform handles to drag the image as needed to fill the canvas.

Now select "Layer 1 copy." Double click the Thumbnail image of "Layer 1 copy." The "Layer Style" dialog will pop up.

Note the "Blend if: Gray" panel at the bottom-center of the Layer Style dialog. Beneath the "This Layer" control click and drag the white slider to the left until the blown-out sky blends into the underlying blue-sky image but stop before the blue blends into unwanted areas of "Layer 1 copy." Diddle the slider around until you blend away the blown-out sky of "Layer 1 copy" using the underlying blue sky. At the point press and hold the Alt key and then click and drag the white slider sections apart just a bit to achieve a gradual and thus subtle blend.

Layer blending eliminates the terrible challenge of trying to define a Selection that involves foreground foliage. No need for Selections of any sort in this exercise. Of course I haven't covered the final issue of color-correction to put some snap into the image so that the trees and foliage are apparent. That's sort of another subject for another time but isn't the result amazing? Look how far that dark image can be taken, all things are possible with Photoshop it seems. Thanks for posting the original.

Of course I understand that you and yours have much better Mauiesque things to do than photo editing. All I can say is follow your heart big guy, plenty of time for photo editing once you are at your workplace in Denver. <_<<_<

Say, is this another Photoshop lesson?

Aloha,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
I only did one cache yesterday as the Kids don't want to go "caching all the time" like on our trip to the Big Island. Mrs. RocketMan and I are going to go caching a couple of mornings while they are sleeping in.
The kids don't want to go caching??? What's up with that? <_< Edited by TrailGators
I only did one cache yesterday as the Kids don't want to go "caching all the time" like on our trip to the Big Island. Mrs. RocketMan and I are going to go caching a couple of mornings while they are sleeping in.
The kids don't want to go caching??? What's up with that? <_<

Uh-oh, now Dave has to wait on grandchildren.

... and besides, Harmon loves PUD Cake!

I'm not sure why but I'm having a lot of trouble enhancing this image.

db9e3ae8-f0cd-45dd-9c4f-b45d1223cde7.jpg

Is that the 2007 PUD-Cake Queen? ... ooo, that doesn't sound right does it? Sorry, honest I am.

While you are there find out how to put that high-gloss finish on coconut shells.

Edited by SD Rowdies
This just in ...

132caac7-592c-452c-96b0-6a0a11d5dd4f.jpg

Friendship is a wonderful thang. $kimmer made me do it!

You are in soooo much trouble!

Soooo, I was looking at LLOT's chart on forum postings. Hmmmm, seems I've been almost always on THIS thread......................I wonder why that is?????????

Can you honk if you know where this cache is?? Talk about a true drive-by! :laughing:

Splashette :)

This just in ...

1996f324-ca34-49e6-a47d-e1e992a52a81.jpg

Honk if you know where this is.

Honkity Honk Honk!! This one really came out good Harmon!

Wonder who those 'chicks' are in the red convertable???

Splashette :laughing:

Splashette darlin',

You deserve to ride in a red convertable, especially after the way I pick on you and $kimmer. The way you laughed when I thought of the butt-shot caption was sublime.

Your pal,

Harmon

This just in ...

41fb5806-0570-441b-8fdb-b00ea3d2ba77.jpg

Say, I've been thinking of a new series of rocky-macro streambed caches for MTRP. Whaddayathink?

Make it a 20 waypoint multi in a 20 foot radius and you'll really have something fun! :unsure:

Thanks for the great suggestion. That should make up for the lack of poison oak at the first waypoint.

This just in ...

Say, I've been thinking of a new series of rocky-macro streambed caches for MTRP. Whaddayathink?

;):D Kind of looks like our new one on the Strand!
This is why they invented the ignore button for us non-masochists... :D

:unsure: Death To Rockpiles! :blink: ( :D )

Shouldn't y'all encourage really old Geocachers such as me?

By the way, that's an actual MTRP streambed photo taken during my last clean-up outing north of the fifty-two. Colorful eh-wot?

Edited by SD Rowdies
This just in ...

;):D Kind of looks like our new one on the Strand!
This is why they invented the ignore button for us non-masochists... :D

:unsure: Death To Rockpiles! :blink: ( :D )

Death to rockpiles? ... and this from Cubic Zirconium Geocachers?

Edited by SD Rowdies
This just in ...

:unsure::blink: Kind of looks like our new one on the Strand!

Thanks for the warning.

Hey......the Geobabes found Jodi's cache on the Strand in under 10 seconds today!!!!

No runs, no drips, no errors!

This just in ...

:blink:;) Kind of looks like our new one on the Strand!

Thanks for the warning.

Hey......the Geobabes found Jodi's cache on the Strand in under 10 seconds today!!!!

Just a handy metal detector.... :unsure:
This just in ...

:unsure::blink: Kind of looks like our new one on the Strand!

Thanks for the warning.

Yeah, must be because they didn't take me along today. Also it was my turn to drive so I missed my free lunch rotation.

Been sitting by my dad's bedside at Scripps Memorial for three days. Sure reminded me of seeing BikeDog flown into that place in January 2006. Three days sitting in a visitor's chair so why is it that my neck that hurts so much?

This just in ...

:blink:;) Kind of looks like our new one on the Strand!

Thanks for the warning.

Just a handy metal detector.... :unsure:

Don't laugh, $kimmer has and uses a metal-detecting wand. That woman is a full-service Geocacher I swear.

Edited by SD Rowdies
:blink: Death To Rockpiles! ;) ( :D )
Death to rockpiles? ... and this from Cubic Zirconium Geocachers?

OK, good point... :unsure:

How about you set up yours and we'll set up one that looks like this and we'll see which one is popular! :D

b642a4ed-8d50-498b-87d4-a81be609e6b4.jpg

(Does anyone have a friend in the diamond business...?)

Hmm, le'me get back to you on that.

What next, some nut'll put out a barrel of film canisters y' have to mess with.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Been sitting by my dad's bedside at Scripps Memorial for three days. Sure reminded me of seeing BikeDog flown into that place in January 2006. Three days sitting in a visitor's chair so why is it that my neck that hurts so much?

Very sorry to hear that. :unsure: Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Sorry to hear about your dad, Harmon.... :blink:

Very sorry to hear that. :unsure: Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Sorry to hear about your dad, Harmon.... :blink:

Thanks very much for the good wishes.

Basic issue is congestive heart falure at ninety-three years of age. Side effect this time around was fluid in his chest cavity making it hard for him to breath for the past week. Diuretic medicine into his IV reduced the fluid so that his breathing is somewhat normal once again. He'll get diuretic pills along with the other eight or nine pills he takes each day. Bottom line is that we took him to the hospital for a three-day pee and that dried out his chest cavity. Ain't medical science wonderful?

So was he delighted to feel better? As soon as I brought him home he lit up a huge cigar, a twice-a-day ritual along with a daily shot of whiskey. What else could you expect from an old horse-cavalry, mechanized cavalry, airborne trooper? Born in 1913 for crying out loud, in a west Texas dugout with dirt floor and sod roof. His family moved from Fluvana to Clayton Texas in an ox-drawn covered wagon, no foolin'.

Seems like I'm the one that's wasted from three days beside his bed in that danged visitor's chair.

Life is good,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies