*** This Just In***

RocketMan

As far as taking a cache, how did he know that he wasn't walking off with an innocent victim's unapproved cache? Hopefully that wasn't the case! I wouldn't have taken it in either case.... :D
You really think there are innocent victims placing caches in MTRP? :D (actually, from my reading of the forums/logs, that's pretty much what happened, except he didn't walk off with it, just activated it before the owner did - ugh! :lol: However, I can't quite make out the details in the scrolling newsflash text at the bottom of the forum screen... Hopefully when the smoke blows away, someone will let us know what's going on near the front lines!)
As far as taking a cache, how did he know that he wasn't walking off with an innocent victim's unapproved cache? Hopefully that wasn't the case! I wouldn't have taken it in either case.... :D
You really think there are innocent victims placing caches in MTRP? :D (actually, from my reading of the forums/logs, that's pretty much what happened, except he didn't walk off with it, just activated it before the owner did - ugh! :lol:
Same difference....Geez! Who's cache was it? If I were him I'd have Marko transfer it back to it's rightful owner. Sounds like this war has crossed the line set by the Geo-neva Convention!
You really think there are innocent victims placing caches in MTRP? :D (actually, from my reading of the forums/logs, that's pretty much what happened, except he didn't walk off with it, just activated it before the owner did - ugh! :lol:
Same difference....Geez! Who's cache was it? If I were him I'd have Marko transfer it back to it's rightful owner. Sounds like this war has crossed the line set by the Geo-neva Convention!

Nice Play on Words :lol:

BTW: For what it's worth, I agree with what TG is saying unless both parties were knowingly in on the joke.

Edited by RocketMan
He offered to - I'm not sure he knows who the victim is? I just hope this "war" does not jeopardize our "reputation" in the park. :lol: (I say that not knowing what our reputation was before the war)
He offered to - I'm not sure he knows who the victim is? I just hope this "war" does not jeopardize our "reputation" in the park. :lol: (I say that not knowing what our reputation was before the war)

I found the new cache page. Per Gobolts! note it was a newbie's first cache...Ouch! :D

I see Richard did post a note to give it back but I doubt that the newbie knows how to find the note....

Edited by TrailGators

I found the new cache page. Per Gobolts! note it was a newbie's first cache...Ouch! :D

It is Snapping Turtle...and it was his second cache hide. I was with him when he hid it...I think it is funny and I think he will also...

Please, there is no reason to worry! Richard will TX the cache to ST if he is interested.

The only thing we need to worry about is the Evil Gen. Cegrube Marx!

You really think there are innocent victims placing caches in MTRP? :lol: (actually, from my reading of the forums/logs, that's pretty much what happened, except he didn't walk off with it, just activated it before the owner did - ugh! :lol:
He offered to - I'm not sure he knows who the victim is? I just hope this "war" does not jeopardize our "reputation" in the park. :D (I say that not knowing what our reputation was before the war)

I found the new cache page. Per Gobolts! note it was a newbie's first cache...Ouch! B)

It is Snapping Turtle...and it was his second cache hide. I was with him when he hid it...I think it is funny and I think he will also...

Please, there is no reason to worry! Richard will TX the cache to ST if he is interested.

Glad to hear that....I mean.....about the cache! I'm not sure how Cegrube became known as a Markist. Marking too many caches first......I guess! :D

You really think there are innocent victims placing caches in MTRP? :) (actually, from my reading of the forums/logs, that's pretty much what happened, except he didn't walk off with it, just activated it before the owner did - ugh! :D
He offered to - I'm not sure he knows who the victim is? I just hope this "war" does not jeopardize our "reputation" in the park. :D (I say that not knowing what our reputation was before the war)

I found the new cache page. Per Gobolts! note it was a newbie's first cache...Ouch! :)

Glad to hear that....I mean.....about the cache! I'm not sure how Cegrube became known as a Markist. Marking too many caches first......I guess! :)

:):D Truly you all must see the humor in this story. There is a war raging...every day a new cache pops up .1 miles from the last one..all in a row....this spot was the only "open" section on this trail. The beta testers were Gobolts! and Duncan!...it all seemed to fit. We expected this to be activated momentarily by Harmon. It was really priceless. The cache actually fell apart and had to be repaired before activating it. The 5 of us were laughing so hard thinking of the "coupe". It really was all in the spirit of the "game". I hope snapping turtle is ok and I know none of us..duganrm especially..would have "stolen" a cache. It kind of ruins the fun knowing it was his. Don't blame duganrm..he was just the only one with a "source" sitting at a computer. Hopefully ST will read the forums and know he "particpated " in the 2006 MTRP wars :)

As far as taking a cache, how did he know that he wasn't walking off with an innocent victim's unapproved cache? Hopefully that wasn't the case! I wouldn't have taken it in either case.... :)
You really think there are innocent victims placing caches in MTRP? :D (actually, from my reading of the forums/logs, that's pretty much what happened, except he didn't walk off with it, just activated it before the owner did - ugh! :)
He offered to - I'm not sure he knows who the victim is? I just hope this "war" does not jeopardize our "reputation" in the park. :) (I say that not knowing what our reputation was before the war)

Glad to hear that....I mean.....about the cache! I'm not sure how Cegrube became known as a Markist. Marking too many caches first......I guess! :)

:D:) Truly you all must see the humor in this story. There is a war raging...every day a new cache pops up .1 miles from the last one..all in a row....this spot was the only "open" section on this trail. The beta testers were Gobolts! and Duncan!...it all seemed to fit. We expected this to be activated momentarily by Harmon. It was really priceless. The cache actually fell apart and had to be repaired before activating it. The 5 of us were laughing so hard thinking of the "coupe". It really was all in the spirit of the "game". I hope snapping turtle is ok and I know none of us..duganrm especially..would have "stolen" a cache. It kind of ruins the fun knowing it was his. Don't blame duganrm..he was just the only one with a "source" sitting at a computer. Hopefully ST will read the forums and know he "particpated " in the 2006 MTRP wars :)

I didn't see the humor at first because I heard the punchline without hearing the joke.....But if you guys walked "over nine miles" according to Miragee then there should be room for 90 caches on that trail! That means when I get time to finally visit that area that there is room for a few more! I hope you have a geo-sense-of-humor! BWA HA HA HA!! :D:D:D:D

You really think there are innocent victims placing caches in MTRP? :D (actually, from my reading of the forums/logs, that's pretty much what happened, except he didn't walk off with it, just activated it before the owner did - ugh! :D
He offered to - I'm not sure he knows who the victim is? I just hope this "war" does not jeopardize our "reputation" in the park. :) (I say that not knowing what our reputation was before the war)

I found the new cache page. Per Gobolts! note it was a newbie's first cache...Ouch! :)

:):) Truly you all must see the humor in this story. There is a war raging...every day a new cache pops up .1 miles from the last one..all in a row....this spot was the only "open" section on this trail. The beta testers were Gobolts! and Duncan!...it all seemed to fit. We expected this to be activated momentarily by Harmon. It was really priceless. The cache actually fell apart and had to be repaired before activating it. The 5 of us were laughing so hard thinking of the "coupe". It really was all in the spirit of the "game". I hope snapping turtle is ok and I know none of us..duganrm especially..would have "stolen" a cache. It kind of ruins the fun knowing it was his. Don't blame duganrm..he was just the only one with a "source" sitting at a computer. Hopefully ST will read the forums and know he "particpated " in the 2006 MTRP wars :D

I didn't see the humor at first because I heard the punchline without hearing the joke.....But if you guys walked "over nine miles" according to Miragee then there should be room for 90 caches on that trail! That means when I get time to finally visit that area that there is room for a few more! I hope you have a geo-sense-of-humor! BWA HA HA HA!! :D:D:D:)

Well there may be some room left on those trails; however, there's still some sleeper caches out there that haven't come into play as yet. Besides that, several new placements popped up on the northern front beyond Highway 52 just today.

As to the cache that cegrube picked up, it was way off trail on the western flank of North Fortuna where any new Geotrail would be very visible from afar. Carl picked it up out of respect for MTRP trail rules and regulations and may well have kept some finder from being rightly chastised by a park ranger.

With only one exception that I am aware of the many new MTRP Cache War placements have respected park rules and regulations.

Edited by SD Rowdies
As far as taking a cache, how did he know that he wasn't walking off with an innocent victim's unapproved cache? Hopefully that wasn't the case! I wouldn't have taken it in either case.... :)
You really think there are innocent victims placing caches in MTRP? :) (actually, from my reading of the forums/logs, that's pretty much what happened, except he didn't walk off with it, just activated it before the owner did - ugh! :)

Glad to hear that....I mean.....about the cache! I'm not sure how Cegrube became known as a Markist. Marking too many caches first......I guess! :D

:D:D Truly you all must see the humor in this story. There is a war raging...every day a new cache pops up .1 miles from the last one..all in a row....this spot was the only "open" section on this trail. The beta testers were Gobolts! and Duncan!...it all seemed to fit. We expected this to be activated momentarily by Harmon. It was really priceless. The cache actually fell apart and had to be repaired before activating it. The 5 of us were laughing so hard thinking of the "coupe". It really was all in the spirit of the "game". I hope snapping turtle is ok and I know none of us..duganrm especially..would have "stolen" a cache. It kind of ruins the fun knowing it was his. Don't blame duganrm..he was just the only one with a "source" sitting at a computer. Hopefully ST will read the forums and know he "particpated " in the 2006 MTRP wars :D

I didn't see the humor at first because I heard the punchline without hearing the joke.....But if you guys walked "over nine miles" according to Miragee then there should be room for 90 caches on that trail! That means when I get time to finally visit that area that there is room for a few more! I hope you have a geo-sense-of-humor! BWA HA HA HA!! :D:D:D:)

Well there may be some room left on those trails; however, there's still some sleeper caches out there that haven't come into play as yet. Besides that, several new placements popped up on the northern front beyond Highway 52 just today.

As to the cache that cegrube picked up, it was way off trail on the western flank of North Fortuna where any new Geotrail would be very visible from afar. Carl picked it up out of respect for MTRP trail rules and regulations and may well have kept some finder from being rightly chastised by a park ranger.

With only one exception that I am aware of the many new MTRP Cache War placements have respected park rules and regulations.

I always try to follow the rules of the Geo-Neva Convention...........and the park rules too! :D

blah blah blah....

Geez, I ignore this thread for a few days and look what happens. I work with Snapping Turtle at the zoo, he's a good friend I've known since before geocaching. I actually converted him to the darkside. Anyhoo, it's no big deal. I'll let Richard know if he wants to "adopt" the cache back. I doubt he'll care though. I thought it was funny having a sleeper cache!

D!

Edit: Not that it matters, but ST has been caching for over two years, not a nube.

Edited by Duncan!

blah blah blah....

Geez, I ignore this thread for a few days and look what happens. I work with Snapping Turtle at the zoo, he's a good friend I've known since before geocaching. I actually converted him to the darkside. Anyhoo, it's no big deal. I'll let Richard know if he wants to "adopt" the cache back. I doubt he'll care though. I thought it was funny having a sleeper cache!

D!

Edit: Not that it matters, but ST has been caching for over two years, not a nube.

Over two years and only one hide...He is worse then D JollyMon!

This just in ....

b4d6939b-d208-44a5-b9fe-65b72671874a.jpg

Dhsundance and Tombmaker. Honk if you know where this is.

Trailgators,

Thought you might like to see that foreground/background Channel Blending approach I described to you. Shot the frame exposed for the background, adjusted levels for another frame with foreground exposure, and then channel-blended for result. In this instance I used the green channel. Absolutely no selection work involved.

Might be a good Banter lesson in that it teaches how to shoot this type of counter-intuitive composition in the wild to resolve silhouetted subjects or avoid burned-in skies. Not bad huh?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
This just in ....

Trailgators,

Thought you might like to see that foreground/background Channel Blending approach I described to you. Shot the frame exposed for the background, adjusted levels for another frame with foreground exposure, and then channel-blended for result. In this instance I used the green channel. Absolutely no selection work involved.

Might be a good Banter lesson in that it teaches how to shoot this type of counter-intuitive composition in the wild to resolve silhouetted subjects or avoid burned-in skies. Not bad huh?

Harmon

Honk - It's in California right?

This just in ....

Trailgators,

Harmon

I was going to say on top of a rock somewhere around the San Diego area! :anibad:

Say Harmon would you mind posting a couple of small photos of the two that you blended? I think I can see what you meant but a visual would help me see it better! :laughing:

This just in ....

Trailgators,

Harmon

I was going to say on top of a rock somewhere around the San Diego area! :anibad:

Say Harmon would you mind posting a couple of small photos of the two that you blended? I think I can see what you meant but a visual would help me see it better! :laughing:

Pat,

There's actually only one shot that was pre-exposed on the sky and then reframed for the final composition. The second shot with level adjustment was prepared in Photoshop. At any rate I'll post the two images I actually used for the channel-blend operation.

The point is that when confronted with bright backgrounds such as the sky in this shot it's best but counter-intuitive to expose for the sky rather than for the darker foreground if one knows how to use Photoshop to accomplish a channel-blend to achieve foreground/background exposure agreement.

Edited by SD Rowdies

c1baaafc-20e7-419e-bea7-dfb46e8c97a5.jpg

This is the original shot that was pre-exposed for the sky. Note that the foreground is too dark but the sky is decently exposed on purpose. That's the counter-intuitive part. Compare this original shot to the channel-blended shot in the previous post. The good news is that consumer digital cameras will tend to shoot this sort of shot if the exposure option is by default zone rather than spot.

55f8b198-0204-4dce-bef4-5423891bff7b.jpg

This is a copy of the original shot that was altered by dragging the center levels-slider left until the foreground was lightened. In this copy the sky is burned in but the foreground is pretty good even though I went a bit to far with the Levels adjustment just to make my point.

Channel-blend them as I described in a recent email.

This technique works if and only if the two images have the exact bit-for-bit image data. Trying to shoot both shots in the field won't work because the two images will differ no matter how hard you try to frame them the same. Also the human subjects and vegetation will move some or a lot between shots.

Also note that this method won't work if the original shot is pre-exposed on the foreground rather than the background. Counter-intuitive once again.

How's that for some insider advise on shooting such shots in the field. Even though it is counter-intuitive it produces a great result with Photoshop. No more blown-out skies and underexposed subjects is a good thing.

By the way, ain't them two boys handsome?

Edited by SD Rowdies
*** This Just In *** - Strange weather around here.

Yep! Welcome to Colorado -- where if you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes.

Back in January 1989, when we was living in Boulder, we underwent a 90 degree temperature swing in under twelve hours. It was 70 degrees and all the plants were thinkin' it was an early spring and then, little past midnight a cold front came through and we were at 20 below. :)<_<:)

There is one Colorado weather bet, though, that's been pretty solid: It won't snow in July. :)

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I'm just catching up with all the Forum activity since I got back from my adventure . . .

*** This Just In *** - Strange weather around here.

Yesterday w/high of 80 F

fe519257-7f67-4003-a73f-51780a908220.jpg

Today

c365f8a3-e9bd-4f27-bd30-ff6fe3c12cfd.jpg

When I drove through Colorado Springs, and Castle Rock, and Denver on my way to visit my mother last week, I was driving though weather like that in the second picture.

It was a good thing I had new tires . . .

Fortunately, the weather on the west side of the Rockies was much nicer for the six nights I camped out during my 11-day adventure. :)

This just in ....

4c4e26c6-be1a-497d-9484-424ccf49b34d.jpg

Sorry Harmon...that one is a bit big the engine came from an F-8C Crusader .

However comma....nice work :rolleyes:

Yeah, sure, the Crusader was being transported on that Air Force cargo bird. Yeah, that's it ... and if you believe that then I've got a couple of spots for new caches in MTRP that I'll sell y'.

Oddly enough I once was a bench mechanic for F8 fire-control radars.

Edited by SD Rowdies

This just in ....

4c4e26c6-be1a-497d-9484-424ccf49b34d.jpg

Sorry Harmon...that one is a bit big the engine came from an F-8C Crusader .

However comma....nice work :rolleyes:

Yeah, sure, the Crusader was being transported on that Air Force cargo bird. Yeah, that's it ... and if you believe that then I've got a couple of spots for new caches in MTRP that I'll sell y'.

Oddly enough I once was a bench mechanic for F8 fire-control radars.

That was a fun time with the Geobabes, but I'll never be able to fill your shoes Harmon. Thats great.