Gc Uk Chat Room

Why not come and join the fun...Evenings are the busiest but you will find folks in there at all times of the day.

The instructions may look a little complicated but so long as you follow them carefully it is very easy.

The following link will allow you to get in to StuartP's Geocaching Chat Room without downloading a piece of software - although you will need to have 'Java' installed. (If you have problems loading the webpage see the notes on Java below).

www.hokesters.co.uk/IRC/

Click the link above and then bookmark it for future use.

You will have to wait a moment whilst the applet logs on.

When you see 'End of MOTD Command' you are logged on to the server.

*NOTE 1. If you don't get 'End of MOTD Command' and you can see 'GeoGuest Nickname already in use'. This means someone else is logging on. Allow a couple of moments before refreshing the web browser (F5).

When logged on please type the following;

/nick *your cache name* (eg. /nick hokesters and press enter.

*NOTE 2. Your Chat Room Nickname must not contain anything other than alphanumeric characters and no spaces you may use hyphen '-' or underscore '_'.

when you have logged your nickname now type;

/join geocaching

You are now ready to chat - Enjoy!

Java Notes -

You must have Java installed to run this webpage. Java is a small add-on for Internet Explorer or Firefox which allows your browser to run small programs within the browser window.

If you do not have Java installed you should be prompted to install it when you first run the chatroom link. If not it could be because of your security settings.

Visit Java Home an click the 'Windows XPI - Download'.

Follow the instructions then try to reload the chat room link. If you are still having problems it could be security settings in your browser.

In Firefox - Tools>>Options>>Web Features - ensure both Enable Java and Enable Javascript are ticked.

In IE - Tools>>Options>>Advanced - ensure Java is enabled.

If you are still having problems it is most likely to be your firewall settings. At this point you need to contact the manufacturer/supplier/administrator of the firewall.

Of course if you are IRC savvy and have a stand-alone IRC client (such as mIrc or IceChat) you can follow these settings;

IRC Server: greed.uk.nixhelp.org

Server Port: 6667

Channel: #geocaching

We look forward to seeing you in there.

I can't get in to the page.

I have loaded Java.

I get a message 'Your current securiyu settings prohibit running Active X

controls on this page as a result the page may not display correctly'

HELP. ;) I want to come and chat and maybe wind you all up.

Hi McD,

You need to change the java settings in your browser. There are instructions for that in my first message at the top of the thread.

If you are still struggling give me a shout.

Si

I can't get in to the page.

I have loaded Java.

I get a message 'Your current securiyu settings prohibit running Active X

controls on this page as a result the page may not display correctly'

HELP. ;) I want to come and chat and maybe wind you all up.

Did you get this solved?

If you are using IE6 then you should have got a beige alert bar under your toolbars. Clicking on that should have allowed the activex.

What's the URL for this thing?

If you mean the url for entering the chat... I believe it's all in the top post of this thread, along with the essential instructions. Not got round to trying it myself yet. The nights haven't quite drawn in enough. I'm still planning a few new caches before the weather puts me off.

Could you tell me the IRC network, channel and room in use here please...

So I can use my IRC client rather than the Java one...

Pid

Its on the post at the top of this thread but as it's a long way up to there the answer is,

IRC Server: greed.uk.nixhelp.org

Server Port: 6667

Channel: #geocaching

You can also use lust or envy in place of greed :rolleyes: